• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett 82A1 Accuracy Expectations or Suggestions?

SMH

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2007
Midwest, USA
Can someone help me out with a couple of questions?

What is a realistic accuracy expectation from a Barrett 82A1?
Are there any tricks to getting good groups from them that would differ from any other rifle?

I am currently test driving one that a friend loaned me.
It was fired with some match ammo of questionable quality and allegedly grouped in the 8 MOA range at 100 yards.

Instead of sending it back, the owner asked me to try it with some match loads that were printing 9 inch groups at a 1000 yards from his Barrett bolt gun. (750 Amax)

My initial attempts were dismal. 4 shots (single loaded)at 150 yards made 2 pairs about 6 inches apart (the pairs were about 1 inch and contained #1&4 and #2&3)

The bipod is a heavy custom job with smooth skids. There was no way to preload it on the frozen ground. I suspect switching to sand bags might help.

Any suggestions or experiences to share before I try it again?

It currently has an 8-32 NF on it-I could swap that with one of mine in case that makes a difference. I just hate to burn up his ammo sighting in!

Re: Barrett 82A1 Accuracy Expectations or Suggestions?

Sounds like it's not the ammo, but the gun. You should have it checked out by a good gunsmith. Scope mount/rail might be a good place to start...groups like that are hard to produce with a gun like that!

1.5 to 2 moa
There is a kit out that replaces some bushings or something like that. Saw the kit and such on Biggerhammer. You will have to search for it but it is there. I am not personally experienced with this weapon but supposed to be a lot of fun. I will see if I can find the site or thread. Might have been on FCSA forum.

your scope is not the problem

Mine shoots 2 MOA with LC cases, 218 grains of 860 and new Winchester ball boolits.

CP

During my military career I had the opportunity to fire 2 different M107's. The first one that our unit had was a 1/2MOA rifle. We had to give that one up to BN HQ and got another one which was closer to the more common 2 MOA that most folks report. Luck of the draw on the first one I think.

Re: Barrett 82A1 Accuracy Expectations or Suggesti

Barrett Rifles have gotten better than they use to be.

Our section recieved 3 brand new M107s before we deployed to AF. All 3 guns were 1-2 MOA guns. Each gun was easily capable of hitting the standard E-TYPE target @ 1000m.

In 2005, I saw M107s that were hit or miss. We had one that shot 1 MOA and we had another that was 4-5 MOA @ 100m.

I think the LC M33 Ball Ammo is the worst quality to shoot. This could be my opinion. We were recently shooting rounds from 1945 that grouped extremely well all the way out to 1000m.

Basically, have that gun looked at by a professional and/or send it back to Barrett.

Second that!

One thing you can do, or talk to your smith about, is to get a dry erase marker and mark the bold face, tips of the lugs and extractor, oh, and where the bold handle contacts the receiver. What happens is simple, small differences in tolerances can cause the bold to flex unevenly, torque, and throw groups way off. I have see this with Mauser's with just the extractor making contact. The other big one is the barrel/receiver face! If this isn't square and true, the rifle is doomed, no matter what. Hope this helps.

-Anthony

Reactions: FriedAss

Thank you for the good comments and suggestions!

The owner wants to send it back to let Barrett figure out the issues with the accuracy and the trigger. (Do all 82s have an exceptionally heavy/creepy/long trigger pull? The only other Barret I've shot was the Bravo98 which had an acceptable but not awe-inspiring trigger)

I will have to wait a few weeks before I can play again.
There is a place nearby where I can shoot out to 1/2 + mile.
I will try to remember to dig up this thread to provide an update on accuracy and load data.

Barretts usually don't have a good trigger pull, just the nature of the beast. I believe Anzio Iron Works was/is making an excellent trigger for the 82's! I hope he is still making them, as they were about your only option, and quite nice! You should give them a call, they might be able to give you more insite on the subject, and I am sure they would love to help you with your rifle!

-Anthony

The M82 is far from a one hole gun, but the accuracy is not that bad. A few years ago, with the iron sights and some cheap shit Yugo ammo, I shot a 3-4" group with mine. The ammo was getting stuck in the chamber though, and the extractor was ripping through the case rims. Not sure if the ammo was too hot or what, but the case expansion was impeding the withdrawal of the case. Had to bang out a bunch of cases with a cleaning rod.

Myself and dksd39 were shooting a friends barret that he needed sighted in with a nightforce scope. All he had to shoot was ball ammo and knew it was'nt going to be anything near moa accurate. After spending the day getting beat up, best we could get with ball was about 6 inch groups at a 100. Did'nt attempt to go out farther without match ammo. He traded it for a Tac-50 and we are awaiting its arrival along with match ammo. Needless to say this gentleman has got some money!

It's a 3-4 MOA gun. And there's no use trying to group it at 100 yards. If you're getting 9 MOA you are muscling the rifle, influencing it too much, and that's also having an effect on accuracy. You can't shoot a .50 like you do a .308: relax, don't push the gun around or force a bad NPA; the bullet spends too much time in the barrel.

Actually, my experience has been that Barretts, properly used, are a 1.5-2 MOA rifle, and that if you're not shooting a .50 in the same way you shoot the .308, you're shooting the .308 incorrectly.

But a .50 will most certainly show you the imperfections in your form.

They are sensitive to the quality of the ammunition in use, but I've seem them shooting 2 MOA using M211 API.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, my experience has been that Barretts, properly used, are a 1.5-2 MOA rifle, and that if you're not shooting a .50 in the same way you shoot the .308, you're shooting the .308 incorrectly. </div></div>I crawl the stock a bit more on a light rifle, use firm cheek pressure and hard-hold it a bit. But I relax behind the .50 and shoot it closer to free-recoil.

In my limited experience, what i've seen is improper break in on the 107's resulting in terrible accuracy. i witnessed two brand new guns being fired like m60's with no cleaning in between and shot well over 200 rounds each. someone made the comment during the spectacle "talking SASR's" they were going back and forth with a constant volume of fire. by the end of the show, a scope fell off of one and the other just refused to eject.. great job marine corps.

You can't just clean them with Break Free, either.

From my experience, yes the M107s have a long, creepy, gritty trigger pull but the pull-weight wasn't too bad.

As for accuracy, we were only able to shoot them with API (Armor Piercing Incendiary) which was a pretty consistent 2 moa bullet, and with military ball which was anywhere between 5-7 moa.

With match ammo they are supposedly capable of 1 moa but we never had any to use.

I appreciate the good comments/suggestions and experiences!

and now the rest of the story....
The rifle had been fired less than 12 times and the barrel was cleaned before I fired it.
I grouped the 4 shots in two distinct pairs (~1moa at 150yds)

I thought I saw snow blow from the side of the action on the first shot but wasn't sure due to the muzzle brake induced snowstorm.
I know shots #1 and #4 grouped together. (bear with me this will become relevant soon)
Upon retrieving the brass (which showed no pressure signs and just shot a 9 inch group at 1000 yards in a Barrett bolt gun) I discovered 2 blown primers and obvious pressure signs.

The loads were within "book" limits. (but will be reduced for the next time!)
I didn't realize until a few days later that the extractor was missing. Yes, completely missing!

So...the two blown primer loads grouped together and the two non blown loads grouped together. Accuracy might be very good with match ammo and careful tweaking.

The loads seemed to require considerable force to engage and disengage the bolt. I checked to ensure that the bullets were not engaging the rifling-no problem there.

The rounds would completely seat and free fall out of the chamber effortlessly with the extractor missing.
I can understand some force being required to snap the extractor over the rim but shouldn't they have ejected somewhat easily if they fit the chamber easily?

Could the extractor have been defective or out of spec?

Would you expect the semi-auto to show serious pressure signs with "machine gun" safe load data that was fine in the bolt gun?

I plan to play with factory Barrett ammo and slightly downloaded match loads when the new extractor arrives. (Rifle hasn't gone back to the factory yet)

Re: the trigger
I didn't weigh it but I checked twice to ensure that the safety was off before it went boom.
I may be spoiled from 2-stage RRA, Anschutz and Sako TRG triggers but I expected much better from the Barrett.

Think 1 MOT (Minute of Tank) not 1 MOA accurate in most cases. They do a great job for what they are intended.

That said, they are not a highly consitant ELR platform. I too like to pull the trigger fast on one once in a while for the fun of it. Everyone does, but when you get tired of that and want to start working on accuracy and actually hitting what you are aiming at, they tend to disappoint.

If you are looking for mission specific 1000yd accuracy (hence the forum you are in) I would go with a well made bolt gun.

Buy an AR to rapid fire - it's a lot cheaper.

Regards,

Mountain Rogue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate the good comments/suggestions and experiences!

and now the rest of the story....
The rifle had been fired less than 12 times and the barrel was cleaned before I fired it.
I grouped the 4 shots in two distinct pairs (~1moa at 150yds)

I thought I saw snow blow from the side of the action on the first shot but wasn't sure due to the muzzle brake induced snowstorm.
I know shots #1 and #4 grouped together. (bear with me this will become relevant soon)
Upon retrieving the brass (which showed no pressure signs and just shot a 9 inch group at 1000 yards in a Barrett bolt gun) I discovered 2 blown primers and obvious pressure signs.

The loads were within "book" limits. (but will be reduced for the next time!) <span style="color: #CC0000">There are no book limits when it comes to BMG every chamber is different </span>
I didn't realize until a few days later that the extractor was missing. Yes, completely missing!

So...the two blown primer loads grouped together and the two non blown loads grouped together. Accuracy might be very good with match ammo and careful tweaking.

The loads seemed to require considerable force to engage and disengage the bolt. I checked to ensure that the bullets were not engaging the rifling-no problem there.

The rounds would completely seat and free fall out of the chamber effortlessly with the extractor missing.
I can understand some force being required to snap the extractor over the rim but shouldn't they have ejected somewhat easily if they fit the chamber easily? <span style="color: #990000"> Not if it was highpressure</span>

Could the extractor have been defective or out of spec?

Would you expect the semi-auto to show serious pressure signs with "machine gun" safe load data that was fine in the bolt gun? <span style="color: #990000">Machine gun chambers are huge compared to what your chamber, they head space them on the longside to ensure they run which = less presure. </span>

I plan to play with factory Barrett ammo and slightly downloaded match loads when the new extractor arrives. (Rifle hasn't gone back to the factory yet)

Re: the trigger
I didn't weigh it but I checked twice to ensure that the safety was off before it went boom.
I may be spoiled from 2-stage RRA, Anschutz and Sako TRG triggers but I expected much better from the Barrett.
</div></div> <span style="color: #FF0000"> </span>

Update-
I replaced the extractor. (VERY easy to do)
Hand pressure will now easily snap the extractor over the rim (before I had to let the bolt slam home)and live round extraction no longer requires heavy exertion.

I am convinced that there was something amiss with the original extractor! I still need to check for lug engagement to see if it is adversely affecting accuracy.

Accuracy is on par with what many of you have reported.
Groups seem to run 1.75 - 3.5 with a couple of different match loads.

A very, very fun rifle but I think I need to stick with Barretts bolt gun for good groups.