• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett 98B barrel replacement

Diesel65

Connoisseur of fine rifles and liquor
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2017
Republic of Texas
I have a low S/N 98B, and am looking to either change the barrel to a shorter version, or have it cut down from the original 27" barrel. Want to run my SICO Hybrid on it, but the threads are about 1/2" back from the muzzle, which wont allow me to attach the brake/adapter. Im not a 'smith, so any help appreciated. Barrett never answers emails, so I am not sure who makes the barrels in order to get a shorter replacement, and how to remove it.

Muzzle break is a 3/4” -20 threads per inch. I believe off the top of my head Industry standard is 3/4” -24 threads per inch. Just another propiatary thing Barrett does I don’t like.

I had an early model 98b that had zero cant in the rail and 3/4x20 threads as you mention. I actually had a custom brake made for it that I ended up not using. I also have the tool to remove the barrel because I pulled it to have a local smith modify a fat bastard brake. As far as rebarreling, it's an odd profile, has a barrel extension that can be removed and a set of threads for the castle nut that attaches it to the forearm. Josh at Patriot Valley arms was the only person that was willing to take the time to discuss doing the work from many of the emails I sent out. I ended up selling the rifle and going a different direction. If you want pics of the barrel removed and of the tool send me a message with your email address and I will try to find them. I would also be willing to sell the tool if you confirm it will work because I believe there are two models of it.

I appreciate your response. [email protected]

I had an early model 98b that had zero cant in the rail and 3/4x20 threads as you mention. I actually had a custom brake made for it that I ended up not using. I also have the tool to remove the barrel because I pulled it to have a local smith modify a fat bastard brake. As far as rebarreling, it's an odd profile, has a barrel extension that can be removed and a set of threads for the castle nut that attaches it to the forearm. Josh at Patriot Valley arms was the only person that was willing to take the time to discuss doing the work from many of the emails I sent out. I ended up selling the rifle and going a different direction. If you want pics of the barrel removed and of the tool send me a message with your email address and I will try to find them. I would also be willing to sell the tool if you confirm it will work because I believe there are two models of it.

I will get some pics sent out later today. I wasn't impressed with them when I tried getting the tool to remove the barrel. Eurooptic came through for me on that part along with a bore guide. We are lucky to have some good vendors on here.

I will get some pics sent out later today. I wasn't impressed with them when I tried getting the tool to remove the barrel. Eurooptic came through for me on that part along with a bore guide. We are lucky to have some good vendors on here.

I really appreciate it Bradu. This has been a thorn in my side for awhile now.

Since there are a few interested I figured I might as well post them here. The barrel is inserted from the rear of the gun after the bolt is removed. The tool slide down the barrel into the from of the forearm for the castle nut which I think gets torqued at 30 ft lbs. I can't say for sure since it's been a while back.

Since there are a few interested I figured I might as well post them here. The barrel is inserted from the rear of the gun after the bolt is removed. The tool slide down the barrel into the from of the forearm for the castle nut which I think gets torqued at 30 ft lbs. I can't say for sure since it's been a while back.

Clearly it would be easier to pull the barrel, and have it cut down wouldn't it? How much are you asking for the tool?

I'll take $35 shipped. I believe it was around 65 new.

I'm not sure what threads you plan on running but I can say it would be a lot cheaper to see about threading it vs having it rebarrelled.

Jeremy emailed me and said he would cut down and rethread the barrel, so thank you very much for the information. Tell me how to get you the money for the tool and I will send it to you. Thanks again. D

I want to do the same. Please let me know where Jeremy is or how to contact him to work on my 98B also.

I would also like to buy a tool as well if anyone else has one they would sell.

Eurooptic is the place where I bought mine at. Very helpful and also they got it out pretty quick.

Ive since moved on from my Barrett, but here's some photos of the barrel and stripped upper. I couldn't buy the removal tool here in Australia so I machined one up myself.
20190605_095827.jpg

20190605_095756.jpg

Reactions: 96C
I have a low S/N 98B, and am looking to either change the barrel to a shorter version, or have it cut down from the original 27" barrel. Want to run my SICO Hybrid on it, but the threads are about 1/2" back from the muzzle, which wont allow me to attach the brake/adapter. Im not a 'smith, so any help appreciated. Barrett never answers emails, so I am not sure who makes the barrels in order to get a shorter replacement, and how to remove it.
I have a 20” barrel on my low serial number 98B with less than 200 rounds through it. If you have interest I would trade for the 27”.

Sorry. I’m a rookie. Was just trying to help you out so you didn’t cut down a barrel unnecessarily. Barrett sometimes has barrels. Try to get in touch with Chase in sales at Barrett.

Sorry. I’m a rookie. Was just trying to help you out so you didn’t cut down a barrel unnecessarily. Barrett sometimes has barrels. Try to get in touch with Chase in sales at Barrett.
it's also a 4 year old thread...