• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrell recessed for bolt with a Surgeon SA .308?

IrishRifle

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2008
Republic of Ireland
Hi Guys,
Given that the Surgeon tread is .950" long compared to the Remy .700" tread, does a barrel which is to be fitted to a Surgeon SA .308 need to be recessed for the bolt/lugs the same as the Remy 700 or can the bolt sit flush?

Regards,

Irishrifle.

Re: Barrell recessed for bolt with a Surgeon SA .308?

Same three ring / counterbore as a Rem. Just a bit shorter. Most Sturgens (just a little dig) are less than Rems--- .140 vs. .150 --- plus clearance of course.

my surgeon measures .145 depth and .695 circumference. i cut to .150 and .700 respectively.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my surgeon measures .145 depth and .695 circumference. i cut to .150 and .700 respectively.

chuck </div></div>

.700" or .705" counterbore? if the bolt nose is .695" <span style="font-style: italic">diameter</span>, .0025" clearance per side is not very much.

Actually the bolt nose recess is not even needed. Remington designed it as a safety feature. So you can actually make it as big as you like. If you have a little more clearance for a field rifle it won't hurt a thing. .705 is normally what is commonly seen.

OK guys, Thanks for the replies but I'm a little confused. Here it is in a nut shell.

I have a .308 barrel which has already been chambered but not treaded. It's a Palma 95 chamber setup for 155smk at 2.8" OAL which will put the bullet .025" off the lands. I'd like to keep these specs.

As you can see from the photos below, the chamber has been cut to a dept which leaves the Lapua case protruding about 3mm beyond the end of the barrel. As I said before, this barrel will be fitted to a Surgeon Target Short Action with the .473" bolt face.

So my question is; will the chamber on this barrel have to be lengthened to allow for the bolt recess and if so by how much, or can it be fitted as is to the Surgeon action?

Barrel01.jpg

Barrel02.jpg

Regards,

IrishRifle.

If you WANT the boltnose recess, then that chamber will have to be cut deeper.
If you DON'T want the recess then just thread and set the headspace.

DocEd,
Thanks for the reply. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm not a gunsmith.

So, my next question is; Do I NEED a boltnose recess for some function, accuracy or safety reason? Or is it a leftover side effect of the shorter tread area of the Remy 700 which the Surgeon can do without?

Regards,

IrisRifle.

In my understanding as HateCa posted above, it was designed by remington as an added safety feature. The 3 rings of steel thing. Not needed, but I see it as a good idea.