• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett 416

titus7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Ridgecrest, California
Hey Guys, I've been looking into a Barrett M82 in .416 (fkn California Laws), but I have not found anyone who sales the ammo or that has it in stock. Can anyone give me help on this, does Barrett even make the ammo anymore? And are there any commercial ammo maker working on producing and selling it?

Re: Barrett 416

A phone call to barrett would be in order. I know Randy at Thunder Ammo makes some projos and so does Dave Fricke at Lehigh Bullets. I believe CH4D makes the dies required to turn .50 brass into 416 brass. If you're on a search for an already loaded round and Barrett doesn't have them I'd call randy at Thunder Ammo to see what he can offer you.

Good luck!

Here is the thread I answered a week or so ago.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...767#Post2301767
Basically Barret has the brass.
CH4D is a great company that can supply dies for forming from a .50 or just reloading the .416
However I must ask why are you looking at the .416?
All the rifles that shoot it are a rebarrel of the .50BMG, you could go with the .50DTC as I did and have a HUGE supply of bullets, powder, brass, and reloading supplies that are proven performers. The DTC is just as accurate at the BMG maybe a little more due to larger capacity. The .416 as of this moment still has not lived up to the hype. At least not like the .50DTC, .408CT, or the .375CT

I think it's because they make a .416 chambered M82/107. I too would rather have it be DTC chambered over .416...but you know
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it's because they make a .416 chambered M82/107. I too would rather have it be DTC chambered over .416...but you know
wink.gif
</div></div>

DING DING DING...we have a winner!! If Barrett would make the 82 in .510 I would go that route instead, but since they dont I cant. This is just one of the things Im looking at right now, so who knows what I will actually do.

The hype:

Its due to more of a bullet problem than a case problem, I know people that are printing 10" groups at 3000yards with this round with correct bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The hype:

Its due to more of a bullet problem than a case problem, I know people that are printing 10" groups at 3000yards with this round with correct bullets.</div></div>
I would require a little proof on that one.

Dale Poling was the shooter. He told me he did it and that's good enough for me. I got a good idea of who's bullets he used but not 100% sure give him a call he'll probably give you Doppler data for the bullets.

That's actually a rather exciting prospect. On paper the cartridge looks great but over the last couple of years I have seen them under perform.

Make them what ever weight you want, but as they are now a 420 grain bullet can be pushed at 3200fps. Some are using faster twist rates than the barrett uses.

Reason I say C.K is that EDM has a .416 barrel out now and I would love to get one but with the lackluster performance that has been displayed I just figured that it has not yet found its "sweet spot" with the right bullet and powder combo.

Call Barrett. I believe a whole bunch of ammo is available or coming.

Its not a lack of powder problem, the powders we have are good and eff for this round its the bullet design

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its not a lack of powder problem, the powders we have are good and eff for this round its the bullet design</div></div>
So who has a new or effective bullet design? Is it a new design or just something that just happened to work? Any more info you care to share?
smile.gif

ive got some little rippers in the fire right now... they are stable from normal twist rates to all distances ive tested them upto 2050yds so far, and have incredibly high real world BCs... im just trying a few things to tweak the accuracy as best as possible. Not far off now... 338, 375, 416, 510 calibers all happening. I should be able to release some proper details (including videos etc) on these by the end of the month - i guarantee you will not have seen anything like this before...

Ive read a few things concerning the .50BMG case and its derivatives, seems accuracy is very tricky to find and tune loads for? Ive also read that a major reason for this could be due to the primers and/or primer pockets, flash holes etc? Anyone else have theory on this?

It's all about the brass. lol. Ounce you get a match grade bmg IMHO.