• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barret MRAD Package, should I buy it?

TXcoach

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
So this isn’t my 1st post but it might as well be considering how much posting I’ve done (next to nothing). I’m definitely asking for your opinions but can we get it out now, I understand that the MRAD doesn’t get a lot of love on the forum and there will be a bunch of folks saying “BUY AN AI” fellas I’ve never held or shot an AI but will readily admit that I would love to have an AI and am saving up for one.

I’ve been reading the forum for a couple of years but have never really had anything to say that I thought added to the conversation and want to thank the forum members for their posts and recommendations. Being from South Texas, I doubt I would have ever found Milehigh shooting if it weren’t for y’all and they have been a go to for me in getting started in my head first jump into the Rabbit hole that is long range shooting.

I’ve been planning on building my own rifle for PRS based on a TL3 or maybe a Defiance Action or some other action, but haven’t gotten this project started yet. I do however have a friend who has a Barrett MRAD who wants to sell it and I’m thinking of buying it but am not sure if this is a good deal or not. This is what I could use y’alls help with.

My current long range rig is a Bergara HMR B-14 in 6.5 Creedmoor with a S&B PMII 5x25x56 with the H2CMR reticle in a Spuhr mount with a Surefire break and can. I’ve had a lot of fun learning about (and have a ton more to learn) long range shooting.

My friend’s rig is a grey MRAD 308 with a 17 inch barrel with an Atlas BT10 Bipod, Leupold MK5HD 5x25x56 with the Tremor 3 Reticle in a Spuhr mount, the Barrett MRAD Pelican Case with room for 10 magazines and a Savior drag/rifle bag and shooting mat. He is asking $7,500 for this setup. My question is do y’all think I could purchase this and if I don’t end up wanting to keep it would I be able to sell it and at least get out of it what I paid for it? I want to help him out but I don’t want to lose my shorts in the process as this wasn’t a gun I was looking to purchase before this came up.

Attachments

• 20201012_113652.jpg
    20201012_113652.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 598
  • 20201012_113733.jpg
    20201012_113733.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 276
Well considering a basic MRAD is like 6k, price out the scope and everything else and see if it’s worth it. Seems like it might be. But as far as resale, it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Reactions: TXcoach
Price seems a little high, TBH. If you parted out the kit, I figure you'd be able to net around $6750, tops. I've seen several used MRADs (standalone rifle, single barrel) go for the mid-$4k range. And as said above, 308 is not really competitive in PRS. If you specifically want a 308 MRAD, it sounds like a decent kit (albeit 10% overpriced) but it would be a poor caliber choice if you're planning on entering PRS competitions and desire to be competitive for the sake of competition itself. Plenty of people shoot PRS just to get better with the rifle they already have, and there's nothing wrong with that.

MRAD is an amazing rifle though. If I ever buy another bolt rig, it will be the MRAD.

I was planning on building a PRS rifle, using most likely a TL3 action and then was hoping to be able to switch between something like a 6mm or 6.5mm for PRS and a 300NM for ELD and hunting Nilgai. I was planning on using a Manners Stock or one of those Matrix chassis, a trigger tech diamond trigger, wasn't sure about where I'd get the barrels from (one of the big reasons I haven't moved forward with the build), For glass I was thinking I might use my S&B that I already have or maybe try the ZCO and then for the can maybe a Thunder beast, they seem to be top of the line. If I bought this MRAD I'd have to get a 6.5 barrel and then a 300NM to do what I planned. I've tried to look around and see if anyone is even shooting PRS with these and haven't noticed any. I know it's not because they are to heavy as I've seen some guys with guns that top 20+ pounds easy. So I'm not sure why there aren't any or many being ran.

If I were able to buy it and make my money back on it, then it would be a no brainer but I'm more than a little hesitant after reading y'alls responses. Thank you for your feed back.

I think he is high on it only because of the 17" .308 barrel. If this was a 6.5 Creedmoor or 300 Norma Mag it would be worth the money to me. I do like the Barrett products and shoot with some of the Barrett guys from time to time and it is really well made equipment. You do have a $6,000 rifle, a $2,200 scope + mount, and $300 bipod so $8,500+ total. If you are good with the 308 I would say go for it, caliber is my only issue.

He’s really high on the price, $6000-$6500 would be fair for that setup. Yeah a MRAD retails for that, but who pays retail, and it’s used. There was just one here in tungsten and 6.5 Creedmoor setup and a NF for under $6K and I believe it was unfired too.

A 17” 308 MRAD with a Mark 5 is going to be for sale a long damn time at $7500.

I got an MRAD in .300-WM a year ago, and loved it so much that I started accumulating barrel kits. I now have barrels in that original .300-WM, .308-Win, 6.5-CM, and .338 Lapua. I have lots of rifles. Most spend WAY more time alone in the safe than my MRAD ... which is so accurate and easy to shoot that I rarely go to the range without it. Probably going to watch for a .300-PRC barrel on sale, and get that next. Although I've made several 1-mile shots with the .300-WM barrel.

Bottom line ... buy it ... give it great glass ... and start saving your money for barrel kits. You will NEVER regret that decision.

You would be paying around retail for a used firearm discounting the optic. Personally I wouldn’t do it especially on such an obscure rifle that the general public has limited exposure to. The resale value is not as strong as lets say Knight’s Armament, AI, or GA Precision which are known quantities. And the 17” is not very desirable unless you you plan to change the barrel with a more traditional length when reselling (assuming you anticipate to resell it in the future).

If you are paying retail, might as well get the rifle and optics you want.

You would be paying around retail for a used firearm discounting the optic. Personally I wouldn’t do it especially on such an obscure rifle that the general public has limited exposure to. The resale value is not as strong as lets say Knight’s Armament, AI, or GA Precision which are known quantities. And the 17” is not very desirable unless you you plan to change the barrel with a more traditional length when reselling (assuming you anticipate to resell it in the future).

If you are paying retail, might as well get the rifle and optics you want.
Agree on negotiating the price and getting a different barrel. Disagree on "obscure" and "low resale". This is the Marine Corps' selected sniper rifle (M22), along with many other special-ops teams worldwide. Hard to think of that as "obscure" ... but that's IMHO, and I do respect yours.

I paid $5500 for my plain jane MRAD (338 Lapua) at a local ffl (brick and mortar) who ordered it for me. I didn't even have to negotiate on the price it was decent right out of the gate. That being said your price as others have stated is a bit high.

Agree on negotiating the price and getting a different barrel. Disagree on "obscure" and "low resale". This is the Marine Corps' selected sniper rifle (M22), along with many other special-ops teams worldwide. Hard to think of that as "obscure" ... but that's IMHO, and I do respect yours.

Gotcha. I understand your point of view. Just trying to highlight that it’s a niche item in terms of resale. The general rifle community tends to gravitates toward other companies and if he decides to sell, he will be competing against that kind of market. But then again it only takes one highly motivated buyer.

Got mine (opened but never fired) for $4,900 on Gunbroker with the 300-WM barrel ... it was a smokin' good deal a year ago.

I agree with the other comments about the price being a tad to high.I bought my 338 MRAD for $4000 with the Atlas Bipod and a monopod.Then I came across a Leupold Mark 8 3.5x25 with the H58 reticle (before they made the H59) 35mm Bader Ordnance 35mm scope rings for $2500.

I want to thank all of you for your input. I love 308 for hunting (I have a Christensen Arms MPR in 308 that I use for hunting) and it is a great all around round to shoot in my opinion, however it's not the best round for PRS or long range competitions. I ended up buying the rifle setup from my friend he made me an offer I thought was plenty fair and after finding out why he was selling I felt a little obligated to help if I could. I bought the entire setup for $6,200 and he included 400 rounds of M118LR. I figure if I love it then I can buy some other barrels and use it for PRS or whatever, if not I think I could sell it for $6,000 to $6,500 fairly quick....I hope.

I want to thank all of you for your input. I love 308 for hunting (I have a Christensen Arms MPR in 308 that I use for hunting) and it is a great all around round to shoot in my opinion, however it's not the best round for PRS or long range competitions. I ended up buying the rifle setup from my friend he made me an offer I thought was plenty fair and after finding out why he was selling I felt a little obligated to help if I could. I bought the entire setup for $6,200 and he included 400 rounds of M118LR. I figure if I love it then I can buy some other barrels and use it for PRS or whatever, if not I think I could sell it for $6,000 to $6,500 fairly quick....I hope.
Ok. That’s a pretty good deal.

I think that's a good deal too.

Out of curiosity, what's the twist rate of that 17" barrel? Asking as barrel length and velocity aren't the only variables that matter in shooting .308 at longer distances.

I guess you didn't get the memo that you need an AI to fit in in South TX...

In all seriousness, nice rifle!

That seems like a fair price and you got to help a friend out at the same time. Win, Win, we never get tired of wining. I'm guessing we don't see this rifle come up for sale. Personally I would love to have one.

I think that's a good deal too.

Out of curiosity, what's the twist rate of that 17" barrel? Asking as barrel length and velocity aren't the only variables that matter in shooting .308 at longer distances.

1/10.

Reactions: Leftie
So got a chance to take the MRAD out and shoot it, it's a tack driver using both federal gold medal match 175 grain and M118LR (They shoot pretty much identical). I put 40 rounds through it, sighted it in at 100 and then took it out to 800. I was shooting paper at 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 and considering my lack of shooting ability compared to some of the folks on here, I'm pretty happy with the results. I had a ragged hole for 3 shots at 100 and it opened up to a little less than 3 inches at 500. I couldn't tell you what the groups looked like beyond 500 as the steel had been shot prior to me so I'm not sure. I did hit 7 out of 9 shots at 800 so I was pretty jacked about that lol. The MK5HD is some dang good glass, I would say I like the view through my S&B PMii better as far as what my eyes go but that MK5 is on point. I think I'm going to sell it, it's a great weapon but not exactly what I was wanting. I really want to build my own PRS rifle (I know that is probably dumb). If you guys have any ideas on the best place to post it for sale I would appreciate your input.