• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barret rec7 6.8SPC who else has one? lets discuss

inalabama

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
birmingham, al
i just picked up one of these, very nice rifle, i am still in the process of getting/setting up my eotech and other aftermarket accessories. i am wondering who else has one out there, what your plans are for aftermarket upgrades, what you are doing for factory ammo [hornady? SSA? tactical or commercial loads?] what you are doing for your own reloads and what recommendations you have as far as the best brass [i've heard its SSA], bullets, whether large or small primer pockets is giving you the best results [seems both are available in this caliber], etc.. hope to hear from other rec7 owners.

Re: barret rec7 6.8SPC who else has one? lets discuss

SSA for brass. Small primer pocket is more consistent and regarded as better. You are better off loading your own. If not buy SSA ammo in bulk, direct from Art at SSA.

Skip the aftermarket parts. You don't need any accessories. I suspect you would be better served spending the money on ammo and actually shooting it.

I've now shot most all the factory offering of ammo, and SSA is the best shooting in my rifle, the most cost effective, and leaves you with the best brass for reloading. If you want to reload with performance, look into C-Products or better yet PRI mags, as they will let you seat the bullet out longer and get more case capacity when reloading. If you buy bulk brass, you can't beat SSA small primer brass.

I'm using mine primarily for hunting, so I'm running a low powered telescope on mine instead of a red dot. The cartridge is accurate enough to take advantage of some magnification. Neat cartridge.....seems like I don't shoot my 5.56 anymore. Maybe for training or high volume practice. Otherwise, I enjoy shooting the 6.8 much more. It certainly takes down steel with authority.

has anyone tried to dremel to inside of the barret mag to allow a longer round?