• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrell help.

kickinneon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2008
Eastern kentucky
I'm think about building a .300 win mag and was wondering what some of you recommend on barrels. This will be my first build so feel free to give me any extra info that i might need along the way.

The build will look something like this.

Aic stock (maybe)
Remington 700 long action with all the bells and whistles that can be done to it.
Rws muzzle brake
Harris bipod.

Re: Barrell help.

I recommend you call your gunsmith, tell him what you want to shoot through the barrel and how you intend to use it. Then let him choose the blank.

It's more about HOW the blank is installed and chambered than it is about who makes it (when comparing top end barrels). Chances are any rifle 'smith worth his salt has seen more barrels in a year than you will in a lifetime. You pay for his expertise. You might as well get the most out of it.

If you don't have a gunsmith in mind, THAT would be the question to ask the forum.
wink.gif

Oh, and I tend to leave off the "bells and whistles". They usually get in the way of my shooting.

The gunsmith that i have used in the past recommend me to use a shilen barrel. he is only going to charge me $325 to do everything that can be done to it thats including the barrel.

It also depends were you mount the bells and whistles. i tie mine to the front of the stock. LOL

Not sure what "everything that can be done to it" is including but $325 sounds like the price of the barrel alone.

He said for $325 he would get the barrel / lap the bolt/ thread the barrel and install the brake/tune the trigger/duracoat everything/ bed the action if needed. I dont know if im forget anything or not.

He said for $325 he would get the barrel / lap the bolt/ thread the barrel and install the brake/tune the trigger/duracoat everything/ bed the action if needed. I dont know if im forget anything or not.

If you can get all that work done for $325 take the deal while its offered! Guarantee you won't find that much work by anybody else for that price!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kickinneon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He said for $325 he would get the barrel / lap the bolt/ thread the barrel and install the brake/tune the trigger/duracoat everything/ bed the action if needed. I dont know if im forget anything or not. </div></div>That's a deal!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Night poacher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kickinneon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He said for $325 he would get the barrel / lap the bolt/ thread the barrel and install the brake/tune the trigger/duracoat everything/ bed the action if needed. I dont know if im forget anything or not. </div></div>That's a deal! </div></div>

Only if it's done right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only if it's done right.</div></div>

Bingo! The barrels alone run $248 for a SS matchgrade unturned blank on Shilen's site. The select matchgrade is $323. I am sure he can get them for less being a smith but even if he got it for $150 he is only charging $175 to do work that would be about $500 most other places.

If you have used him and know his work to be good then go for it but make sure he gets a good barrel and not a second
wink.gif

There are lots of good barrel makers. Choose a 10-twist and use a reputable 'smith.

Ya i was thinking of the select match grade, sounds too good to be true for all that work but I could be wrong.

He was looking up the barrels in brownells catalog. He installed my brake on my rem 700 .308 and did an also job. He has been in the bussiness for over 25 years he said. He has been recommended by severeal local gun shops.

325 for a barrel and print job he must be a heck of a friend. If he can do it for that get. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kickinneon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gunsmith that i have used in the past recommend me to use a shilen barrel. he is only going to charge me $325 to do everything that can be done to it thats including the barrel.

It also depends were you mount the bells and whistles. i tie mine to the front of the stock. LOL </div></div>

Just so you know what those services usually cost: truing action/threading/chambering/installing barrel usually runs from $250-350, threading the barrel for a brake is about $100, coating is about $150-200, bedding is around $150-200 and a trigegr job is about another $75-100.

So for only about $150 ontop of the barrel cost for all that work it is quite a deal.

I was quoted $600+ locally to install a PacNor Supermatch on my 700 and thread the muzzle. (price included the blank)

While "I" wouldn't choose a Shilen, if he is going to do the deal for $325 and you trust him, then that might be a good way to go.

HOWEVER if he didn't mention anything about truing the action, this would concern me. I know some smiths that will not attach their name to a barrel job unless they true the action when they install the barrel. This is NOT just lapping the lugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HOWEVER if he didn't mention anything about truing the action, this would concern me.</div></div>

I saw that too.
Shilen chromoly barrels run $158 dealer cost which would match up with the $160 to $180 estimate given above.

The gunsmith I used on my .308 only charged me $40 for the following stuff.

Thread the barrel.
Clock and install the brake.
Tune the trigger from alittle over 6 pounds to 2.25 pounds.

You got a deal...if the work is good.

The key is, good smiths know their time is worth money. They don't often give it away. They do sometimes hook you up if you are a friend, they owe you a favor or they just feel like it. It's like anything else in life.

However if a guys is going to give you a "deal" and charge you half of what a job usually costs, you may want to ask yourself "why" before you hand over a couple grand worth of rifle.

I am kind of funny like that. Even to the point of allowing a smith to work on a couple of small jobs so I can see his work, customer service, and eyeball his shop before I order up expensive work.