• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett model 99 50bmg

Mooncake

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 29, 2018
Central Mountains, CO
Thinking about buying one to shoot from 1K to 2mi but I've never handled one. I'm attracted to the relative portability but the fact that every bull pup trigger I've felt has been a train wreck gives me pause. Any current or former owners can weigh in on the trigger and the kind of accuracy I might expect? Much obliged.

Yes the trigger sucks. If I may make a suggestion. I’d look at the armalite ar50a. I’ve had access to one for awhile now and have been impressed with it. Also it comes with a decent shilen trigger but takes a standard 700 trigger I believe. It’s also cheaper than the barret. The armalite seems just as accurate as the barret if not a touch more accurate with the 750 hornadys.

Reactions: Mooncake
Maybe trigger is in the eye of the beholder ?? but I thought it was great ... could hardly tell it was there ... I had the stock trigger on mine ...

It2B3wM.jpg

My trigger process for rifles with pistol grips ...

place ball of thumb on rear of pistol grip, directly behind trigger.

place first digit of finger of trigger with a bend which has the rest of the finger slightly forward of the first digit, which is touching the trigger.

tips of other fingers can touch the pistol grip or hang in space.

squeeze from both opposing ends, the ball of the thumb and the first digit of the trigger finger which should be exactly aligned and opposing, until the trigger breaks.

==
Just make sure you have a solid position, there is a bit of recoil ! :)

I used the 750gr match ammo from .50bbmgsupply. In case it mattered, when ordering ammo from them, I always specified it was for M-99.

Reactions: Mooncake
I have had a bit of exp with both. I liked the Ar-50 a bit better. It was heavier, but it felt 'tighter" hard to explain. I probably put about 30 rounds through each. The Barret was not as accurate as the Ar-50, with which i was shooting half inch groups at 100 yards, not bad for a half inch bullet. It may just be a comfort thing, You aint gonna be " hauling" around either as the AR-50 WEIGHS in around 48 pounds with a scope , and bipod. I passed on the purchase of a Ar-50 and as Bobn did, buy its little brother the Ar-30 in 300 Win with which i have used extensively . And it only weighs 15 pounds and is just as accurate or better as the 50 cal at ranges under about 700 yards. I couldt be happier with it unless ammo was free. OH wear your damn earplugs!!! Holy hell that thing is loud.

Last edited:
New member here. Tons of info on this site!!

Although I don’t know about the Barrett, I have an AR 50 and Serbu BFG 50. AR trigger and Serbu trigger both break clean. The AR averages about 5.5-6lbs. Serbu is 10.5-11.5 lbs. Just some info for you when looking into single shot 50’s

I have had a bit of exp with both. I liked the Ar-50 a bit better. It was heavier, but it felt 'tighter" hard to explain. I probably put about 30 rounds through each. The Barret was not as accurate as the Ar-50, with which i was shooting half inch groups at 100 yards, not bad for a half inch bullet. It may just be a comfort thing, You aint gonna be " hauling" around either as the AR-50 WEIGHS in around 48 pounds with a scope , and bipod. I passed on the purchase of a Ar-50 and as Bobn did, buy its little brother the Ar-30 in 300 Win with which i have used extensively . And it only weighs 15 pounds and is just as accurate or better as the 50 cal at ranges under about 700 yards. I couldt be happier with it unless ammo was free. OH wear your damn earplugs!!! Holy hell that thing is loud!!

I agree on the ar-30. I had one in 338 lapua some years back and wish I’d kept it. It was built Like a tank, just like the ar-50. It had a Shilen trigger from the factory as well. I had a local Smith lighten it up some and it worked out great. Like a moron I blew out my drivers side door mirror with the muzzle
Blast shooting at a coyote. The armalite muzzle breaks are very efficient. But as well and as far as the 300 wm and 338lm will shoot there is nothing like tripping the trigger on a 50.

May I suggest that you take a look at the Desert Tech HTI? Triggers are adjustable to a crisp 2# and caliber changes take less than a minute. Available in 375 and 408 cheytac, 416 Barrett and 50 BMG. They also come with an accuracy guarantee.

A friend of mine just purchased the M99 and the their "match" trigger measures a crunchy 5.5#. He sent the trigger group back because he was not happy with it. They charged him $100 and it measured an even crunchier 6.25# when it came back.

...Is the grip on the 99 a standard AR grip? Can it be replaced with something more vertical? ...

Went to Barrett website, downloaded manual, took screen shot uploaded screenshot. Answer is Yes.

47246524661_43ebc4228e_b.jpg

Those trigger reports are less than heartening. Maybe I’ll call Barrett and rap with them. The DT is intriguing but at least a couple grand more. I’ll look harder at the AR50.

I’m still in the prelim stages. For now I’ll keep throwing 338LM at my steel.

The DT is intriguing but at least a couple grand more.

I would check with Eurooptic. They were blowing a couple HTI's out a week or so ago for $3800. They sold one of them then increased the price on the remaining one $1000. I would check and see if they would honor the original sale price. I bet they would!

Edit..... Looks like they raised the price $2000 on the remaining one. Sorry, I mis-spoke.

Last edited:
I have a Barrett M95. When I shot it grouped fairly well with the AMax 750's. It's loud. and your teeth will rattle. I have since bought an AI/AW388 , suppressed with a tbac which is a pleasure. I had an 82, noticeably less accurate but easier to shoot. Not having suppressor for a .50 means I'll likely only take it to the range for smiles. Try before you buy.

Hi,

If you intend to shoot the 2 mile distance more than the 1k distance you will need to look at different options.
Specifically the cartridge.....The BMG just is not optimum for that.

Sincerely,
Theis

i owned a ar50 for three years. had a hard time finding a range where it was welcomed. sold it and purchased a ar30(baby brother in 300 mag) bobn....
ps i suggest you find a range that allows it's use first.

I already have a 338LM with a can in jail and my range is on BLM that only I can access so no worries there. I’m aware of cartridges slightly better suited to ELR but the ability to disable a vehicle brings me comfort.

Thanks for the replies, gents!

Reactions: Mr. Z
I had a Model 99 and every now and then the trigger would jam up. I would just play around with the trigger and work the bolt and it would free up. The percussion from the muzzle break was hard on scopes also.