• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett M82a1 Optic

Mauser48

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 17, 2018
I'm planning for my future barrett and am looking at optics. Is this link the correct military model? I see it's on sale for a decent price so I'm thinking of picking it up to stash it away. I want to go for the classic military look so I'm looking at this. Another part of me can't help but think, am I better off just picking up a used bushnell dmr ii? It would be about the same money and it is a much more usable optic. What other optics did the military use on the barrett? Nightforce and S&B I believe I've seen?

Reactions: Snark0
I'm planning for my future barrett and am looking at optics. Is this link the correct military model? I see it's on sale for a decent price so I'm thinking of picking it up to stash it away. I want to go for the classic military look so I'm looking at this. Another part of me can't help but think, am I better off just picking up a used bushnell dmr ii? It would be about the same money and it is a much more usable optic. What other optics did the military use on the barrett? Nightforce and S&B I believe I've seen?

Not gonna swear to it, but I believe SF uses Nightforce, while big Army puts Leupold on theirs.

S&B for me!

IMG_8516.jpeg

Reactions: Charmingmander
If you ditch the military look requirement, I’d say Zeiss S3 6-36 if you’re price conscious. Believe I just saw one used here for $1900. Also think you’ll end up with a better optic for this kind of money.
S&B 6-36 if price is no object.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charmingmander
Just out of curiosity- what reticles are you using for your M82a1 scope? I had mine topped forever with a TMR and am now looking to possibly switch out to something new. I'm pretty sure *checks news, hmm* I won't need it in an AM role, so there's that. But I was possibly thinking about something like the T3 that allows quicker adjustments at longer ranges. What say the Light Fifty carriers?

Adding @TheHorta, how do you like the Spuhr Mount? Is that the 1.5? How many MOA? I'm using the SASR rings now, but I'll have to change them if I go with a 35mm tube.

Last edited:
The Leupold Mark4 4.5-14x50 optic in the OP is a phenomenal scope, especially at the current price, and it is exactly what I ran for eight years on my 82 A1 before I sold it. Definitely can hold up to the recoil of the 50 and is plenty of magnification for what you will be shooting at with that thing.

I have actually had several of that very scope, and my brother is still running one on his 260. I reluctantly sold my last one just cause it was sitting there in the safe and I probably should’ve kept it.