• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett MRAD Questions

ehaleyjr86

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Centerburg, Ohio
I am considering purchasing a Barrett MRAD for a few reasons:
  • Ability to easily change between calibers
  • Current barrel options from various manufactures (Barrett, Proof Research, etc)
  • Ability to have both short and long action configurations in one platform
  • Decreasing the total number of rifles in the safe
I have a few questions for current owners:
  1. When you remove and re-install a barrel do you need to re-zero each time?
  2. When swapping between different calibers ie:6.5CM to 300PRC what kind of zero shift do you experience and can you simply document it and make the adjustment to your scope without needing to re-zero?
  3. If you were in the market again for a weapon system that works with multiple calibers, would you go with the Barrett?
Thank you for taking the time to review my post and answer my questions
-Everett

Reactions: Luka
  2. When swapping between different calibers ie:6.5CM to 300PRC what kind of zero shift do you experience and can you simply document it and make the adjustment to your scope without needing to re-zero?
  3. If you were in the market again for a weapon system that works with multiple calibers, would you go with the Barrett?
1. Not for me ... mine holds zero very well, but I use different scopes for each barrel so it's an investment in glass.
2. See above ... if you don't switch scopes and dedicate a scope to a barrel, you will definitely need to re-zero.
3. I LOVE my MRAD ... it's the very last rifle I'd vote off my island.

1. Not for me ... mine holds zero very well, but I use different scopes for each barrel so it's an investment in glass.
2. See above ... if you don't switch scopes and dedicate a scope to a barrel, you will definitely need to re-zero.
3. I LOVE my MRAD ... it's the very last rifle I'd vote off my island.
This is helpful!

Do you use a particular mount for your scopes?

This is helpful!

Do you use a particular mount for your scopes?
I use the QD Recon scope mounts from American Defense Manufacturing ... exclusively ... on every scope I own. I've found them to re-install and retain zero to a half MOA or less. I have seven (7) Leupold Mark-5 HD's that have their mounts that come on and off every time they go into the safe (or when I change MRAD barrels).

Reactions: ehaleyjr86
I use the QD Recon scope mounts from American Defense Manufacturing ... exclusively ... on every scope I own. I've found them to re-install and retain zero to a half MOA or less. I have seven (7) Leupold Mark-5 HD's that have their mounts that come on and off every time they go into the safe (or when I change MRAD barrels).
Thank you! I’ll check them out.

The MRAD isn’t a bad system, it just suffers from lack of support by Barrett. Aftermarket support does seem to be creeping forward slowly. I’m not sure if the military contracts are helping or hurting availability - probably hurting access to the rifle but helping bring the product to light publicly and increasing the aftermarket support.

To answer your questions about repeatability, yes they are repeatable but you will still need to verify and adjust your zero slightly. You can document your shifts between calibers but again verification will be required. That’s not a dig as it is the same for other systems. But you will be very close, say .1 or .2 mils.

That sounds crazy to me. I went a different route and threw a Tangent Theta on mine so it would make rezero easier. I thought I broke the bank going my route…. Are the scopes all identical?

The MRAD isn’t a bad system, it just suffers from lack of support by Barrett.

What would you guys like to see supported more by Barret? its this just the problem of (lots of) out of stock parts, or are you guys looking for stuff that they don't yet make or sell yet.

That sounds crazy to me. I went a different route and threw a Tangent Theta on mine so it would make rezero easier. I thought I broke the bank going my route…. Are the scopes all identical?
Not identical ... they vary from the 4.5-18 (6.5CM's), to 5-25 (300WM 300PRC), to 7-35 (300NM and 338LM).

Reactions: Luka
What would you guys like to see supported more by Barret? its this just the problem of (lots of) out of stock parts, or are you guys looking for stuff that they don't yet make or sell yet.
I was able to get the folder multi-barrel system and lots of nice accessories before the clamp-down and shortage cause by big government orders being filled ahead of private needs. The big problem you'll have is getting the rifle and barrels you want, in this constrained market. The accessories are easy to get (mags, bag-rider, etc.). No way I could reproduce what I have for any reasonable amount of money or any decent timeframe ... in the current low availability / high demand market.

The Barrett caliber change kits come with barrel (built on their proprietary extension), bolt head, and magazine so it’s not as easy as changing the barrel and being ready for the new caliber. AI is definitely easier in this regard and the fact the parts are more available.

My MRAD 338LM is the most accurate 338 I have. I’m still trying to get my hands on a 6.5 CM kit so I can actually shoot it more economically. News flash - 338LM isn’t the best for bulk shooting and practice shooting , too hard on the pocketbook LOL.

The Barrett caliber change kits come with barrel (built on their proprietary extension), bolt head, and magazine so it’s not as easy as changing the barrel and being ready for the new caliber. AI is definitely easier in this regard and the fact the parts are more available.

My MRAD 338LM is the most accurate 338 I have. I’m still trying to get my hands on a 6.5 CM kit so I can actually shoot it more economically. News flash - 338LM isn’t the best for bulk shooting and practice shooting , too hard on the pocketbook LOL.
Are you saying the AI uses the same bolt and magazine for 338-LM and 6.5-CM ... and the "only" thing you change is the barrel? I find that very hard to believe.

BTW ... I've got my MRAD barrel change down to a system ... I do it at the range and it takes me less than 5 minutes (2 screws and a bolt lever) ... nothing to it. The new bolt housing with the built-in lever was a huge improvement and took a difficult fingernail-busting process into a 30-second breeze to change the bolt head.

Are you saying the AI uses the same bolt and magazine for 338-LM and 6.5-CM ... and the "only" thing you change is the barrel? I find that very hard to believe.

BTW ... I've got my MRAD barrel change down to a system ... I do it at the range and it takes me less than 5 minutes (2 screws and a bolt lever) ... nothing to it. The new bolt housing with the built-in lever was a huge improvement and took a difficult fingernail-busting process into a 30-second breeze to change the bolt head.
AI AXMC / AXSR mags are different between those two cartridges as far as I know; bolt bodies are def different but the FP assemblies are the same (you just change the bodies which takes 15-20 seconds). I could change like 5-10 rifle barrels in a five minute span with an AXMC or AXSR.

Not knocking the MRAD, its a great platform but the AI quick lock system is the best quck-change barrel system on Earth (and probably anywhere else in the Universe)

AI AXMC / AXSR mags are different between those two cartridges as far as I know; bolt bodies are def different but the FP assemblies are the same (you just change the bodies which takes 15-20 seconds). I could change like 5-10 rifle barrels in a five minute span with an AXMC or AXSR.

Not knocking the MRAD, its a great platform but the AI quick lock system is the best quck-change barrel system on Earth (and probably anywhere else in the Universe)
So it's a barrel, bolt heat, and magazine for AI ... just like the MRAD ... got it.

And regarding which is "best" ... well ... thank you for sharing your opinion. LOL :ROFLMAO:

So it's a barrel, bolt heat, and magazine for AI ... just like the MRAD ... got it.

And regarding which is "best" ... well ... thank you for sharing your opinion. LOL :ROFLMAO:
I’m not sure what the fuck’s the matter with you but your reading comprehension sucks. “Bolt heat”? You don’t need to heat the bolt body up to change anything out on an AI. Maybe you’re hammered?

Anyway, it doesnt matter what you think.

The MRAD is a great platform as I’ve already stated and nowhere did I suggest one was overall better than the other but if you’re going try to argue barrel changes are faster on the MRAD (or any other MC system) than an AI w/Quicklock, well I’d love to have some of what you’re drinking (or smoking).

Then again, you’ve also decided to spend literally thousands of dollars on optics you don’t need so that you can avoid a few minutes of rezeroing after a barrel change and recording/confirming the shifts in your dope so I can’t say I am surprised.

Sounds like AI needs the same "basic parts" as the MRAD when changing calibers (caliber speciic barrel, bolt, magazine). The one diff is when replacing a burned out barrel.

With the MRAD, you need to keep either an existing bolt/barrel extension (pre-headspaced) or buy a new matched pair (makers kit). This isn't as much a cost problem as a logistics problem for the gunsmith, who's gonna upcharge a bit to faff around with all that, and there is some delay if Barrett is OOS of required parts. Do I have that right?

Are these platforms well supported in terms of spare parts and consumables once operational?

Sounds like AI needs the same "basic parts" as the MRAD when changing calibers (caliber speciic barrel, bolt, magazine). The one diff is when replacing a burned out barrel.

With the MRAD, you need to keep either an existing bolt/barrel extension (pre-headspaced) or buy a new matched pair (makers kit). This isn't as much a cost problem as a logistics problem for the gunsmith, who's gonna upcharge a bit to faff around with all that, and there is some delay if Barrett is OOS of required parts. Do I have that right?

Are these platforms well supported in terms of spare parts and consumables once operational?
Yep, largely the same items needed when switching from SA to LA/Mag or Supermag cartridges…AI has countless smiths making barrels for both AXSR/AXMC and legacy AXSA, plus Mile High Shooting Accessories has and/or can get parts as needed.

And you’re correct (as far as i know), you will need a bbl extension. Im not sure how readily available that stuff is but I figure they should be reasonably available given how many MRADs have been produced and sold. I just know AI’s market support as I used to own two (one AXMC and one AXSA).

I’m not sure what the fuck’s the matter with you but your reading comprehension sucks. “Bolt heat”? You don’t need to heat the bolt body up to change anything out on an AI. Maybe you’re hammered?

Anyway, it doesnt matter what you think.

The MRAD is a great platform as I’ve already stated and nowhere did I suggest one was overall better than the other but if you’re going try to argue barrel changes are faster on the MRAD (or any other MC system) than an AI w/Quicklock, well I’d love to have some of what you’re drinking (or smoking).

Then again, you’ve also decided to spend literally thousands of dollars on optics you don’t need so that you can avoid a few minutes of rezeroing after a barrel change and recording/confirming the shifts in your dope so I can’t say I am surprised.
Sorry ... just a type-o. I obviously meant "bolt head". I didn't mean to make you angry. I apologize. There's no doubt you are correct.

I was going to purchase either an MRAD or an AXMC. Ended up going with the AI because quite frankly after however many years of not being able to buy things right away, AI made more sense.

If there was more support for the Barrett I'd have bought one. It didn't make much sense to me to buy a rifle which features quick change barrels you can barely buy compared to AI.

When I made my decision it was between the DT, AI or Barrett. Lots of research and talking to members who’ve owned them and ended up with AI.

More barrel maker kits, also lower the price on those. $450 a pop stings. Sometimes they have them on sale around Christmas. It would be nice if someone would make a copy so at least dudes could get their own barrels spun up. The factory barrel at 12-1600 a pop is painful.

Now that Barrett sold out I wouldn't enter into owning one of their products.
This is an ill-informed comment. NIOA is working hard to expand production and bring back other barrett products. Barrett just had barrel maker kits for sale this weekend that sold out in less than a day. First time they've had them online in close to a year. My understanding is Proof bought all of their "A" kits for Lapua magnum sized cartridges that they had produced.

More barrel maker kits, also lower the price on those. $450 a pop stings. Sometimes they have them on sale around Christmas. It would be nice if someone would make a copy so at least dudes could get their own barrels spun up. The factory barrel at 12-1600 a pop is painful.
Does anyone know if you can recylce the barrel extensions and bolts when replacing burned out barrels (eg, the ones done by bugholes with the wrench flats to take them off)?

Looks like you were answered while I was out... in spades no less.

Of course any system will require you to change bolts or boltfaces and barrels to go to a caliber of different size bolt face. On the MRAD if you went from 338LM to 300NM you would still have to buy the kit as the headspace is controlled by the barrel AND the bolthead that are part of the kit. On the AI you could simply change the barrel. Now going from magnum boltface to standard of course all systems have to support the cartridge head so the size of boltface HAS to change.

As I stated earlier I have both the AI and the MRAD and like both. I would shoot the MRAD more if the caliber conversion kits were more available. Not raining on your parade by any means, just trying to add some tech data to the discussion.

This is an ill-informed comment. NIOA is working hard to expand production and bring back other barrett products. Barrett just had barrel maker kits for sale this weekend that sold out in less than a day. First time they've had them online in close to a year. My understanding is Proof bought all of their "A" kits for Lapua magnum sized cartridges that they had produced.
If this is true it will be a resurrection for the MRAD as Barrett let the system hang almost unsupported for so long. Now that the MRAD has the gov contract its gotten a lot more attention and popularity.

1. When you remove and re-install a barrel do you need to re-zero each time? Yes. out of habit. The system is usually within .5moa at 100 yds I believe the max allowed by their standards in 1 moa for the same barrel. Somewhere there is a video where a dude fires 5 shot groups and in between groups uninstall and then reinstalls his barrel.
  2. When swapping between different calibers ie:6.5CM to 300PRC what kind of zero shift do you experience and can you simply document it and make the adjustment to your scope without needing to re-zero? You can document and the shift is pretty reliable but i like to check zero.
  3. If you were in the market again for a weapon system that works with multiple calibers, would you go with the Barrett? I would. The engineering on it is pretty well thought out and simplistic in a sense. Its rugged, albeit heavy as a boat anchor when kitted out. Mine with scope and bipod came in at 21 pounds. I have yet to see an MRAD fail in the Wyoming dust of the NF ELR match. I wouldn't recommend a DTA having owned one. AI, Sako or maybe Cadex are the only peer's to consider for comparison

I am considering purchasing a Barrett MRAD for a few reasons:
  • Ability to easily change between calibers
  • Current barrel options from various manufactures (Barrett, Proof Research, etc)
  • Ability to have both short and long action configurations in one platform
  • Decreasing the total number of rifles in the safe
-Everett
Sorry for my posting in the wrong spot. I still learning. Never sold anything before. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I think questions 1 and 2 can be answered the same which is going to depend on someone a lot smarter and more experienced than I am. One of the authors I have read was a sniper and sniper team leader in the 3rd Ranger Battalion 75 Ranger Regiment for a number of tours in the GWOT. Whenever he was transferred to a new base or even an FOB, he would check his zero every time, with our without barrel change (from the previous one having been shot out.) It was the Knight Arms SR-25 (Army Ranger MK 11 Mod 0.) So, I would say, judging from that experience, yes, check zero after a barrel swap.

As for a multi-caliber, I also think the MRAD is a fine choice. Someone I know personally has one and he likes it. As an avid hunter and sharpshooter all of his life. That being said, one of his best hunts was an Aoudad Sheep with his .300 Win Mag.

-Everett
1. I keep a scope for each caliber, because sharing one actually does require a re-zero, from my experience.
2. I saw an inconsistent shift for all four of my calibers, which is why I went to separate scopes for each caliber.
3. I love my MRAD ... it's the last rifle in my arsenal that I'd vote off the island.