• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett 98B

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
has anyone had a chance to put the new Barrett 98B through is paces yet. Can it stand with a AI/TRG/Sugron? Personaly I have had a chance to handle it (not shoot) and im not sure.

Re: Barrett 98B

Looks impressive. According to the most recent review, it shoots about .75 MOA with match ammo. I suppose that's plenty accurate. I don't think they are due to be released at any time soon.

From what I read the rifle is very accurate and well built. I like the looks of it as well, another black rifle. I think it could do better than .75MOA with handloads.

I am going out tomorrow to test fire it and see how she shoots.

I like the feel and balance of it!!

We will see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going out tomorrow to test fire it and see how she shoots.

I like the feel and balance of it!!

We will see.

</div></div>

Ohh thats not right !

Got the chance to go out and play with the Barrett 98B today!!

Nice cold day with a nice strong head wind from 16-22 on average with some fish tailing at the target area.

The first time i got to hold this rifle about 3 weeks ago really impressed me, and i couldnt wait to get the chance to shoot it.

From the very first touch i really liked the rifle. Being it weighs in at roughly 13 pounds and has a very nice balance to it and being a .338 in such a light package i was really interested to see how it shot.

The rifle shot really well and was very easy to shoot and get comfortable on it. The brake was really good and really tamed this rifle and made it recoil straight back to me.

The rifle has a very crisp, clean, and light trigger. I really like the bolt angle which aloud for a quick easy and rapid use of the bolt.

This rifle is very well thought out and the nice compact design coming in wighing so much really is a homerun for guys needed a rifle like this. It sure as hell beats carring a 30 pound Barrett .50. Which needs a team to employ it. The 98B will easily be carried and employed by one shooter.

The test gun came topped with a leupold and i would have preferred to shoot something else on it but oh well.

We shot test groups with this rifle at 1000 yards with BH 250 gr. Lapua 250 gr. BTHP and Lapua 250 gr Lock base, Accuracy wise the best i was able to get this rifle to shoot today was just at 1.5 MOA with the Lapua loads. The BH load came in at 2 MOA and above.

I know this rifle is capable of better accuracy and we will repeat the accuracy test again in the near future when we can limit some of the wind and test the guns real potential.

I have only 2 complaints with the rifle.

1. I wish the plastic ball handle from the bolt was much larger. Either a KMW or Badger Style would be nice and also that it would be either a 1 piece unit or be secured with Loc Tite. The ball actually fell off in my hand as i was working the bolt.

2. The 10 round magazines for this rifle gave me a fit. When loaded with 10 rounds i could fire 2 rounds then the next 3-4 rounds wouldnt chamber from the magzine due to them nose diving into the magazine. It would take some work then the round would go then do the same thing on next round. Then the magazine would work pretty well with only 5 rounds in it. But i also had the same issues with only 5 rounds in it. Not sure if a stronger spring or a modification to the follower would fix it so that it wouldn't allow this nose dive in the magazine. Also it seems the the top plastic lips of the magazine is what is causing the nose dive issue as well. It almost looks like if i filled the middle down some it would help prevent this issue.

All and all i liked the rifle and if the accuracy can improve some and the magazine issue is solved this would make a nice rifle in anyones collection.

98B.jpg

98B1.jpg

98B2.jpg

98B5.jpg

98B7.jpg

98B10.jpg

98B11.jpg

98B16.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if this rifle is 30 some pounds and the M82A1 is 30 some pounds why is this one easier to carry...does it pack as small as the SASR?</div></div>

+1
I saw a drag bag that all of the Barrett rifles fit in. Any model Barrett fits in the same case.

It weighs 13 pounds!! typo!! The rifle is very small and slender.

ahhh...I see...makes more sense now. 13lbs? is it for girls? I have .308's that weigh more than that. That mag looks cheepo. Maybe they should call the folks at Magpul to hook them up...or use some of the mags out there that already work. The mag release looks nicely thought out

I picked up the magazine that Barrett put out, it stated the 100 meter accuracy for a 250 lapua and the 250 Hornady 250 BTHP was around .8 MOA. I dont know, but I thought was a bit high for a Rifle that has a 5 grand price tag.

Thanks Nomad for the info on the test run. It somewhat confirms my initial impression on the rifle. It looks nice and all and it's a Barrett. But I am just glad that I have my AIAWSM.

The guy that has the gun and setup the test shot it the other day at 100 yards and got sub MOA out of it.

The Barett .50 cal were 3 MOA guns.

I really think we will see this gun after we do some intermediate shooting and some long range again come in at 1 MOA to 1.5 MOA very easy.

Thanks for the informative review Nomad. Any plans to brew up some handloads to get better accuracy?

Doesn't feed well, isn't that accurate not sure what is "nice" about this $5k rifle???? Hopefully it is just growing pains and will get sub-MOA at 1000 and feed every time. Time will tell. Nice review BTW.

Pat

There are some handloads being worked up by Stanton with some solid turned bullets. The ones he tested at 100 were to slow needs to pump the velocity up some and we will test them next go around.

As i said before the magazine needs some serious help. The handle thing isnt that critical if they loc tite it i just prefer more meat then the small ball on it now offered and could easily be changed out.

We will see what comes of the accuracy and what round this thing likes.

Expensive yes, nice gun yes, if i was to choose between a custom build and this the custom built Surgeon XL would be my choice.

So it's safe to say it's a 1 moa gun in excellent conditions ? I think for a .338 with an effective range of what, 1500m ? That's unacceptable. I don't know how the wind affects the .338 compared to others at 1000 but I think it should be capable of consistent sub moa groups.

Wow .....lets see
1)New rifle that no one had any trigger time behind.
2)Two types of factory ammo that may or may not be the best choice for said rifle.
3)Shooting from a bipod prone.
4)A 20 mph head wind.

And they did'nt get half moa groups Im sorry but wow.
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow .....lets see
1)New rifle that no one had any trigger time behind.
2)Two types of factory ammo that may or may not be the best choice for said rifle.
3)Shooting from a bipod prone.
4)A 20 mph head wind.

And they did'nt get half moa groups Im sorry but wow.
shocked.gif
</div></div>

WOW all you want.

Do you do all your shooting with a strapped down rifle in ransom rest in a wind tunnel?

As for trigger time you either have the fundimentals or you dont. I have tested plenty of rifles that i have never been behind and have never had any issues shooting them.

Take the info for what you want. Its better then no info at all, and it sure as hell brought alot more info out then you have provided in this thread.

Man you got me all wrong I'm saying it was'nt bad at all given all the variables.I can't believe all the people who expect half moa out of everything all the time.I guess my sarcasim did'nt come across right.

Got yeah, sorry the way you put it seemed like you meant what do you expect LOL.

It really was a easy gun to shoot minus the few complaints. We will see how it does and get a few other types of ammo thru it and get more feedback.

Been thinking about a .338lm repeater, thanks for the review! Will most likely go custom with th price point -v- performance.... Think George or someone could produce much better if I gave them $5K though... Does look sharp! Would be nice if the price was low enough to purchase one & send it to GAP for a work-over.......

I think you get a better bang for your buck going with a TRG and nice Glass. Figure a TRG with all the goodies and a NF, will be about 5G's

im waiting on one. should be less then 2 weeks now.
Also have a NF waiting on it. the BORS system that is NF compatible will be released in March as I was told at SHOT show.

Barrett products always bring a high dollar value and I'm sure they'll will correct anything users find unsatisfactory.

For a new product, that's not the worst that could go wrong. Some time in a shop could correct both issues.

Nice pics, great review...thanks Nomad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another Barrett product....useless for left sholder firing! Uggg</div></div>
I played with one at SHOT and I think you could adapt well. Yes I am a lefty.

kyshooter338
yours will / should be numbered under 00200
delivered numbers under that last week but
just over 00125

FWIW, there are a bunch of them on GB.com. The price is moderate I suppose.

I've fired it at 500 yards. 1800 yards, and 2000 yards and put 10 rounds inside a nickel. What a wonderful weapon.....little to no recoil, and very, very accurate. It took me about 15 rounds to sight it in and then WOW...every rounf inside a nickel at 2000 yards. This is one of the nest weapons produced!!!! My old spec ops buds are most envious and ready to purchase themselves.

$5k for a 1.5MOA rifle where the bolt handle falls off and the magazines don't work? Pass. You can have a TRG-42 and a Nightforce scope for less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubba!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've fired it at 500 yards. 1800 yards, and 2000 yards and put 10 rounds inside a nickel. What a wonderful weapon.....little to no recoil, and very, very accurate. It took me about 15 rounds to sight it in and then WOW...every rounf inside a nickel at 2000 yards. This is one of the nest weapons produced!!!! My old spec ops buds are most envious and ready to purchase themselves.
</div></div>

just some advice, stay off of the crack pipe please, 2000 yards into a nickel.
sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubba!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've fired it at 500 yards. 1800 yards, and 2000 yards and put 10 rounds inside a nickel. What a wonderful weapon.....little to no recoil, and very, very accurate. It took me about 15 rounds to sight it in and then WOW...every rounf inside a nickel at 2000 yards. This is one of the nest weapons produced!!!! My old spec ops buds are most envious and ready to purchase themselves.
</div></div>We need pictures for proof.

Does the M98B have any MOA built into the rail or is it 0moa?

If 0moa what are most using for the 1500 to 2000yrd ranges on say that Leupold? Will travel on Loopys allow?

</div></div>

Surely this is a joke! If Not... you have 1 post and this is it? We don't need A-holes like this on this site...GTFOOH

</div></div>

Troll.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubba!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've fired it at 500 yards. 1800 yards, and 2000 yards and put 10 rounds inside a nickel. What a wonderful weapon.....little to no recoil, and very, very accurate. It took me about 15 rounds to sight it in and then WOW...every rounf inside a nickel at 2000 yards. This is one of the nest weapons produced!!!! My old spec ops buds are most envious and ready to purchase themselves.
</div></div>

Troll. </div></div>

agreed with lonewolf

I don't know, at .338 diameter I'd expect each round to go inside a nickel.

Did someone think he meant all 10 rounds were all under the SAME nickel?

</div></div>

Sounds like when a guy told me he was shooting elk at 2 miles. I asked him how much he had been drinking and he swore it was the truth. Just like the Pacific Ocean in Arizona!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost_Rider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubba!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've fired it at 500 yards. 1800 yards, and 2000 yards and put 10 rounds inside a nickel. What a wonderful weapon.....little to no recoil, and very, very accurate. It took me about 15 rounds to sight it in and then WOW...every rounf inside a nickel at 2000 yards. This is one of the nest weapons produced!!!! My old spec ops buds are most envious and ready to purchase themselves.
</div></div>

Sounds like when a guy told me he was shooting elk at 2 miles. I asked him how much he had been drinking and he swore it was the truth. Just like the Pacific Ocean in Arizona!!! </div></div>

Whoaa,the Pacific Ocean isn't in Arizona???? WTF???

LMAO

Sure Tucsondave, if Bubba can get a 10 shot group the size of a nickel
at 2000yds the Pacific Ocean is in Arizona, I promise! LOL

I Own A 98B - I Also Own A CheyTac .408 - I Shoot 3 Days A Week - Rain - Heat - Cold - Wind - 3 Days A Week No Matter What - I Can Wring Out 1500 Yards With My .408 Fairly Easily - Mostly Due To The Fact That I Happen To Own A Couple Thousand Rounds Of Lost Hills Ammo - Anyone Who Says They Are Hitting At 2000 yards With A Barrett 98B .338 Lapua Is Either Lying Or Nuts - I Can Reach Out To 1200 Yards On A Perfect Day - And At That Range You Arent Getting Any Better Then 18" - Thats With 300 Grain Hand Loads - And A NightForce NXS 5.5-22X56 - At 1000 Yards I Can Drill Steel Targets All Day Long With It -Anywhere Inside Of 1000 Yards It Is Deadly Not Matter What The Weather - High Wind I Shoot 250 Grain Ammo - I Love 98B Because It Is Cheaper To Shoot Then A .408 - Not To Mention That You Can't Even Buy Lost Hills Ammo Any Longer

blackpatch
HSM(Hunting Shack) is now producing the ammo that Lost River Ballistics used to.

338LM is very effective to 2000 yards we have shot that distance many times, group size is usually around 1 - 2.5 feet in diameter though. We also did a 10 round accuracy test at 1600 yards, the first 8 rounds went into a 7.5" group (vertical spread) and the last two rounds opened the group up to 18" (vertical spread). Wind was changing from 5-10 mph during the firing sequence and we used the same hold for all shots without compensating for wind at all so the horizontal spread for the whole string was about 3 feet. Those tests were with our SRS rifle shooting factory Lapua ammo, I have not shot the 98Bravo so I cannot comment on the rifle, but the 338LM round if my favorite cartridge!

This thread hasn't been touched in a few months now, but I thought I would add my .02 ( for what it's worth ) on the Barret 98B.

1) If you wish to use the magazine, rule out any ideas of seating right off the lands. Not going to happen. Big gap between the lands and the magazine requirements. Not easy to feed single rounds.

2) With factory ammo, the .75+ groups were pretty much what I saw as well. Due to the price of factory .338, I reload my own. An added bonus to that is avg group size shrank to .45 but I'm
still playing with COL as of this writing. Those of you with better shooting skills than I may see better results.

3) Recoil is negligable. No worse than my .308 in my opinion. Ran 70+ rounds through it last trip to the range and my shoulder has zero complaints. Remember it has a muzzle brake on it so keep this in mind with scope selection. Some handle MB recoil well, some do not. I have a MK4 8.5-25x50 with Barret rings sitting on mine. No issues thus far.

4) The integrated rail is flat. Either buy rings with elev or get a scope with a lot of adjustment in it. ( or get closer )

5) A lot of plastic pieces for a $$$$ rifle in my opinion. Magazine and bolt shroud ( bolt rides inside the shroud ) I would prefer to be non plastic. A more durable mono-pod would be nice as well. The butt of the gun has a very soft rubber cushion to it. Too soft actually. Easily torn.

6) Easy to clean. Comes apart similar to an AR. Grip is AR style so you can probably put whatever AR grip you fancy on it.

7) Trigger pull is light from the factory ( 1.5 lbs I think ) and easily adjusted.

8) Folks sitting next to you at the range will hate you due to the muzzle blast. It doesn't blow gear off the tables like my .50 does, but it's still unexpected for many.