• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett MRAD vs. AXMC \ AXSR vs. ?

RifleBlog

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2017
Hey guys,

Looking to make the jump into a multi-caliber rifle finally and hoping to feel out those that have hands-on with both the MRAD and AXMC \ AXSR that can weigh in on the strengths and weaknesses. Am I missing any other multicaliber rifles other than Desert Tech? Application is solely shooting steel out to a mile, so the 300NM \ 338LM \ 300WM stuff is attractive to me.

AI obviously has a reputation that speaks for itself, Barrett obviously won the most recent contract against AI but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the superior platform. MRAD pricing seems better (have seen some used deals to be had), not too many AXMC \ AXSR rifles floating around at the moment.

Am I giving up a lot by planning on shooting a lot of short action calibers out of a longer heavier rifle that will only occasionally shoot magnums \ LA?

I have a 308 / 6.5 / 300WM now, all of which are great. No plans on shooting PRS with this new rifle, just looking to screw around and shoot steel and potentially some practical long-range \ LE-style training.

You can get an AI AXMC for a bit over 6 grand now. The AI will have greater support from others as it's been out there way longer then the MRAD. I have all three of your choices, I've still yet to get out there and fire my MRAD. I've been shooting AI's for nearly 20 years and haven't had any issues whatsoever with them. No prs comps for me so can't help with which might be best for that use. As far as caliber is concerned, I'd stick with 338 NM or 300 NM, they use the same bolt in the AI and it's just a barrel change. If you use 300 WM you'd need a different bolt then the 338s with the AIs. The barrels for the AXMC will fit the AXSR if you later get that, another plus :)

I have a 338 MRAD and love it for static shooting. I wouldn’t be toting this thing around a mountain or PRS match though, she heavy! With that said I have carried it in and out of the deer stand several times and for short trips it wasn’t too bad. Not sure what type of LE training you are referring to but as long as the trek in is short and you aren’t building multiple shooting positions these things will do anything you ask.
Had an AI 300wm and loved it. AIs have a reputation for a reason. They are great guns.

As far as the small calibers out of the big platform, I ran a 260 on the Barrett and while it was a sub half MOA hammer I decided to put the 338 barrel back on pretty much permanently. The platform was too heavy for what I wanted to do with it in a 260 which was hunting, steel and paper shooting. I guess that’s a long way of staying the MRAD isn’t a do all platform but it’s very good at what it does do.

I have a new AI AXSR in 338LM. I was surprised at what a soft shooter it is for that caliber. The AXSR is just perfect fit and finish. Comes with everything i could want. The built in ARCA rails are nice to have already built in. Both are solid guns.

Reactions: NateSavannah
I have an MRAD with four barrels ... .308-Win, 6.5-CM, 300-WM, and 338 Lapua. All four barrels are long-range tack-drivers, the action is smooth as silk, swapping barrels is literally a 5 minute project, and the magazines are super easy to load. I'm 1,000% percent ecstatic with my MRAD. It's the best multi-caliber sniper rifle on the market today ... IMHO. One thing that really surprised me was that the scope I use (Leupold Mark 5 HD 5-25x56) is within 1.5-MOA of being dead-center at 100 yards for all four barrels. I'd thought I'd need a scope per barrel, but not the case.

I have both the AXMC and AT in 338 lapua, 300 win, 6.5 creed, 308, 6mm creedmoor. My question is does anyone have good experience with the mrad platform as well? I absolutely love the AXMC but it’s just very bulky. I have fired an mrad in 308 and the trigger I have to say was sooo smooth but I only put one round down it so I can’t speak for mrad. How is the recoil in 338 lapua on mrad compared to AXMC? I’ve shot 300 rounds of 338 lapua in one sitting from my axmc and I didn’t have a skiff of discomfort.

I have both the AXMC and AT in 338 lapua, 300 win, 6.5 creed, 308, 6mm creedmoor. My question is does anyone have good experience with the mrad platform as well? I absolutely love the AXMC but it’s just very bulky. I have fired an mrad in 308 and the trigger I have to say was sooo smooth but I only put one round down it so I can’t speak for mrad. How is the recoil in 338 lapua on mrad compared to AXMC? I’ve shot 300 rounds of 338 lapua in one sitting from my axmc and I didn’t have a skiff of discomfort.
I have a MRAD with barrels in 6.5-CM, 300-WM, 300-PRC, 308-Win, and 338-LM. Had I bought it first, I would have saved my money and "not" bought several other long-range rifles I own. It's just terrific. Smooth, reliable, accurate, and simple to clean, break-down, and operate. Swapping barrels is literally a 3-minute job. I shoot it to a mile with great results. It's only limitation is the "human". Regarding your recoil question ... my 338-LM barrel had some "manageable kick" until I got my suppressor for it, and that calmed it down to a really easy recoil level. With a good suppressor (I use a SC Omega 36M) ... recoil is not a problem. With a good muzzle brake, it's "OK" for the shooter, but the concussion on the sides is damn obnoxious for the guy shooting next to you.

Thank you very much for the info that’s exactly what I was trying to find out

I feel the same way about my AI ASR that rusty feels about his Barrett.

I’ve got 6CM, 6.5CM, 308, 300NM, 338NM and I’m on the hunt for 300PRC as soon as I can get my hands on the bolt for it. But that’s 5 calibers or more out of a single rifle kit. I love the new 308 mags so no need for a mag adapter if you buy an AXMC or AXSR.

I wish I wouldnt have wasted money on other guns first and just got this the first time. Barrel changes are less than 5 min and easily done on my tail gate. I would say one advantage that the AI has over the MRAD is the barrels for AXMC which has been around for years fit the new AI AXSR so barrels are easy to get and cheap. I bought a 130 round used proof carbon 6CM here for 500 bucks. My bart 6.5CM was 475 with 75 rounds on it. That’s under 1k for two practically new quality barrels.

Reactions: NateSavannah
I feel the same way about my AI ASR that rusty feels about his Barrett.

I’ve got 6CM, 6.5CM, 308, 300NM, 338NM and I’m on the hunt for 300PRC as soon as I can get my hands on the bolt for it. But that’s 5 calibers or more out of a single rifle kit. I love the new 308 mags so no need for a mag adapter if you buy an AXMC or AXSR.

I wish I wouldnt have wasted money on other guns first and just got this the first time. Barrel changes are less than 5 min and easily done on my tail gate. I would say one advantage that the AI has over the MRAD is the barrels for AXMC which has been around for years fit the new AI AXSR so barrels are easy to get and cheap. I bought a 130 round used proof carbon 6CM here for 500 bucks. My bart 6.5CM was 475 with 75 rounds on it. That’s under 1k for two practically new quality barrels.
My sense is that the AI and MRAD rifles are very equivalent, and personal advocacy is usually based upon which one you have. Had I gotten a great deal on an AI and bought that first, I'd likely be an AI "Fan-Boy" instead of an MRAD " Fan-Boy".

Reactions: Movistar
I have the MRAD and an AIAX. Both in 308 for practice and both are very accurate. I do notice that the bolt on the AI is much smoother than the MRAD. The lifting and pushing down on the bolt is quite tight on the MRAD. I have only shot about 200 rounds so maybe it just needs some breaking in. But the AIAX is smooth out of the box.
Again, both are equally accurate and fun to shoot. Just some difference in operation I noticed.

I have the MRAD and an AIAX. Both in 308 for practice and both are very accurate. I do notice that the bolt on the AI is much smoother than the MRAD. The lifting and pushing down on the bolt is quite tight on the MRAD. I have only shot about 200 rounds so maybe it just needs some breaking in. But the AIAX is smooth out of the box.
Again, both are equally accurate and fun to shoot. Just some difference in operation I noticed.
Surprised to hear the heavy bolt issue on your MRAD. My bolt slides like butter, and seats easily and smoothly ... did from day-one.

Surprised to hear the heavy bolt issue on your MRAD. My bolt slides like butter, and seats easily and smoothly ... did from day-one.
It slides smoothly . Just the lifting and pushing down actions being stiff. It’s lighter without a round in the chamber so I am hoping it will get smoother over time.