• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett 99 vs AR-50

Pulsar

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Hello

I am going to buy one of these guns
there both used and around the same price

but if you had a choice which would you buy and why?

Im leaning toward the Barrett right now
but the AR-50 is a monster of a gun

thanks

Re: Barrett 99 vs AR-50

BARRETT! No comparison!... Especially if you can get it for the same price! I've shot both. I've owned a Barrett. It's hard to put my finger on it exactly, but the Barrett is just more gun! If the AR-50 was $500 less I'd consider it.

Both are fine rifles. That said, don't limit yourself. I have a Viper XL and would stack it up against either of them. I have nothing but good things to say about mine. IMO, it has the quality of both but comes in significantly lower in price. It gets great reviews by the FCSA (which you can read at their site) Make sure and look at the video tests too. Very impressive.

Take a look: http://www.bluegrassarmory.com

From what I've seen in 1000 yard shoots the Barrett 99 can be very accurate. For the most part however the AR-50 has been more accurate. With that being said I would take my Barrett 99 over an AR-50 any day. There is something to be said about the fit and finish of the Barrett. The people at Barrett are also super helpful and I couldn't be more pleased with my Dark Earth 99.

One of the downsides of the Barrett is the pressed in barrel. If it ever needs to be rebarreled it has to go back to Barrett. This is not the case with the AR-50.

I have also shot the other rifle mentioned in the thread from Bluegrass. I honestly have not put enough rounds through it at a distance of more than 300 yards to compare it to the 1000 yard performance of the 99 and AR-50 but the fit and finish of the rifle is nice. I have a friend that has one that we are planning on making an out of state trip to a 1600 yard range with my 99, 107, and his Bluegrass rifle.

I'll try to report back when we have some 1000 and 1000+ yard comparisons. I'm by no means a sniper or expert marksman. Most of my firearms exposure was over the course of 8 years in the military and hunting.

The AR50 is as nice as the 99 I had as far as fit and finish.

The AR50 tends to outshoot the 99.

This is between the two rifles I have been behind.

hey thanks guys

Im going to go with the Barrett
smile.gif

We use the AR-50.We tired 3 different Barrett's 2-99's and 1-99-1 all bolt guns.None shot worth a damn. We then tried a AR-50.Recoil is MUCH less and accuracy is very good.

FWIW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leprechaun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We use the AR-50.We tired 3 different Barrett's 2-99's and 1-99-1 all bolt guns.None shot worth a damn. We then tried a AR-50.Recoil is MUCH less and accuracy is very good.

FWIW </div></div>

The recoil is definitely less with the AR-50. The accuracy is debateable. There are a lot more of them then 99's out there. I have seen both of them shoot as small as 1/2 MOA. I have seen several of each shoot inside 3/4 MOA.

I have been looking at both of these as well. There is something about the Barrett, once you hold it you don't want to put it down. There is a local gun store that has both. I am going back there to fondle the AR-50. Good luck

You guys really had the AR50 shoot better than the Barrett M99? That was not my experience at all... and as far as recoil, the AR50's muzzle break is supposed to be the best out there but I really didn't feel any appreciable difference between it and the latest Barrett Break. I do think the older Barrett breaks were lacking a bit. Like I said before, if the AR50 was cheaper by a considerable margin, I'd consider it. But all things being equal, I have to say Barrett wins... IMO

http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-Infa...ted-States.html

Barrett Model 99 0.50 bolt-action rifle (United States), Anti-materiel rifles

Description

....The Model 99 is probably the most accurate rifle produced by the Barrett firm. A Barrett Model 99 holds the world's accuracy record for a production 0.50 rifle. An improved muzzle brake has been fitted to later production models.It is available in .50 BMG and .416 Barrett calibres and with three barrel lengths.

smile.gif

I can only tell you my experience with the M99. With the newer brake, it's very nice to shoot. Make sure you get the flutted barrel. Very accurate with match ammo.

Most importantly, it's easy to transport and field accessible. The AR50 may be more accurate, but it's certainly is much more bulky. IMHO.

The AR 50 weighs more than the 99, maybe even ten pounds more. The difference in recoil is significant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tipy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AR 50 weighs more than the 99, maybe even ten pounds more. The difference in recoil is significant. </div></div>

I think significant is overstating the difference. The percussion from both breaks is significant. The recoil isn't. I've let teenage girls and a 12 year old nephew shoot both my Barrett 99 and my BA50. I am basing this off my 32" heavy barrel 99. I also have a 107 which seems to have more felt recoil.

But as an owner of 3 50's and a lot of trigger time behind the AR-50 and 99 I can honestly say some of you guys are biased.

The fit and finish IS better on the Barrett. That does not make the Armalite any lesser gun. It is as accurate if not more accurate at 1000 yards. The difference between the two is likely the shooter and not the quality of either rifle.

JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tipy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AR 50 weighs more than the 99, maybe even ten pounds more. The difference in recoil is significant. </div></div>

I think significant is overstating the difference. The percussion from both breaks is significant. The recoil isn't. I've let teenage girls and a 12 year old nephew shoot both my Barrett 99 and my BA50. I am basing this off my 32" heavy barrel 99. I also have a 107 which seems to have more felt recoil.

But as an owner of 3 50's and a lot of trigger time behind the AR-50 and 99 I can honestly say some of you guys are biased.

The fit and finish IS better on the Barrett. That does not make the Armalite any lesser gun. It is as accurate if not more accurate at 1000 yards. The difference between the two is likely the shooter and not the quality of either rifle.

JMHO </div></div>

Well said TDH. I like my M99 because of its "portability". I don't think the recoil was excessive since they put the 3 port brake on. I was able to smoke about 20 rounds down range reasonably quick without much recoil/concussion. It boils down to just operator's preference.