• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett Fieldcraft info/thoughts

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
So, after becoming aware of the Barrett Fieldcraft rifles awhile back in a discussion here on the Hide, I started looking into them and decided that I wanted one. As it happened, I had some other guns for which I had no real use, and traded them off for a Fieldcraft chambered in 7mm-08. Mine is the 18" threaded barrel model, and I picked it up last night. Here are my observations to this point (in no particular order):
  • The trigger (a Timney) was factory adjusted to a crisp 4 pound break. It was reinforced to me how much of a trigger snob I have become since I estimated it at 5-6 pounds prior to breaking out the Lyman trigger pull gauge.
  • Removing the rifle from the stock was easy enough, even if it took two different size allen bits, and adjusting the trigger to the same crisp break at ~1.75 pounds was as easy as fiddling with the lower of the two allen screws on the front of the trigger pack.
  • As is mentioned elsewhere, action screw torque is 80 in/lb for the front and 36 in/lb for the rear per the factory manual.
  • All of the published information that I can find on the Fieldcraft states that the twist rate for the 7mm-08 is 1-in-8, but my barrel is marked as having a 1-in-8.5 twist rate. This is far from a deal killer for me, since I intend to shoot projectiles in the 150-162 gr range, for which the 8.5 twist is more than adequate.
  • The action is not as smooth as I had hoped it would be, but maybe that will change with some break-in. Further, it's also possible that I've been spoiled by my Tikkas and Howas.
  • The bolt is a tiny little thing, being pretty damned close to the size of the bolt in a Howa mini action. The difference is that the Howa mini action is intended to work with cartridges that will fit into an AR15 magazine (.223 rem, 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, etc...) while (this model of) the Fieldcraft is intended to work with cartridges that will fit into an AR10 magazine (.243 win, .308 win., 7mm-08, etc...).
  • The (flared) barrel shoulder diameter is .748" per my calipers.
  • It's possible to load this rifle to 4+1 capacity, but it didn't seem particularly happy about it... depressing the four rounds in the (internal blind) magazine was easy enough, but it really didn't seem to like dragging the bolt over the rounds in the mag to chamber the 5th round.
  • The (5/8-24) muzzle threads are quite long; from the face of the muzzle to the (flared) shoulder on the barrel is ~.670" (approximating since I have already installed a muzzle device and I'm not going to remove it so that I can get an accurate measurement).
  • I was fortunate to be able to clock a TBAC CB mount with only .013" worth of shims to get the top face to ~11 o'clock when hand tight; a smear of high temp red loc-tite and maybe 8-10 ft/lb got it installed where I want it, and I suspect that it will stay there indefinitely.
  • The rings that Talley makes for these rifles are pretty nice; the one with the beveled base is the rear mount/ring (otherwise, the base would overhang the ejection port). Ring clamping torque per Talley is 17-20 in/lb.
  • I have no idea what the ring/base-to-action torque should be, but given that Barrett bored the screw holes to accept #8 screws, I feel pretty safe with a dab of blue loc-tite and 25 in/lb.
  • The best part: light rifle is light. In complete, ready-to-go-hunting trim including the complete rifle, TBAC CB mount, Talley low rings, a Bushnell 4.5-18 LRHSi scope and five rounds of Hornady 150 gr Precision Hunter ammo, the rifle weighed 7.3 pounds on my kitchen scale. I have not weighed it with the (Ultra 7) can on it, but it'll still be well under 10 pounds even then.
I have not gotten a chance to shoot it yet, but hope to get to the range towards the end of the week. I'll reply to this thread with any thoughts/results that I gather. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away... non-magazine/website reviewer info on these rifles seems to be kind of scarce, so I figure that putting some info out there might help the community as a whole.

• The best part: light rifle is light. In complete, ready-to-go-hunting trim including the complete rifle, TBAC CB mount, Talley low rings, a Bushnell 4.5-18 LRHSi scope and five rounds of Hornady 150 gr Precision Hunter ammo, the rifle weighed 7.3 pounds on my kitchen scale.

Reactions: sierracharlie338
Needs a lighter scope....

My Dad ended up with a 2-10 Leopold and his 6.5 Creed is 6.6 lbs with the 14oz can.

I carried his for a day. I will have one.

The action will wear in a bit. The two I've played with were right up there with Tika smooth.

I'm very happy with mine in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have an 18" threaded model that Barrett cerakoted the barrel and action black with the gray stock. They sighted in and tested it for me with $15 S&B soft point ammo at the factory. I have a hard time finding premium ammo that shoot significantly better than this. For a hunting rifle I'm not sure it needs to be much better.

I’ve seriously considered one in 6.5. Thanks for the review.

As other posters have stated, the action will wear in to be very smooth. I've got one in 6.5 creedmoor, and its more accurate than a rifle with a contour that light should be according to most. The 3.0" mag box is wasted on the creedmoor for the most part but should be absolutely perfect for your 7-08 and 162 Eldx. That should be enough to give the 08 a distinct advantage over the creedmoor. I wish mine was in 7-08 but decided on the 6.5 since there is a TBAC ultra 7 6.5 in my very near future. The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the internal box magazine; but thats more of personal taste thing.

Needs a lighter scope....

My Dad ended up with a 2-10 Leopold and his 6.5 Creed is 6.6 lbs with the 14oz can.

I carried his for a day. I will have one.

The action will wear in a bit. The two I've played with were right up there with Tika smooth.
I hear ya that the scope is kinda bumping the weight up, but for the reticle, zoom range, and other performance/features combined with the price, the LRHSi is really the best option (that I am aware of) for my uses. Regarding the action smoothing out, I'm glad to hear it, and look forward to it.

As other posters have stated, the action will wear in to be very smooth. I've got one in 6.5 creedmoor, and its more accurate than a rifle with a contour that light should be according to most. The 3.0" mag box is wasted on the creedmoor for the most part but should be absolutely perfect for your 7-08 and 162 Eldx. That should be enough to give the 08 a distinct advantage over the creedmoor. I wish mine was in 7-08 but decided on the 6.5 since there is a TBAC ultra 7 6.5 in my very near future. The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the internal box magazine; but thats more of personal taste thing.
Honestly, the 3" internal dimension of the box was one of the big reasons that I went with 7mm-08. Like you, I'm not super excited about the fact that it's a blind mag, but hundreds of thousands of folks have hundreds of thousands of R700 ADLs and if nothing else, it's been proven to work just fine. Personally I'd prefer a hinged floor plate, but wouldn't ya know it, Barrett forgot to ask for my opinion when they designed the darn thing... ;)

Reactions: Boltfluter
looking forward to your continued review as you get more time behind the fieldcraft.

I've been spending a lot of time recently mentally piecing together options for my first custom build, but I can't help but feel that no matter what I'd be spending more money on a setup, that if i'm honest, is more rifle than I need for the hunting I do. I haven't been able to find any real negative reviews on the fieldcraft and any issues reported seem to get quickly fixed by barrett.

I can use that weight and money savings on some better glass and add a suppressor.

Right now I'm leaning towards the same 18" 7mm-08. All in with scope and suppressor at or under 8lbs. I'd like to hear how you think the rifle balances with and without the suppressor.

If you're doing any handloading for it would be nice to see your work up and where you land.

hows the pinned handle feel. any wiggle? and does it have any preference in how its cycled?

I've got a little bit before I'll have the funds to put this together, but am also considering the long action version instead. I haven't used a suppressor and I'm very intrigued, but the fieldcraft in 30-06 also has my eye. Anybody out there shot one that can give feedback on how it handles?

I've also seen rumor from Outdoor Life that they are releasing a 280ai this year.

I wonder if they plan to do one in a .300 PRC with a decent length threaded barrel.
That would be very tempting.

hows the pinned handle feel. any wiggle? and does it have any preference in how its cycled?

I've also seen rumor from Outdoor Life that they are releasing a 280ai this year.

I don't notice any play in the bolt. The handle is dovetailed and then pinned to hold it in place which probably keeps it pretty snug and if i had to guess, plan to offer different kind of bolt handles in the future. That's not a great picture but you can see it. THat's just what I had on my phone at the time.

I spoke with one of the engineers and they are working on a 280AI. I don't know if it will be this year or not. I would imagine their plates are going to be full with this ASR deal.

Reactions: Tartan
looking forward to your continued review as you get more time behind the fieldcraft.

I've been spending a lot of time recently mentally piecing together options for my first custom build, but I can't help but feel that no matter what I'd be spending more money on a setup, that if i'm honest, is more rifle than I need for the hunting I do. I haven't been able to find any real negative reviews on the fieldcraft and any issues reported seem to get quickly fixed by barrett.

I can use that weight and money savings on some better glass and add a suppressor.

Right now I'm leaning towards the same 18" 7mm-08. All in with scope and suppressor at or under 8lbs. I'd like to hear how you think the rifle balances with and without the suppressor.

If you're doing any handloading for it would be nice to see your work up and where you land.

I've got a little bit before I'll have the funds to put this together, but am also considering the long action version instead. I haven't used a suppressor and I'm very intrigued, but the fieldcraft in 30-06 also has my eye. Anybody out there shot one that can give feedback on how it handles?

Well, my plan to get to the range towards the end of last week was derailed by life, but maybe I'll be able to break free this week. In any event, as user orientalexpress mentioned, there is no noticeable play in the bolt handle, as the dovetail design seems to handle that aspect of things... and the pin is merely there to keep the handle from sliding off the dovetail on the bolt body. It's an interesting design feature, but to be honest I don't understand why it has gotten as much attention as it has from Barrett/"professional" reviewers.

Anyhow, regarding the action, I have been playing with different lubricants on the bolt and lube points of the action, and found that it definitely prefers heavier/thicker lubes (grease rather than oil). This has made a noticeable difference in regard to the felt smoothness of the bolt stroke. I can still bind it if I push on the bolt handle at the wrong angle when it (the bolt) is fully retracted, but I cannot think of an action for which that is not true.

I absolutely will be handloading for this rifle, and have on hand 150 gr and 162 gr ELD-Xs and 168 gr ABLRs, so I'll have some different combinations to try. I've decided to go with small primer brass, but couldn't find any in 7mm-08, so I bought some Starline small primer .308 cases that I'll neck down and turn (if necessary).

I'll keep this thread updated as progress continues.

Anyhow, regarding the action, I have been playing with different lubricants on the bolt and lube points of the action, and found that it definitely prefers heavier/thicker lubes (grease rather than oil). This has made a noticeable difference in regard to the felt smoothness of the bolt stroke. I can still bind it if I push on the bolt handle at the wrong angle when it (the bolt) is fully retracted, but I cannot think of an action for which that is not true.

I would agree with you on the grease. I use a type of lithium grease. I have noticed that the floor models seem to be alot slicker than mine. which I attribute to 2 things. 1) It's new, and the floor models get worked significantly. 2) Mine is cerakoted black, which includes the bolt. So at times it can feel sluggish. You can see where the cerakote is starting to wear a big in certain areas and I suspect that it will smoothen out after a while.

Well, my plan to get to the range towards the end of last week was derailed by life, but maybe I'll be able to break free this week. In any event, as user orientalexpress mentioned, there is no noticeable play in the bolt handle, as the dovetail design seems to handle that aspect of things... and the pin is merely there to keep the handle from sliding off the dovetail on the bolt body. It's an interesting design feature, but to be honest I don't understand why it has gotten as much attention as it has from Barrett/"professional" reviewers.

I absolutely will be handloading for this rifle, and have on hand 150 gr and 162 gr ELD-Xs and 168 gr ABLRs, so I'll have some different combinations to try. I've decided to go with small primer brass, but couldn't find any in 7mm-08, so I bought some Starline small primer .308 cases that I'll neck down and turn (if necessary).

I'll keep this thread updated as progress continues.

I finally got to handle one this weekend and was really impressed. Only one the had was a 21” 6 creed. But overal fit and finish, action cycling, and the trigger were great. I’d hazard to guess the force to cock is more than the customs, but it felt much better than my rem700.

It balanced well, but I think I can safely say I’d prefer a little more weight forward. Either the 18” with suppressor, or the long action with a #2 barrel. there is another LGS near me that has several of them in stock so I might have to go check the other variations out.

Was also thinking of using SRP brass if I went 7mm-08. Glad your going to be the guinea pig.

I know there’s mixed thoughts on this, but I grew up using a hasty sling a lot on offhand hunting shots. I have been wondering if that would cause any problems with the fully bedded stock. Not a deal breaker for me, and likely not enough to matter at the ranges I would use that technique.

Finally made it to the range with the Fieldcraft today, but didn't get the results I was hoping for... five rounds formed more of a "pattern" than a "group". If I had to guess, I'd say probably 3 MOA or so. That said, there were a few factors for consideration:

• I only took one box (20 rounds) of one type of ammo (Hornady Precision Hunter - 150 gr ELD-X) with me
  • Given that this was the first outing, I had to actually get the thing sighted in
    • Spotting my initial POI was made more challenging by the dingus two bays over who kept shooting my target ("Hey, are you sure you're shooting the correct target? I've only fired five rounds, and I just counted 11 holes in my target.""Yep, I'm only shooting mine.""Then where did the other six holes come from?""...?""Must be magic.")
  • Rounds 11-15 and 16-20 went into two, ~3" groups at 100 yards (rifle was allowed to cool between groups)
  • Some of the accuracy (or lack thereof) may be due to poor recoil management on my part (no one would call 7mm-08 a thumper in terms of recoil, but it is a pretty light gun)
  • Interesting to note that across the entire 20 rounds, that ammo ran an average of just shy of 2650 FPS in my rifle at an ambient temp of 64 degrees
In any event, the plan for now is to clean it and start load development. I have three different projectiles to try (150 ELD-X, 162 ELD-X, and 168 ABLR) and a bunch of different powders. I'm also debating doing some action screw torque tuning, as I have read (on the Internet, so you know it's true) that some Fieldcraft owners have had some success with that approach.

I shot my new 6.5 CM 21" barrel for the first time last week before work. Best groups were 0.4 MOA (Hornady 140 ELDM) and 0.6 MOA (Federal Premium 140 accubond). I sighted in with the Federal ammo at 25 yards and then shot the 3-round "group" in the first photo. Shot a couple more 3-shot groups, then shot the yellow target group with the ELDM. It's only 3-shot groups, so not a great test. But using a fixed 6x scope, I am very happy.

Only thing I did for prep was clean and lube the rifle. Shot it hot without any rest between shots to cool the barrel. All up she is 6.85 pounds with an SWFA 6x42, full mag, and Talley low/light mounts. Love this little gun so far. Feels so strange in a padded case (Who put this toy gun in here?). :love:

20191205_150835.jpg
20191205_152107.jpg

My little island range. 100 yards unless I want to clear out some woods behind me.
Range.jpg

First shots after 25 yard zero. Federal 140 Accubond (not LR, standard Accubond)
20191209_145432.jpg

Hornady 140 ELD-M
0.6 MOA.jpg

Reactions: BurnOut
I shot my new 6.5 CM 21" barrel for the first time last week before work. Best groups were 0.4 MOA (Hornady 140 ELDM) and 0.6 MOA (Federal Premium 140 accubond). I sighted in with the Federal ammo at 25 yards and then shot the 3-round "group" in the first photo. Shot a couple more 3-shot groups, then shot the yellow target group with the ELDM. It's only 3-shot groups, so not a great test. But using a fixed 6x scope, I am very happy.

Only thing I did for prep was clean and lube the rifle. Shot it hot without any rest between shots to cool the barrel. All up she is 6.85 pounds with an SWFA 6x42, full mag, and Talley low/light mounts. Love this little gun so far. Feels so strange in a padded case (Who put this toy gun in here?). :love:

View attachment 7201520View attachment 7201521
My little island range. 100 yards unless I want to clear out some woods behind me.
View attachment 7201522

First shots after 25 yard zero. Federal 140 Accubond (not LR, standard Accubond)
View attachment 7201523

Hornady 140 ELD-M
View attachment 7201524
Damn, I wish I could get mine shooting like that! Maybe with some load development...

Damn, I wish I could get mine shooting like that! Maybe with some load development...

I wouldn't spend any time in load development before trying another scope. Also, maybe wear a nice padded vest so recoil is consistent? Have you torqued the action screws according to the manual? Front first, torqued all the way to 80 in-lb. Then tighten and torque rear to 36. Even let someone else shoot it to see how it does for them. If this doesn't get you to at least 1 MOA, I'd be sending it in for a look-see.

Reactions: JeffLebowski

My 6.5 is shooting sub MOA with S&B $12 ammo. That’s not to brag but to say these rifles are accurate even with the cheapest ammo. I would take @Mike Islander advice and check everything else. Start with reliable scope, torque specs, and maybe try shooting with free recoil. Light weight rifles are tough to shoot consistent. They are plenty accurate for hunting rifles, should be able to hold MOA out 500yards no problem

I picked up one of these the other day at the sto and man, what a sweet action these have on them. Anyone making stocks or chassis for these yet?

I picked up one of these the other day at the sto and man, what a sweet action these have on them. Anyone making stocks or chassis for these yet?

Ask and you shall receive.

Here is a post from Rokslide.com where a guy had one made from some walnut his grandfather harvested. Awesome stock and only added a few oz to the gun. The guys that did the work are listed in the thread, but FYI their name is Accurate Innovations.

www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/experience-with-barrett-fieldcraft.121904/page-2

Their website is https://www.aigunstocks.com/. No, that is not airgun stocks, which is what my brain read when I first saw the website name (added an R that isn't there). It is Accurate Innovations Gunstocks.

Reactions: chickon1
I read over on 24hourcampfire that Barrett is suspending production of the Fieldcraft line for an unknown amount of time to focus on the ASR contract. There seem to be plenty on GB for now though.

This is true. I'm very glad to have my 6.5 (21" non-threaded version), but I really hope they resume production. It seemed to be very popular, so I would have thought they would add enough people to keep rolling them out. Hopefully they haven't found it more trouble to deal with than Mil contracts.

I’ve got a 18” threaded Fieldcraft .243 that shoots really well. Thinking of rebarreling it to 7mm08 though....

I considered rechambering/rebarreling my 243 Fieldcraft. Shoots so well I didn't want to mess with a good thing.