• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrels - What do you use and why?

Mastiff54

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
United States
I have used numerous barrels in the rifles I have built over the years, and now know that I really don't know as much as I thought I did or would like to. I know this question seems basic, but my experience has not followed a lot of what I expected and wonder if you have experienced the same.

Whose barrels do you use, for what and why?

Are there manufacturers that are better for target vs tactical vs hunting?

Are there manufacturers that excell at certain calibers?

What steel grades do you use?

What metal conditioning has worked for you? (such as Cryogenic, normalized, etc)

What is your experience with the different options for rifling (cut, button, polygonal, hammer forged, etc.)

My hope is not to trash anybody but learn the strengths and weaknesses for the options we have out there based on your actual experience.

What is the best you have found and why? Please avoid opinions and share facts with us.
Thanks

Re: Barrels - What do you use and why?

If I could go back and add them I would, but the polls won't let me. These are names new to me, verifying how little I know and the reason I did this.
Thanks for the additions all who read this will now know.

Also Polygonal is the shape of the bore/grooves. It has nothing to do with it being cut rilfed or button, hammer forged etc...

Polygonal, 5R, 5C, ratchet, Henry style rifling (most of you probably haven't heard of that one and the list can go on etc.....the groove styles should have a different catagory.......

If you are going to this extent than you should also be adding the number and type of grooves. 2 groove, 3, 4, 5, 5R, 6.

Left hand twist, right hand twist, gain twist type barrels.......

How deep do you want to make this poll and for what reasons etc.....

A lot of information has been left out I feel? Maybe I'm wrong?

Not picking on the thread but there is more to consider.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Polls are popularity tests for those that don't know. The less information, the better off the ignorant are. Look how some leaders get voted in. Just a test of the adevertising (kol-aid).
We hope it has good influence.

Sure a poll is a popularity contest but I think here it might also be based on experience. I have had good luck with a particular brand on several builds so I guess its popular with me for a reason.

I will add that I have used the Ultra Bore coat on almost all of my barrels now and love the stuff. No accuracy changes but the copper fouling is non existent and any cleaning (somewhat rare anymore) takes a couple of patches and thats it. I have a Remington factory tube in .308 with over 200 rounds of Barnes TSX down the barrel and there is no copper showing at the muzzle and a patch of copper solvent still does not show any blue.

I know this is going to cause a stir but here goes...

Is there really one barrel maker that is better than any other? Probably not. Every one of them make barrels that are of excellent quality. If you look at the benchrest sites there is not one maker that everyone is using. You will see several top maker listed. Sure there a some that probably make more barrels that shoot better but is it the shooter, the load, the conditions.. Everyone has there own opinion of which rifling method is best. Cut, button, hammer forged.. But again I dont think any one is any better than another. What it all comes down to is finding that sweet load that shoots like hell go with it..

What about lawton barrels or pac-nor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowtie4x4295</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no Rock Creek barrels, Mike Rock has a good following.

Mike </div></div>

Another thing. There is a stress relief we do that's not on your list. The other types have not been proven to work but ours has.

I am with sp here there is little difference between barrels maker expect the care that they want to put into every single barrel. I have seen lots and lots of great barrels made by other makers. Lapping is a big part on how the barrels shoot. If lapped properly most any barrel no matter how its made will shoot well. Its the shooter and loader that makes a bigger difference most of the time and you will always once in a while get a bad barrel no matter how well it was made it wont shoot. On the other hand you will get one that will shoot anything. Most barrels will shoot well but its luck of the draw to get that "hummer" barrel.

I would say that if your looking for a barrel stay with a top name and give them a call. They can answer all your questions and set you up with whats best for you. I may be wrong but i am not aware of any top barrel makers using the Hammer forged method. I personally would stick with button or cut riflings. Krieger would be a good place to start! Lee

Let me try and answer some of the questions or points made.
My objective was to learn about barrels based on experience and not opinions. I chose a poll because it is easier to analyze data, not to create a popularity contest which is why multiple selections could be made for each topic. Norcal Phoenix understood my attempt which, was to learn from the members of this forum's extensive experience.

Some foolish assumption were made such as every custom barrel maker laps their barrels, or considering Ultra Bore a ceramic coating, which may have been mistakes on my part (but I agree Ultra Bore worked every time a customer has tried it.

From this post I have learned of some barrel makers that were not really familiar to me before. I also agree that the type of rifling should be a separate poll as noted by Frank, and other stress relieving methods should have been included. The crown is another very important characteristic, which I considered a given, maybe that is another poll in itself.

I (as are most of us I would assume) am always looking for barrels and in fact just bought another Krieger for the LR-308 on my shop bench right now. I have also had excellent results with Shilen, Lilja and Wilson button rifled barrels. Now I have even more options thanks to you.

Also left out were the OEMs, which I probably should not have. I have seen many factory DPMS, Remington, Sako, Howa and others (including an occasional Ruger) repeatedly produce excellent groups using the production barrels, many of which were hammer forged. Done properly with high quality tooling, hammer forging can produce a very precise component which is why the Germans use it extensively, but it appears best for pistol barrels which are shorter.

I also agree that the quality of barrels today is exceptional and the cartridge, sights and shooter have the primary influence on accuracy most of the time.

One thing I have learned over the years is that the barrel harmonics are key to consistent accuracy and many of characteristics I am learning about will affect the harmonics such as:
*the surface finish of the bore,
*Cf between the bullet used and the bore,
*consistency of rifling groove and land diameters,
*residual stress of the barrel,
*uniformity of the barrel wall thickness,
*chamber quality and design
**and, most important, the resulting pressure curve that a particular load has in the barrel it is used in.

That pressure curve is the hammer strike on the tuning fork that sets the resonance for the barrel on each shot, which each bullet must consistently exit on the same portion of the harmonic wave every time to be a precise shooter (tight groups.

The reason for this post and poll was to learn as much as possible about one of the key components in our favorite hobby. I truly appreciate the constructive feedback and knowledge you are sharing. If the group feels this poll is so incomplete it will be misleading, I will stop it and try to build a better one. Frank was very accurate in his comment, and I now realize there are many other key items that should be included.
If you find value in this effort let me know what else I am missing and I will reconstruct the poll or let it continue as is since the data is being added through each of your posts.
Thanks all
Vince

I don't see this post being positive! I don't see it being fair to some of the makers. Before you start polling why don't you make yourself more familiar w/ some of the makers that actually exist! Just stirring up s&^% in my opinion.

really the choices you make when ordering a barrel such as twist and contour will mean more than the choice of barrel maker once you meet the price point that eliminates the crap. the gunsmith and reamer have just as much to do with the outcome as barrel maker.

i shoot several mentioned in this thread and use what i can get in the twist and contour i need. i have a slight bias to Lawton and Lilja because they are somewhat local to me, but also have Hart, Krieger, Broughton, and Brux. all are top shelf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sp260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there really one barrel maker that is better than any other? </div></div>

YES. There are many good one out there, but there also names out there that I wouldn't use under any circumstance. Every company turns out a bad one now and then, while others constantly produce shit.

FYI- There are only 4 barrels I would use, and 3 of 'em didn't make the poll list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see this post being positive! I don't see it being fair to some of the makers. Before you start polling why don't you make yourself more familiar w/ some of the makers that actually exist! Just stirring up s&^% in my opinion.</div></div>

Turk, wouldn't you say that becoming more familiar with other barrel makers is EXACTLY what I am trying to do.

Include the names of the good ones in your post, as others have done, and all of us can become more familiar with them.

I agree that some barrels out there thats not worth using. Isnt that the ones that consistantly turn out shit? All the bigger named makers ever so often do turn out a bad barrel. But even then is it bad or is it the load, shooter, etc.. I have to agree with 1sikpupi that it could also be the reamer or gunsmith error that makes the barrle look bad. I have a Lawton (that didnt make the list) that is a "hummer"! If I do my part averages 1/4 moa out to 800yd and probably farther if id shoot those distances more.

What im sayin is to pick one from a top maker and more times than not it will shoot. Just like optics.. You get what you pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mastiff54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see this post being positive! I don't see it being fair to some of the makers. Before you start polling why don't you make yourself more familiar w/ some of the makers that actually exist! Just stirring up s&^% in my opinion.</div></div>

Turk, wouldn't you say that becoming more familiar with other barrel makers is EXACTLY what I am trying to do.

Include the names of the good ones in your post, as others have done, and all of us can become more familiar with them. </div></div>
I think you have attempted to "pit" manufacturers against others to find the best barrel maker or methods of production! If you don't know who Mike Rock is or Boots Obermeyer, and have never heard of Bartlein barrels
you have no business asking what is the best. You aren't trying to familiarize yourself w/ squat! If you were you wouldn't have started this "popularity contest"! Internet polling for what???

There are many, many good barrel makers. The better manufacturers make more better barrels, if that makes sense to you.

For me, the more informative question is what barrel to use for what purpose.

I have a twenty year old (new) McLellan button-rifled that shoots as well as any of the high-tech modern cut-rifled stuff.

I have a cheap 1 in 7 Douglas that shoots .223's at 1000 like crazy - price: $150.

Bartlein is doing some crazy-good stuff with gain-twist; they have technology second to none.

I haven't seen a bad Schneider, and if setting up a short barrel .308 to use factory ammo at long range I'd probably go with a fast twist 5P.

Chrome moly is fine. Stainless is more resistant to rust. I like chrome moly for durability. But I shoot stainless because I prefer the way the throat wears on a stainless barrel.

In sum: It depends.