• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barricade & Steel Silhouettes

WATERWALKER

0311 SHELLBACK
Minuteman
  • Apr 19, 2014
    Deep in the Lone Star
    Like most of y’all we’re challenged w/ finding quality ranges close to home. The closest range to me is 45 mikes out. This range only goes to 475.

Nobody on this site is going to argue that 475 is a bit short. So, lacking a suitable alternative I decided to up my game in other ways. I built a barricade w/ plans obtained from this site. Thank you @Jmartin2076. I also decided to buy more steel to supplement what we had (me & a buddy) by buying smaller targets.

To supplement the small amount of steel we had, I bought 66, 40 & 25% IPSC silhouettes from JC Steel. I bought the associated hardware from Jake as well. The couple of times I’ve taken it to the range it has held up w/ zero issues. The steel rings loud as hell. Even the 25% IPSC is plenty loud at that range.

Shooting prone at 475 gets pretty boring quickly. As I mentioned earlier, in order to get out my comfort zone & improve my shooting, I built a small, portable barricade. It took a little more time than I expected & I don’t remember the cost of materials, but it wasn’t too bad. Shooting from the barricade & under time will humble a man quickly. So far, this barricade has done exactly what I’d intended for; unconventional & uncomfortable positions. Eventually, I’ll get around to staining or painting my barricade.

I’d recommend the 25% IPSC silhouette to everyone w/ limited ranges. Your wind call doesn’t allow for too much grace at that range. I’m really glad I picked that target up.

*The picture of the 25% IPSC was taken in my driveway at about 15 yards.

PS - Don’t mind the gate along the wall. I pulled it down w/ the assumption I’d find a steel gate at Home Depot, etc that would match my other 2 gates. No such luck.

Attachments

• A191E9DD-2257-4137-A187-5075C1162FDF.jpeg
      A191E9DD-2257-4137-A187-5075C1162FDF.jpeg
      597.2 KB · Views: 124
    • 0292EC45-3CB4-4574-BB6B-570CA6F9364B.jpeg
      0292EC45-3CB4-4574-BB6B-570CA6F9364B.jpeg
      717.1 KB · Views: 118
    • 8148E688-0DFB-403C-B73E-A5432C37850B.jpeg
      8148E688-0DFB-403C-B73E-A5432C37850B.jpeg
      773 KB · Views: 120
    • 18C5213E-C514-42EC-8EC3-FFA9A6697CE1.jpeg
      18C5213E-C514-42EC-8EC3-FFA9A6697CE1.jpeg
      739.9 KB · Views: 117
    • F3C3F3B0-29D4-49FF-9BB8-97EADB86B548.jpeg
      F3C3F3B0-29D4-49FF-9BB8-97EADB86B548.jpeg
      538.4 KB · Views: 120
    Last edited:
    Looks fun mate.
    What you using to stop the barricade falling over? Or does it stand on it own while working off of it and around it? I see the feet on one side are longer. Is that the trick?
    I just built a few barricades and I reckon I’ll need some sandbags on the feet to keep the things more stable. The feet are 10 inches front and back.

The front legs are longer. They provide enough stability that you can drive the rifle quite aggressively into the barricade w/ out issue. I added the pipe & collar to simulate a ranch gate on the side as well. After a little “T & E,” I got it figured out. I played w/ the barrel bolt & latch (couple different types) before I got it right; by which I mean to say that I crushed the latch around the bolt to make it tighter. It opens & closes freely w/ minimal effort.

A buddy & I spent a day shooting from it & it accomplished its purpose immediately. It made things much more interesting by adding difficulty but by no means making shots impossible. I wasn’t shooting the 25% silhouette at 475 either.

Last edited:
    Reactions: withoutwarning
    I have one super similar to this. No real issues with stability. Obviously it’s less stable than a massive non mobile version but for my needs of dry-firing at home and taking to the range when I want it works out great.

Reactions: WATERWALKER
    Do you mind sharing the plans for your barricade setup, I’d love to start a project and yours looks great!

The front legs are longer. They provide enough stability that you can drive the rifle quite aggressively into the barricade w/ out issue. I added the pipe & collar to simulate a ranch gate on the side as well. After a little “T & E,” I got it figured out. I played w/ the barrel bolt & match (couple different types) before I got it right; by which I mean to say that I crushed the latch around the bolt to make it tighter. It opens & closes freely w/ minimal effort.

A buddy & I spent a day shooting from it & it accomplished its purpose immediately. It made things much more interesting by adding difficulty but by no means making shots impossible. I wasn’t shooting the 25% silhouette at 475 either.
    Okay cool I’ll make the front legs longer then so I can put more weight into it. Thanks.

These are the same plans I used. They should work great for you. I forgot to mention that I used a sander to radius all my sharp edges do as to avoid boo-boos on guns. I also screwed it all together so it stays together.

When we want to ensure that targets, walls and props ain't going nowhere at our IPSC pistol range, we attach them to the ground with spikes or very long screws.

I built something similar recently. The legs are a collapsible sawhorse. They extend several inches, and fold into the base for transport. The wood is held to the metal with wing nuts so that it can broken down. The uprights are mortised into the base 2x4, and are not going anywhere. The 45deg is removable- crudely inletted into the upright and base. The chain segment is replaceable with a rope segment. It is sturdy enough to drive into- modestly- but will topple over with full body weight. So far, I have only used it for dryfire practice but I don't have any complaints...
    IMG_1924.JPG

As an aside, I've used those same saw horses (with legs fully extended) for portable steel hangers (those that hang via a chain). I just drilled two holes for threaded eye bolts to be installed (upside down) in the main cross beam.

I built something similar recently. The legs are a collapsible sawhorse. They extend several inches, and fold into the base for transport. The wood is held to the metal with wing nuts so that it can broken down. The uprights are mortised into the base 2x4, and are not going anywhere. The 45deg is removable- crudely inletted into the upright and base. The chain segment is replaceable with a rope segment. It is sturdy enough to drive into- modestly- but will topple over with full body weight. So far, I have only used it for dryfire practice but I don't have any complaints...
    View attachment 6981802

I seen the video that Paul Reid did on this and was quite impressed of it expecially how easy it was to setup and transport compared to the all wood ones. Do you find it adequate to shoot off of too? I have plans of building one so I can have a portable barricade when I go to other ranges.

I’ve got several items I can practice off of at the house as well.

Attachments

• 480B43DA-4DAD-45C6-A475-238347FBD553.jpeg
      480B43DA-4DAD-45C6-A475-238347FBD553.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 40
    More steady than a typical VTAC barricade. Less so than a typical PRS barricade. I can load into it some, but not full body weight lean. It gets more stable as the legs are extended because they angle outward. For a $25 purchase from Walmart.com, the saw horse is super impressive. Hell, it’s impressive without the caveat. I wouldn’t build my range around it, but it is great for practice and I think would hold its own at a comp in a “leave no trace” environment.

More steady than a typical VTAC barricade. Less so than a typical PRS barricade. I can load into it some, but not full body weight lean. It gets more stable as the legs are extended because they angle outward. For a $25 purchase from Walmart.com, the saw horse is super impressive. Hell, it’s impressive without the caveat. I wouldn’t build my range around it, but it is great for practice and I think would hold its own at a comp in a “leave no trace” environment.

Yeah it’s hard pressed to be beat. A step ladder would compete well with it as well!