• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrels and bullets for 6X45 Bolt Gun

MyDogsHunt

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
OK,,, my minds made up.
Gonna build a Rem Classic in 6X45.
This will mostly be for Rock Chucks out to 300, with a few Meat Deer thrown in each year.
I like Sierra bullets, especially the 85gr SGK for the casual Deer hunting I do but I'm wide open to suggestions.
Just want to figure out which one before I have the chamber cut if ya know what I mean.
FWIW, not really interested in any of the heavies due to magazine constraints, and the fact that this gun really isn't intended for loooong distances.

Next question is about McGowan Barrels.
I like the fact that they sell pre blued CM barrels at a decent price, but I did see a negative post about em in the plethora of threads my search turned up.
Good?? Bad?? If you own one I'd sure like to hear what you have to say.

Oh yea,,, Dies?
I have a KM mandrel I plan to use for initial sizing, then just neck size. No more than I'll shoot this rifle and as cheap as 223 brass is, I doubt that I'll ever bother with getting a FL die but ya never know.
So will the KM do the trick, and do you anneal after the initial sizing?

Sorry for the novel.
Any thoughts are welcome. Well, almost any. ;>)
Thanks, Charlie

Re: Barrels and bullets for 6X45 Bolt Gun

Here's a quick pic of the 6x45 I just finished up.

DSC_0639-2.jpg

I plan on running the 85 SGKs like you note as the primary "big game" bullet out of it. I have a bunch of 75 VMAXs to range/varmint work.

Personally, with all the negatives I've read about McGowan barrels I would stay away. It's not a ton more for a top-tier barrel.

If you are going to anneal, do so before sizing. I bought a bunch of Lake City brass for mine, so I just neck sized and went on my merry way reloading.

Haven't gotten it to the range yet - the weather has sucked.

Yea,,, I saw that one in my searches. She's a beauty.

Good bullet selection too. Sounds about perfect for my needs.
Can you touch the lands with both bullets without having to seat either to far or to little in the neck.
I have some 85 GK's on hand. Any chance you have a comparator, and could measure base to ogive on one of those 75 V-Max's for me to compare?

So you're just expanding the case with the expander stem that comes with the neck die?
That's certainly easier than my plan.

The more I read about McGowan the more I think you're right.
I was mainly interested because I want to build a Rem Classic clone and they sell pre blued barrels. But,,, just about any smith worth his "Salts" has a tank or access to one, so I dang sure won't sacrifice quality for convenience.

Thanks, Charlie

With my custom chamber gauge, I measure to 75 vmaxs at .497" to ogive and 85 sgks at .546".

To expand, I am just running the cases through the die. The expanded ball does all the work.

Fwiw, I have modified the magazine box on mine just like I have done to a number of 223ai rifles to allow for a longer coal. Basically aim just removing the factory mag box spacer and replacing it with a piece of 1/4" aluminum. This allows me to run a coal of over 2.5". However, the reamer I used is I think just a standard reamer four use in ARs, so the coal with the two bullets I mentioned would work even in an unmodified box. I like having the added room, just in case I want to run some 95 gr bullets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With my custom chamber gauge, I measure to 75 vmaxs at .497" to ogive and 85 sgks at .546". </div></div>

Perfect!
That's about fifty thou difference by my calculations.
Should be able to make that up without shoving the GK in the case so far I loose case capacity, or hanging the V-Max out there so far it wobbles.

Thanks for the on topic and very helpfull replys guys.

One more quick question.
What are my chances of being able to use up some of the ten pounds of Benchmark I have on hand on this little guy.

Thanks again.
Charlie