• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett MRAD Barrels?

lencomatt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
COS, CO
I know that Barrett finally got the 308 MRAD out but can anybody make a barrel in another caliber? I don't really see Barrett doing something like a 6 creedmoor.

same bolt face, should not be to difficult. gonna follow this and see where it goes.

looking to get change barrel system in august.

I made friends with a couple guys at Barrett when I was doing their Armorer's courses. They've got a few other calibers in the works for the MRADs. I don't know of any company making aftermarket barrels for them though.

I think aftermarket is going to be difficult. Pull your barrel and look at it. They have a barrel blank threaded with a barrel extension that has the locking lugs sleeved over it.

I'm sure a smith could do it but you would need a group buy to offset the R&D costs across several buyers

I don't have an MRAD, I'm thinking my next rifle is a switch barrel of some sort, I like the AXMC's but last I saw they had no price or eta on the conversion bolt heads and mags. I was kind of leaning toward the Barrett or DTA because of that. I liked the feel of the Barrett in the gun shop but 308 and 338 aren't the only calibers I want to shoot. I haven't really felt a DTA but they might be the way to go.

The barrel extension is the key to the switch cal rifles. Mark Gordon at SAC got DTA's blessing to make barrels for the DTA but he uses DTA barrel extension. If another company out there can get Barrett's blessing to use their barrel extensions then it's possible.

I'm going to be ordering an MRAD from Eurooptic in a month or so and am super excited. I've always wanted one. I also have a DTA SRS gen 2 and it's an incredible rifle.

Now if we can just get him to get permission and extensions from BARRETT we will be in business!

Edited to add that the BARRETT platform would be great for this kind of thing since you can separate the upper receiver from the lower, ship the receiver and bolt, and NOT have to deal with retarded shipping restrictions on firearms.

Last edited:
I thought Mark made his own DTA barrel extension that fits both generations? I could be wrong though.

If you are looking for a rifle system look at the DTA or the AI you cant go wrong. They both have the barrels available now. I have the AI-PSR and have gone to matches were people are shooting the DTA very well. I have only been to two different match sites but I still have not seen any Barrett's. I am able to shoot .338 LM, 300WM, 308 WIN and 6.5CM. I am also looking at getting a 300 Norma mag barrel.

If you are looking for a rifle system look at the DTA or the AI you cant go wrong. They both have the barrels available now. I have the AI-PSR and have gone to matches were people are shooting the DTA very well. I have only been to two different match sites but I still have not seen any Barrett's. I am able to shoot .338 LM, 300WM, 308 WIN and 6.5CM. I am also looking at getting a 300 Norma mag barrel.

I'll trade you my DTA for your PSR at the next match lol

You know I wouldn't mind that trade for the day. I like to shoot other things make you a better shot. Due to work it Oct before I can come to the next Vegas match.

Contemplated the Idea a long time. I have had the chance to run the M RAD in 300 quite a bit and kept waiting to see where it was going. In the end i just took in my possession, a new AI and i have zero doubts on the decision. the fact that there are dozens of smiths that can spin up me a barrel and send it in the mail, i can install and be shooting a new cal in less than 3 min is a deal maker for me! I actually had a barrel before the rifle came.

They still haven't learned from DTA and AI in the multi caliber world. Just stubborn I guess. Barrett makes many great rifles though.

Who built your 6.5CM barrel for the PSR? Wasn't aware anyone was making custom barrels for them; I'm happy to hear it.

I got the barrel from Mile High Shooting at the same time a got the PSR. I not sure who made it but the 6.5CR looks just the same as the other 3 barrels.

I am drooling thinking of a 260 rem in my MRAD. Would a 338 Snipe Tec be too big to fit the MRAD chassis?

[MENTION=74337]emsp[/MENTION]: Insider info tells me that Barrett has .260rem and 6.5CM barrel conversion kits for their MRADs already in stock. However, they are not up on the website. I just ordered a 6.5.

Yes... I did just bump a 4 year old thread... lol

Looking to get an MRAD. Was checking to see if there had been any movement on barrels in the aftermarket.. with out having to read that 70 page thread lol.

If not.. then where is the best place to buy the factory kits ?

Short Action Customs can do barrels I believe but need your old barrel for the extension.

It’s doable. Unscrewing the barrel from the extension is a pita (at least it was for me) due to the amount of thread locker they used, then a good smith can fit a new barrel and a new caliber to a barrel ext. / bolt head couple.