• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrier penetration round with similar ballistics to .308 168gr FGMM SMK

ScoutItOut

Night Owl
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2024
Vermont
I am looking to supplement my department issued .308 168gr FGMM SMK. We are using 20" bolt guns. I am looking for a round that will penetrate mostly glass with more constancy as a secondary round should I need it. I am looking for something that has match-level consistency that preferably shoots similar out to about 200m as our normal duty ammo. Our sniper program is still relatively new and I am hoping to draw from the experience of perhaps a larger or more well established team. Thanks!

Federal LE308TT2 168gr
Federal LE308T1 165gr
Awesome, thank you. It looks like the Federal LE308TT2 has a slightly higher muzzle velocity but lower BC than the comparable Sierra Matchking. Do you find those tend to balance out in terms of point-of-impact shifts?

I believe this topic has been thoroughly discussed recently.

I am looking to supplement my department issued .308 168gr FGMM SMK. We are using 20" bolt guns. I am looking for a round that will penetrate mostly glass with more constancy as a secondary round should I need it. I am looking for something that has match-level consistency that preferably shoots similar out to about 200m as our normal duty ammo. Our sniper program is still relatively new and I am hoping to draw from the experience of perhaps a larger or more well established team. Thanks!
The T2 from Federal or the RUAG Tactical.
Both will shoot super close to your open air POI.

RUAG trumps the T2 and all other bonded rounds.

As soon as you get a line on your barrier rounds, run don't walk from the FGMM for your open air.
Try to migrate to the Federal T308T as soon as possible with Hornady TAP as a Plan B.

Awesome, thank you. It looks like the Federal LE308TT2 has a slightly higher muzzle velocity but lower BC than the comparable Sierra Matchking. Do you find those tend to balance out in terms of point-of-impact shifts?
You will never see any POI or flight performance differences related to BC inside 300yds. If there is a POI or drop difference, it is not from BC.

We used the Hornady TAP to great effect. Zero and I mean ZERO complaints. Accurate, reliable and penetrates extremely well. I wanted to try but never got permission, the Barnes 165 TTSX on auto and window glass. I know its a spectacular round for big game in 308.

Not in the game any longer but the 180 Nosler Accubond load perform extremely well through auto glass. If my memory serves me right, once you do a test with the SMK through glass you would most likely never take a shot if anyone was close as it fragmented and dispersed inconsistently.

As soon as you get a line on your barrier rounds, run don't walk from the FGMM for your open air.
Try to migrate to the Federal T308T as soon as possible with Hornady TAP as a Plan B.

Always wanted to try the RUAG but it is never available unless LEO.

The T2 is pretty amazing though. We set up targets behind some junked double-pane glass windows and it was an eye-opening experience compared to conventional cartridges

Last edited:
I’m not Mil/LEO, but my current favorite rifle to shoot is chambered in .308, so I’ve been interested in this thread. If you can’t get a hold of the Swiss RUAG Tactical, SGAmmo has some Swiss P Styx Action for sale.

It’s a 167 gr HPBT, and on the Swiss P website, they claim all their .308 Swiss P rounds have the same POI at 100m so you can switch between bullet types easily.

I realize the bullets won’t behave the same on impact, and they’ll probably have different trajectories as you stretch them out, but it’s a chance to see if your department’s rifles like Swiss P ammo, and SGAmmo is a great company to order from, so I always recommend them when I can.

IMG_4100.jpeg

I’m not Mil/LEO, but my current favorite rifle to shoot is chambered in .308, so I’ve been interested in this thread. If you can’t get a hold of the Swiss RUAG Tactical, SGAmmo has some Swiss P Styx Action for sale.

It’s a 167 gr HPBT, and on the Swiss P website, they claim all their .308 Swiss P rounds have the same POI at 100m so you can switch between bullet types easily.

I realize the bullets won’t behave the same on impact, and they’ll probably have different trajectories as you stretch them out, but it’s a chance to see if your department’s rifles like Swiss P ammo, and SGAmmo is a great company to order from, so I always recommend them when I can.

View attachment 8362814
Doesn't do so well with barrier applications. It was part of the ammo I tried.

It is designed for terminal effects not barriers. The 163-grain barrier bullet is supposed to be the best there is.

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
Doesn't do so well with barrier applications. It was part of the ammo I tried.

It is designed for terminal effects not barriers. The 163-grain barrier bullet is supposed to be the best there is.
According to the Swiss P website, the Styx bullets sound like they behave more like a Berger VLD bullet, so I agree it’s going in the opposite direction than the OP’s stated use case.

The thing that interests me is the website claim that the various Swiss P loadings are designed to have the same point-of-impact at 100m. If that’s true, you’ve opened up your options for days when you aren’t training for shots through barriers. You wouldn’t burn through your barrier blind rounds when shooting at paper or steel.

The grain weights are different, so there’s that, but maybe two cartridges from the same manufacturer with close to the same bullet weight would behave more similarly than two cartridges from different manufacturers with the same bullet weight.

Reactions: Nik H

Unless the published numbers have changed, the BC of the bonded 168gr tipped projectile (G7 of .228) used in the LE308TT2 is better than the Sierra 168 SMK (G7 of .214). Not that it matters at LE distances, as @Terry Cross mentioned….

Reactions: Terry Cross
According to the Swiss P website, the Styx bullets sound like they behave more like a Berger VLD bullet, so I agree it’s going in the opposite direction than the OP’s stated use case.

The thing that interests me is the website claim that the various Swiss P loadings are designed to have the same point-of-impact at 100m. If that’s true, you’ve opened up your options for days when you aren’t training for shots through barriers. You wouldn’t burn through your barrier blind rounds when shooting at paper or steel.

The grain weights are different, so there’s that, but maybe two cartridges from the same manufacturer with close to the same bullet weight would behave more similarly than two cartridges from different manufacturers with the same bullet weight.
I will try to find a target to post when I get back in the shop Monday. It demonstrates their claim quite well.

Thank you, I think I'll get a few boxes of each and see if we can do some comparison tests on different barriers to convince the higher-ups

Not in the game any longer but the 180 Nosler Accubond load perform extremely well through auto glass. If my memory serves me right, once you do a test with the SMK through glass you would most likely never take a shot if anyone was close as it fragmented and dispersed inconsistently.
We ran the SMK through windshield glass from a few of different angles as well as different windshield angles. It surprised us how little deflection it actually had when the targets were in the front seat. By the time we did some rear seat shots the rounds started doing some funky things and it was impossible to account for

Ruag Swiss P ammo is used a lot by European specialized police units and has a very good reputation for consistency/accuracy. In my unit it is used by the snipers in 308 an 338 Lapua.
In 308 the Styx 167 grs HP / 168 Target / 163 Tactical do share a very similar POI at 100m in our experience.
The Tactical Projectile did extremely well in all our testing through Glass (single/double/triple layered windows, car front windshield and side windows). Pretty much no deformation and no fragmentation of the projectile occured. Accurately hitting targets up to 2 meters behind glass was possible with very little shift of the trajectory. The exact opposite of what the Styx projectile does (which is extremely effective on soft targets on the other hand).

Another interesting option would the the 154 gr "SFC" loading from the German manufacturer MEN. I'm not sure if it is available in the United States. It's a monometal Projectile which has very good performance through glass, but also has good deformation on soft target. It's very popular with German police snipers since it doesn't require switching ammo for different situations as it kind of does it all decently. But we saw very little deformation (and because of that considerable overpenetration)on soft targets at distances past 150m. Which is not surprising since it's a monometal bullet and we use somewhat short 16" barreled rifles. With longer barrels and higher velocity it's an outstanding do it all bullet for law enforcement.

As a sidenote, Armor Piercing bullets generally do horrible in shooting through glass for various reasons. Even simple SMK type projectiles usually do better than AP rounds.

Reactions: stefan73 and Nik H
Thank you, I think I'll get a few boxes of each and see if we can do some comparison tests on different barriers to convince the higher-ups
OK. I finally remembered to go dig this target up.

I fired this particular target almost 7 years ago during a demo at a SWAT conference. We are still seeing enough of this showing up in classes and training to believe current RUAG production will still perform similarly.

I fired these 18rds total in about 3 minutes from prone with Harris bipod and TAB gear rear pinch bag with a bunch of goons standing around.

I unboxed 3 rounds each of RUAG Styx, Tactical (I wrote "Glass" on the folder), Target, AP and Ball.
I tossed all 15rds into a hat, shook them up and laid them to the right of the rifle.

I got on the gun in a prone position and loaded 3 rounds of TAP (I am a Federal ammo fan but had none at this location) in the magazine.
I shot all 3 rounds of the TAP at the right bullseye.
I immediately started fishing one round of RUAG at a time out of the hat and firing at the left bullseye until I had all 15 rounds sent.

*I am pretty darned sure I did something stupid on the gun that sent the wild shot down at 5 o'clock.

1000003901.jpg

So, I'm not a very solid group shooter but we were still impressed with the results from this impromptu demo.

I don't remember which of the 5 types that I threw the one low, right shot with but I know we pulled 3 more rounds of that type and shot a separate 3 shot group on a side target that was as tight or tighter than the TAP control group.
To me, it just reinforced that the outlier shot of the 15 was due to redneck upbringing and not the ammo.

I have no doubt that if a better shooter and rifle were to take time and do a more careful test, they would have even better results.

Terry

Have you tested or used the mk319? Interested to see how it performs 300 and in being a lighter bullet

Terry

Have you tested or used the mk319? Interested to see how it performs 300 and in being a lighter bullet
No sir.
Is it even still in production?

What little info we heard from actual users is that it did sucked on post barrier tracking and wasn't very accurate in the guns tested. I don't believe it ever got any traction because it never delivered on performance. All hearsay and no direct experience by me.

Thanks

The loaded ammo looks to have been discontinued at least 2 years.

I bought a ton of the bullets when they were being sold cheap for my scar/lmt 300blk but haven’t had the time to test them.

No sir.
Is it even still in production?

What little info we heard from actual users is that it did sucked on post barrier tracking and wasn't very accurate in the guns tested. I don't believe it ever got any traction because it never delivered on performance. All hearsay and no direct experience by me.

Terry,

Just out of curiosity (and maybe you can't say), but is the Fed T2 just a SOST round under a different name? I've always been curious about that. Since Federal made the SOST rounds for Crane, I'd think the gubmint would be open to letting it (the technology) be sold as "LEO Only" ammo. Anyways, just curious... (Perhaps your response to the Mk319 inquiry is the answer?)

Terry,

Just out of curiosity (and maybe you can't say), but is the Fed T2 just a SOST round under a different name? I've always been curious about that. Since Federal made the SOST rounds for Crane, I'd think the gubmint would be open to letting it (the technology) be sold as "LEO Only" ammo. Anyways, just curious... (Perhaps your response to the Mk319 inquiry is the answer?)
I am almost 100% sure the T2 is a totally different animal.
The bullet jacket and core construction is quite a bit different. Also, the T2 has a bonded core and I do not think the 130 OTM SOST did.

Shortly, I will be talking to one that would know more. I will be glad to share any further light shed on this.

I am almost 100% sure the T2 is a totally different animal.
The bullet jacket and core construction is quite a bit different. Also, the T2 has a bonded core and I do not think the 130 OTM SOST did.

Shortly, I will be talking to one that would know more. I will be glad to share any further light shed on this.
Thanks Terry, I appreciate it!

While you're talking to your contact, it might be worth mentioning that a lighter weight, barrier penetrating round, in 30 caliber would likely be well received by pig hunters using .300 BO. It's one of the reasons for my curiosity about SOST rds, etc. The few hundred thousand surplus 130gr SOST rounds (that Federal was allowed to sell off) got some pretty stunning results by pig hunters. I'm just not sure if Federal has the awareness (or desire) to look into that market share, but I think a lot of companies are overlooking the opportunity there, for an alternative use of invested R&D in some of these rounds.

Just thinking out loud... :cool:

OK. I finally remembered to go dig this target up.

I fired this particular target almost 7 years ago during a demo at a SWAT conference. We are still seeing enough of this showing up in classes and training to believe current RUAG production will still perform similarly.

I fired these 18rds total in about 3 minutes from prone with Harris bipod and TAB gear rear pinch bag with a bunch of goons standing around.

I unboxed 3 rounds each of RUAG Styx, Tactical (I wrote "Glass" on the folder), Target, AP and Ball.
I tossed all 15rds into a hat, shook them up and laid them to the right of the rifle.

I got on the gun in a prone position and loaded 3 rounds of TAP (I am a Federal ammo fan but had none at this location) in the magazine.
I shot all 3 rounds of the TAP at the right bullseye.
I immediately started fishing one round of RUAG at a time out of the hat and firing at the left bullseye until I had all 15 rounds sent.

*I am pretty darned sure I did something stupid on the gun that sent the wild shot down at 5 o'clock.

View attachment 8366180

So, I'm not a very solid group shooter but we were still impressed with the results from this impromptu demo.

I don't remember which of the 5 types that I threw the one low, right shot with but I know we pulled 3 more rounds of that type and shot a separate 3 shot group on a side target that was as tight or tighter than the TAP control group.
To me, it just reinforced that the outlier shot of the 15 was due to redneck upbringing and not the ammo.

I have no doubt that if a better shooter and rifle were to take time and do a more careful test, they would have even better results.

That’s impressive considering there’s a 33gr difference between the tactical and the AP loads they have listed. Well done, and thank you for posting this.

Terry,

Hope this makes sense and is worth the time.

I could not readily find a pic of the bullet used in the T2 (I'm sure they are out there) so I just grabbed a T2 round and pulled the bullet.
See below:
1000003903.jpg

I sectioned the bullet and it was just like I remembered seeing on a PowerPoint a few years ago.
It isn't pretty and polished but you can get the picture.

1000003906.jpg

Minimum lead core with high antimony % and bonded to the jacket.
Jacket is very heavy and tapered from the base to the tip as with many popular big game bullets made for penetration.

Now contrast this 168gr above to the SOST 130gr (below) with conventional non-bonded core and very conventional jacket walls. The only significant thing the SOST shows is a heavy copper heel that I guess they were hoping would enhance penetration.
SOST.jpg

Also, note that the top groove in the jacket is positioned at the point in the jacket wall level with the bottom of the core.

I know you know this but I'm going to throw it in for a few others....

Not being bonded, this jacket will tend to peel and separate when transiting a barrier and as it peels, the jacket will break at the weak spot toward the bottom of the core. This fragmentation divides the mass which causes more surface area in motion which causes deceleration which costs energy which costs penetration.

Even if it somehow managed to get most of the pieces through a barrier, the post barrier tracking would be a shit show with zero consistency.
The bullet integrity failing while trying to negotiate a barrier would also generate a shit ton more unnecessary spalling than other proven rounds.

Last edited:
Thanks Terry, I appreciate it!

While you're talking to your contact, it might be worth mentioning that a lighter weight, barrier penetrating round, in 30 caliber would likely be well received by pig hunters using .300 BO. It's one of the reasons for my curiosity about SOST rds, etc. The few hundred thousand surplus 130gr SOST rounds (that Federal was allowed to sell off) got some pretty stunning results by pig hunters. I'm just not sure if Federal has the awareness (or desire) to look into that market share, but I think a lot of companies are overlooking the opportunity there, for an alternative use of invested R&D in some of these rounds.

Just thinking out loud... :cool:
I totally see that bullet being excellent for pigs and such. The fact that it fragments as it penetrates would be the schnitz on pork.
Federal might could tweak it to perform better at the typical 300BO velocity thresholds. Sorta like Hornady did with their 5.56 SBR line of ammo.

One of my questions to them is whether they are starting to recover at all from the raw material/supply/production/demand gaps all of the ammo companies have had in the last 4 years. No answer yet but I know they are less enthusiastic with new SKUs when they are already getting their ass chewed for not delivering existing product lines.

Great info! Appreciate the pics of the t2. If you ever want to test the 319 against what you have personally witnessed let me know and I’ll send you some bullets.

Great info! Appreciate the pics of the t2. If you ever want to test the 319 against what you have personally witnessed let me know and I’ll send you some bullets.
I appreciate the offer very much, but I will decline.

Reality is that it is a moot point for us to even try it since absolutely no L.E. teams could field it.
It is not available as a complete cartridge offering and zero agencies would even consider reloaded ammo.

So.... even if it performed excellently (and I would put money on it sucking) through heavy glass, it could never be used.

First off, I’m not a ballistician or an engineer or anything special at all, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night…

And I apologize, the title of your thread has to do with barrier rounds with similar ballistics of GMM and I saw some posts on BC and MV, I’m assuming you are at a PD in the US so I’m writing from a standpoint of short range open or barrier applications from a LE viewpoint so I base my ammo selections on POA/POI, accuracy (short distance), TB, and performance in LE specific applications and not in tech specs or long distances/factors. Again, I have very little knowledge of that kind of info. Any knowledge I have (which is very little) is confined to the LE application of precision shots of 308+ calibers.

Secondly, everyone here is very knowledgeable, smart, and has a ton of experience so absorb all that they have offered. That being said, and you probably already do this but if you haven’t already I would encourage you to go out and build a windshield holder out of a couple sawhorses and a res window holder out of some stands and clamps. Any windshield replacement shop will give you all the windshields you want and res glass window businesses will donate windows to LE for testing in my experience and with some goodwill. Get a bunch and then shoot your duty and a bunch of other different types of rounds through glass for yourself and your supervisors/agency. Stack cardboard targets on stands behind the glass every couple feet or so as a cheap way to see what each one does as far as separation, spawl, glass frags, and bullet behavior. We also check deflection and as a result no longer take that into account for our POA. Our ghetto method for that was to have a shooter staged and rifle safe, keeping the rifle parallel to the end aiming target. Shooter aims through the glass and we place a 1” dot on that rear target as his aiming point. Then via radio we place a 1” dot on the windshield at his direction so that it is lined up in the exact same spot/plane (as best we can) as the rearmost aiming end dot. We are trying to eliminate any shooter induced miss that we may interpret as bullet deflection by glass angle or rake. Once those two dots are set we then fill in the space between them with cardboard targets starting right behind the glass all the way back to the rear target. Then when shot is fired we can see where the round hit on the windshield in reference to the dot there and compare to the impact at the rear dot. As you know we rarely see every round fired punch the very center diamond of the target dot every time, and when aiming through the windshield at a dot behind it and firing, how would we know if the round on the dot behind the glass was high or low or left or right due to possible deflection or shooter induced? This way we can compare the two (impact in relation to dot on windshield compared to impact in relation to dot on target behind windshield) and make a deduction. Plus the targets in between show all the behaviors and pieces and travel/path of the bullet and bullet/glass pieces. I’m sure tons of guys have been doing this already but we only started doing it a few years ago after a training course where someone said the military tested glass deflection in a lab setting and found there really wasn’t any, at least in our application/distance with specific barrier rounds.

So we wanted to see for ourselves and this is what we came up with and we’ve found (again, our opinion/observations only) that there was little to no deflection given a good barrier round at a target behind windows at pretty big distances (20+ feet behind windshields and 30+ feet behind res windows) with a ton of induced angle/rake, so we removed that thought or worry or factor from our minds on our very specific/limited application. Obviously there are tons of factors of caliber, bullet composition, speed, etc but with the ruag tactical and T1 etc it’s not a factor or thought for us now.

Disclaimer: This discussion only applies to our 308/338 barrier rounds fired at glass in specific situations, NOT firing pistol or carbine rounds of all types from inside out of cars or vehicles and bullet behaviors in those instances, if that makes sense. And this pertains to average/standard res windows and windshields only, other glass types (commercial, fire rated, commercial laminated and plexiglass etc) are a whole other ballgame. For that go to your bigger commercial glass outfit and ask for samples of glass they put up in schools, gov buildings, commercial places (banks, 7-11’s, etc.) and shoot those as well and then get a 338…

Now for more info/opinions:

My ammo supplier said that the Federal LE 308T1 has been discontinued. T2 is their (federal’s) only LE barrier round now for 308 that I know of. I think Speer is part of federals parent company? But honestly I’ve never tried their GDSP 308’s that come in 150 or 168.

And I’ve been told that Ruag’s tactical has changed or is changing to a 164 from a 163? I don’t have any of the 164’s yet though, just 163’s.

And another disclaimer, (my opinion only!!!) I’m not a Hornady TAP fan at all. Any kind of TAP. We’ve tested/tried it and did not work for us in particular. I’m not talking TB or barrier performance but POA/POI, FTF and accuracy in our guns. But they do have the 165 GMX that some folks have and/or use for barriers. I know it works for lots of others though so you can prob disregard all that info. And apparently Terry can shoot good groups with it!!! But for us we have 14 guys/guns and we have to pick the ammo that shoots best overall for the group and Terry made them so they shoot federal very well but we haven’t had much luck with Hornady from FTF’s to accuracy etc. we shoot with lots of outside agencies at our trainings and when they all switched from TAP to federal T308T they said it made a big difference and they haven’t looked back. But all guns are different and some shoot stuff better than others. Our guns can prob shoot tap just fine we prob just F’ed it up, cause Terry showed above that his guns shoot tap very well!

It’s all anecdotal and individualized but in our testing we saw (again, our opinion only) too much going on with the T2 through window barriers (residential glass of different types as well as windshields etc.) and we weren’t comfortable with it in its application of shooting it at a suspect with an innocent right next to them and in close or not so close proximity to the barrier. But I know a ton of agencies use and like the T2’s. The T1’s did much better (again, our opinion only) but weren’t as accurate overall. But we used T1’s up until recently due to how it performed through glass specifically. But due to the T1’s accuracy, POA/POI in conjunction with our open air rounds of GMM and T308T we wanted to explore a change and ran some more tests.

The Ruag Tactical (glass barrier) rounds performed the best by far and hold a very good POA/POI in conjunction with GMM or T308T (at least in our guns, all KMW’s) and shoot small groups as demonstrated by Terry’s pic above. We made the switch from T1’s to the Ruag barrier for our 308’s. We also shoot the ruag (and always have) out of our 338’s at Terry’s recommendation. I’d shoot all ruag in our 308’s if we could, if money were no object. But unfortunately it always is.

Be prepared for extreme sticker shock on ruag Ammo pricing. We are fortunate and have a lot of support and a good Ammo budget but I just bought 1500 rounds of Ruag 308 Tactical barrier (apparently in 164 now but I haven’t gotten it yet) and paid $6,345 for it. That’s $4.23 a round for 308. And that was the best price I could find. But for the kind of shot you might be taking in that situation with a barrier round in my opinion price is no longer an object. Plus for training and purchasing you probably won’t fire a ton of your barrier rounds all the time so my thought process was to get the best barrier round possible and price be darned, whereas your open air rounds which are fired for most quantity/volume during trainings, traps and other scenarios, is where price becomes an issue due to quantity fired and the federal rounds are really really good and priced right.

Irritatingly, the other issue I ran into is that the ATF now considers the 308 ruag all copper barrier round to be AP based on their definitions so I had to submit a FET, dept purchase order, and a ton of other docs on this order. Which is funny because the 338 tactical, same exact construction (as far as I know) as the 308 tactical, is not considered AP by the ATF unless that has changed recently. I was told it has to do with 308’s being a “pistol” capable caliber and that’s why they consider it AP in 308? I personally have no idea, just some info I was told.

Anyway, get a bunch of ammo and go shoot some windows and figure out what works best for you and your gun and your agency/application.

Again, I’m absolutely not an expert at all, just a regular yahoo so if anyone thinks I’m crazy I’d probably agree with them.

And another disclaimer, (my opinion only!!!) I’m not a Hornady TAP fan at all. Any kind of TAP. We’ve tested/tried it and did not work for us in particular. I’m not talking TB or barrier performance but POA/POI, FTF and accuracy in our guns. But they do have the 165 GMX that some folks have and/or use for barriers. I know it works for lots of others though so you can prob disregard all that info. And apparently Terry can shoot good groups with it!!! But for us we have 14 guys/guns and we have to pick the ammo that shoots best overall for the group and Terry made them so they shoot federal very well but we haven’t had much luck with Hornady from FTF’s to accuracy etc. we shoot with lots of outside agencies at our trainings and when they all switched from TAP to federal T308T they said it made a big difference and they haven’t looked back. But all guns are different and some shoot stuff better than others. Our guns can prob shoot tap just fine we prob just F’ed it up, cause Terry showed above that his guns shoot tap very well!
Thank you for taking the time to pen your entire post.

I want to clarify that, Yes I have shot a few decent groups with TAP but I am absolutely NOT a Hornady or Hornady TAP fan.

I have a small pile of "out of spec" .308 rounds from the last several years of classes that my student's allowed me to keep for measuring, etc.
That pile is 75% Hornady. Hands down we see more QC issues with Hornady than all the other ammo brands combined.

Hornady has done a superior job of marketing in the last few years. Maybe even on par with SureFire marketing in years past.

That and the fact that Federal could not reliably meet demand for a while is the only reason Hornady is now used by so many agencies.
An additional catalyst is that the ASA along with SniperCraft are hard core Hornady enthusiasts so they endorse it above all else. They have now been educated about the Fed T308T and RUAG but they are unflinching.

Just wanted to make sure my feelings were clear to the dear readers here.
I felt kinda dirty after you mentioned me shooting the TAP well. LOL.

We ran the SMK through windshield glass from a few of different angles as well as different windshield angles. It surprised us how little deflection it actually had when the targets were in the front seat. By the time we did some rear seat shots the rounds started doing some funky things and it was impossible to account for
Take a look at this homemade stand.

I made it a few years ago for less than $45.
It comes apart and folds down flat for storage or transport. It can adjust the glass angle easily. It can trap flat panels against the bracing at 90 degrees.
We use it a lot.

**NOTE: The yellow board in this pic is not part of the stand. That was just a scrap piece of wood to help stabilize this windshield that had a major fracture all the way down the middle.
IMG_9203.jpg

If interested, shoot me a PM. I can share a couple of better pics and some details without derailing this thread any further.

An additional catalyst is that the ASA along with SniperCraft are hard core Hornady enthusiasts so they endorse it above all else. They have now been educated about the Fed T308T and RUAG but they are unflinching.
#1 - ha ha ha ha, sorry, not my intent! Just super impressed (as always) with your skill to be able to get that group out of it!

#2 - Hmmmm…wonder why that is……..

I want to clarify that, Yes I have shot a few decent groups with TAP but I am absolutely NOT a Hornady or Hornady TAP fan.

I have a small pile of "out of spec" .308 rounds from the last several years of classes that my student's allowed me to keep for measuring, etc.
That pile is 75% Hornady. Hands down we see more QC issues with Hornady than all the other ammo brands combined.

Hornady has done a superior job of marketing in the last few years. Maybe even on par with SureFire marketing in years past.

That and the fact that Federal could not reliably meet demand for a while is the only reason Hornady is now used by so many agencies.

Just wanted to make sure my feelings were clear to the dear readers here.

Hmmm...very interesting. We have been hearing similar comments out here, about Hornady's recent QC issues as well. A lot of grumbling.

TBH, the last bulk batch of ELD-M's I ordered (1k) were all over the place, consistency wise. Methinks someone is running the machines too fast, or the tooling too long (or both), to meet demand. Not a good sign, regardless of the cause.

For over-the-air shooting with 6.5 CM, I shoot Hornady 140-grain ELD-M (white box) and it is pretty good. I prefer the Federal GMM loaded with the Berger 130 grain but it don't do well in my AXMC with its large firing pin. Does stellar on my AT.

First off, I’m not a ballistician or an engineer or anything special at all, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night…

And I apologize, the title of your thread has to do with barrier rounds with similar ballistics of GMM and I saw some posts on BC and MV, I’m assuming you are at a PD in the US so I’m writing from a standpoint of short range open or barrier applications from a LE viewpoint so I base my ammo selections on POA/POI, accuracy (short distance), TB, and performance in LE specific applications and not in tech specs or long distances/factors. Again, I have very little knowledge of that kind of info. Any knowledge I have (which is very little) is confined to the LE application of precision shots of 308+ calibers.

Secondly, everyone here is very knowledgeable, smart, and has a ton of experience so absorb all that they have offered. That being said, and you probably already do this but if you haven’t already I would encourage you to go out and build a windshield holder out of a couple sawhorses and a res window holder out of some stands and clamps. Any windshield replacement shop will give you all the windshields you want and res glass window businesses will donate windows to LE for testing in my experience and with some goodwill. Get a bunch and then shoot your duty and a bunch of other different types of rounds through glass for yourself and your supervisors/agency. Stack cardboard targets on stands behind the glass every couple feet or so as a cheap way to see what each one does as far as separation, spawl, glass frags, and bullet behavior. We also check deflection and as a result no longer take that into account for our POA. Our ghetto method for that was to have a shooter staged and rifle safe, keeping the rifle parallel to the end aiming target. Shooter aims through the glass and we place a 1” dot on that rear target as his aiming point. Then via radio we place a 1” dot on the windshield at his direction so that it is lined up in the exact same spot/plane (as best we can) as the rearmost aiming end dot. We are trying to eliminate any shooter induced miss that we may interpret as bullet deflection by glass angle or rake. Once those two dots are set we then fill in the space between them with cardboard targets starting right behind the glass all the way back to the rear target. Then when shot is fired we can see where the round hit on the windshield in reference to the dot there and compare to the impact at the rear dot. As you know we rarely see every round fired punch the very center diamond of the target dot every time, and when aiming through the windshield at a dot behind it and firing, how would we know if the round on the dot behind the glass was high or low or left or right due to possible deflection or shooter induced? This way we can compare the two (impact in relation to dot on windshield compared to impact in relation to dot on target behind windshield) and make a deduction. Plus the targets in between show all the behaviors and pieces and travel/path of the bullet and bullet/glass pieces. I’m sure tons of guys have been doing this already but we only started doing it a few years ago after a training course where someone said the military tested glass deflection in a lab setting and found there really wasn’t any, at least in our application/distance with specific barrier rounds.

So we wanted to see for ourselves and this is what we came up with and we’ve found (again, our opinion/observations only) that there was little to no deflection given a good barrier round at a target behind windows at pretty big distances (20+ feet behind windshields and 30+ feet behind res windows) with a ton of induced angle/rake, so we removed that thought or worry or factor from our minds on our very specific/limited application. Obviously there are tons of factors of caliber, bullet composition, speed, etc but with the ruag tactical and T1 etc it’s not a factor or thought for us now.

Disclaimer: This discussion only applies to our 308/338 barrier rounds fired at glass in specific situations, NOT firing pistol or carbine rounds of all types from inside out of cars or vehicles and bullet behaviors in those instances, if that makes sense. And this pertains to average/standard res windows and windshields only, other glass types (commercial, fire rated, commercial laminated and plexiglass etc) are a whole other ballgame. For that go to your bigger commercial glass outfit and ask for samples of glass they put up in schools, gov buildings, commercial places (banks, 7-11’s, etc.) and shoot those as well and then get a 338…

Now for more info/opinions:

My ammo supplier said that the Federal LE 308T1 has been discontinued. T2 is their (federal’s) only LE barrier round now for 308 that I know of. I think Speer is part of federals parent company? But honestly I’ve never tried their GDSP 308’s that come in 150 or 168.

And I’ve been told that Ruag’s tactical has changed or is changing to a 164 from a 163? I don’t have any of the 164’s yet though, just 163’s.

It’s all anecdotal and individualized but in our testing we saw (again, our opinion only) too much going on with the T2 through window barriers (residential glass of different types as well as windshields etc.) and we weren’t comfortable with it in its application of shooting it at a suspect with an innocent right next to them and in close or not so close proximity to the barrier. But I know a ton of agencies use and like the T2’s. The T1’s did much better (again, our opinion only) but weren’t as accurate overall. But we used T1’s up until recently due to how it performed through glass specifically. But due to the T1’s accuracy, POA/POI in conjunction with our open air rounds of GMM and T308T we wanted to explore a change and ran some more tests.

The Ruag Tactical (glass barrier) rounds performed the best by far and hold a very good POA/POI in conjunction with GMM or T308T (at least in our guns, all KMW’s) and shoot small groups as demonstrated by Terry’s pic above. We made the switch from T1’s to the Ruag barrier for our 308’s. We also shoot the ruag (and always have) out of our 338’s at Terry’s recommendation. I’d shoot all ruag in our 308’s if we could, if money were no object. But unfortunately it always is.

Be prepared for extreme sticker shock on ruag Ammo pricing. We are fortunate and have a lot of support and a good Ammo budget but I just bought 1500 rounds of Ruag 308 Tactical barrier (apparently in 164 now but I haven’t gotten it yet) and paid $6,345 for it. That’s $4.23 a round for 308. And that was the best price I could find. But for the kind of shot you might be taking in that situation with a barrier round in my opinion price is no longer an object. Plus for training and purchasing you probably won’t fire a ton of your barrier rounds all the time so my thought process was to get the best barrier round possible and price be darned, whereas your open air rounds which are fired for most quantity/volume during trainings, traps and other scenarios, is where price becomes an issue due to quantity fired and the federal rounds are really really good and priced right.

Irritatingly, the other issue I ran into is that the ATF now considers the 308 ruag all copper barrier round to be AP based on their definitions so I had to submit a FET, dept purchase order, and a ton of other docs on this order. Which is funny because the 338 tactical, same exact construction (as far as I know) as the 308 tactical, is not considered AP by the ATF unless that has changed recently. I was told it has to do with 308’s being a “pistol” capable caliber and that’s why they consider it AP in 308? I personally have no idea, just some info I was told.

Anyway, get a bunch of ammo and go shoot some windows and figure out what works best for you and your gun and your agency/application.

Again, I’m absolutely not an expert at all, just a regular yahoo so if anyone thinks I’m crazy I’d probably agree with them.
Thank you for that. I have done a pretty similar test with windshields, but it was a limited day with just my current duty ammo. It was helpful to see, but not in-depth enough to really trust completely. I'll have to reach out to our local businesses and see how much glass we can get and run a full day through them. I appreciate your input on the rounds performance, I am in heavily wooded mountains, so long shots would be extremely rare, with the exception of the occasional event security- type role, so consistent barrier penetration is much more a concern. I am thinking based on this thread that I can get our PD to splurge on a box or two of a bunch of the rounds mentioned and test them out. I I doubt they will let us replace our GMM until we run through our stockpile, but it may be something we can work on phasing out as supplies are ate up

Contact Blackhills, They were very generous sending my former agency various boxes of ammo for testing. I'm certain it will require letterhead, etc. but it may be worth your while to do so. If they have something that fit's your requirements, direct purchase should work unless it runs afoul of bidding/procurement rules.

@Terry Cross

This thread got me interested in sending rounds through glass just to see what happens. Not a Sniper by any means, just wanted to play w something new.

I was told the “Ruag Swiss P: .308 Win Tactical (Glass) 163gr, 20/ Box” was not available to me because ATF considers it an AP round.

Is that true or was the ammo man misinformed?

Last thing I want is a knock at my door. I keep my nose clean & want to keep it that way.

@Terry Cross

This thread got me interested in sending rounds through glass just to see what happens. Not a Sniper by any means, just wanted to play w something new.

I was told the “Ruag Swiss P: .308 Win Tactical (Glass) 163gr, 20/ Box” was not available to me because ATF considers it an AP round.

Is that true or was the ammo man misinformed?

Last thing I want is a knock at my door. I keep my nose clean & want to keep it that way.
Unfortunately he is correct.

From what I understand, the trouble started with the language and description of that round on import docs.
The ATF bit hard on that and is insisting on running it into the ground all the way to the user level. Dumb fucks.
Agencies have to jump through paperwork hoops to get it. You can re-read the post from SPSWATIP above relating their user level experience.

Typical of most ATF contrivances, it is absurd.
Someone with a liberal arts degree and a Joe/Kamala sticker on their car decided that since it is a monolithic solid, it must be the same as a DU sabot round. Dumb fucks.

Reality is the bullet used in RUAG Tactical is no more an AP round than the monolithic solids like the Hornady CX, Barnes and the PVA Peregrine Precision solids.

I am not clear on whether possession of the RUAG Tactical is "illegal" or just the disposition pipeline is overcontrolled, so I will kindly plead being too ignorant on the details to give you guidance on the user level.

**Did I mention that the bureaucrats writing rules willynilly are dumb fucks?

Hope this explains a little better but I know still doesn't answer your ultimate question. Sorry.

From what I understand, the trouble started with the language and description of that round on import docs.
The ATF bit hard on that and is insisting on running it into the ground all the way to the user level. Dumb fucks.
Agencies have to jump through paperwork hoops to get it. You can re-read the post from SPSWATIP above relating their user level experience.

Someone with a liberal arts degree and a Joe/Kamala sticker on their car decided that since it is a monolithic solid, it must be the same as a DU sabot round. Dumb fucks.

Reality is the bullet used in RUAG Tactical is no more an AP round than the monolithic solids like the Hornady CX, Barnes and the PVA Peregrine Precision solids.

I am not clear on whether possession of the RUAG Tactical is "illegal" or just the disposition pipeline is overcontrolled, so I will kindly plead being too ignorant on the details to give you guidance on the user level.

Hope this explains a little better but I know still doesn't answer your ultimate question. Sorry.
I appreciate the insight.

I'll just load up some monolithic solids and play with them.

Thank you for taking the time to respond (y)

I was told that the ATF considers 308 like a pistol round as it can be used in AR10s labeled as a pistol (brace?). Therefore, it falls under the regulations governing the selling of AP pistol rounds to non-LEO which is against the law. This is why we can buy AP 338 LM.

Pretty silly.

Great thread. Terminal ballistics on barriers is something that has always fascinated me, and I've done a bit of testing to see what's available for the regular consumer market that performs well.

I'd say take the advice of the guys who do this for a living first, but here's my 0.02c for anyone reading this who doesn't have agency letterhead to play with the RUAG:

not the same PoI as FGMM, but 175gr Terminal Ascent has had such good performance in all my tests on a wide variety of target profiles that my "the world has gone to shit"/Hunting ammo stock is a few cases of the stuff. Its expensive, but probably the only 'super premium' round I've ever felt I was actually getting what I paid for.

Vs barriers (wood/drywall/misc construction material) and Tempered Glass it had minimal deflection and high retained weight, in open air vs targets with heavy clothing it behaves like a fun combination of an expanding hollow point and a soft point.

on live deer in hunting season all of the deer I've hit with it have dropped on the spot with shredded vitals, including one where it passed through a small tree (~3" trunk diameter) first. It also behaves well on Alabama Feral Hog, even with thick hide and bone

What sort of issues are you seeing? Not here for a fight, want to fix the problems if it's within my reach.

What sort of issues are you seeing? Not here for a fight, want to fix the problems if it's within my reach.
#1: Oversize and Undersize rounds. Not detectible by visual exam. Basically the shoulder datum is too far forward creating a hard if not impossible bolt close (most common) or too short causing ignition issues because of sloppy fit in the chamber. I have collected over 20 rounds from 20 different lots in the last 4 years that won't fit even in a sloppy 700P.

#2: Split necks after firing and some found even before firing. I guess this is an annealing issue with the brass.

To be fair, Hornady is not the only one but they are by far the most common offender.

I always devote at least 5 to 10 minutes of each Basic class to preaching about ammo inspection up to and including cycling it through the rifle prior to packing the ammo for deployment.

Reactions: Ledzep