• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barreled Action - 300WM - for MPA hybrid build?

ufg8rmike

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2018
Looking to do an MPA hunting rifle build. Currently running a Seekins SP10 in 6.5cm for whitetail, but looking to add something with a little more knockdown, that will also serve as my precision rifle.

The main goal however, is to out shoot my buds high end rifles at the range. Looking for sub MOA in a large, popular hunting caliber and decided on 300WM.

I'm only coming up with short action, barreled actions like Axiom, Defiance etc. Any suggestions on barreled action 300WM for drop in on a MPA chassis?

I do not want a carbon fiber barrel, experience with them so far has been inconsistent.

One of the bighorn barreled actions from Keystone
Both the barrels I got from him were amazing.

Bugholes, WTO, LRI and Short action are also great sources.
A LRI barrel on one of the open top mausingfeilds would be amazing for a hammering hunter build.

Thank you! Leaning towards the Bighorn at the moment, however I changed caliber to 300 PRC which opens up my option to the Curtis custom as well. What’s the current consensus on switch lug? WTO the best? What‘s the full range of caliber options on a 300 PRC with a switch lug?

Lots of companies make shouldered barrels for several aftermarket actions so you just need a rear entry barrel wrench and torque wrench. The WTO switch lug system or the ARC barloc are other popular options. Like Steel head says, a Mausingfield is a great choice. That action is available with a .588 bolt head in addition to the other 4 common sizes so some form of switch barrel setup is possible with hundreds(literally) of cartridge options

Edit: there are dozens of great cartridges available for the .535 bolt face. My list, I want to do this so bad also, would be;
257 blackjack
6.5 prc
7 saum
300 prc
338 edge