• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Barska 6.5 - 20X 50MM target dot review

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
OK yeah I know, another cheap scope review. It was $65.00, going on a .22LR, and only as an in between scope until the gun optics fund gets fatter. So since I got it, might as well piece together a review.

The Barska 6.5 - 20X 50MM target dot, usually under $100.00, even found for under $70.00. So I purchased one as a holdover until the funds grow a little to put toward a more historically dependable scope. For under $100.00, I wasn't expecting much (which is what I received), but was also suprised at few good points the scope has.

I took out the scope, it had a decent matte finish to it, clean lines, and no extra "flash" or trinkets you don't need.

12232011011.jpg

Some of the features / specs:

1" one piece tube
6.5 - 20x magnification
50MM objective
Adjustable objective.
Finger adjustable knobs
1/8" target dot reticle
1/8" @ 100 yards adjustments
Eye releif 3.5"
FOV (at 100 yards) 16 ft @ 6.5X / 5.7 ft @ 20X
Weight 22.3 oz.

First thing I noticed was the weight, it was heavier than I expected. Second thing I noticed looking through the optic was how how clear and bright it actually was, no yellowing or distortions of what I was looking at. I was quite shocked at the crispness of the image, especially for the price. Far better than other budget scopes I've owned or had the pleasure to use that were in this price range, even comparable to the clarity of the $300.00 range. Some of the other Barska models are hit and miss in this department, at least of the ones I've owned (or set back). However most have good comments about the clarity of the target and varmint models that Barska puts out, and I can confirm that at least this target model is really clear, sharp, and bright.

12232011012.jpg

The large objective had a ring around the end of the bell that screwed off, to facilitate a sunshade, that is if you can find one that fits. Turning the objective to focus was smooth, no dragging or rubbing feeling, and once at the range was pretty accurate to the labeling around the focus ring.

12232011013.jpg

The adjustment knobs where nothing to write home about, very basic, but at least finger adjustable. Would have liked to see a taller turret on a "target" optic though. One drawback was that the windage turret matched the elevation turret - no seperated numbers for left or right adjustment, went from 0 to 7 one way. Would have been nice, even in this price range, if they took the time to emboss a seperate turret for windage.

12232011017.jpg

The turrets did make loud positive clicks when adjusted. When adjusted to a particular number, there was a bit of slop / wiggle, but it didn't move the adjustment.

The turrets were mounted on a pedestal that had markings so you can keep track of your revolutions past 0.

12232011020.jpg

(continued below)

Re: Barska 6.5 - 20X 50MM target dot review

part 2

Moving on to the eyebell, there was no eye focus to help sharpen the reticle image, however by loosening the nut behind the power ring, the eyebell could be spun until the image sharpened, then the nut could be tightened.

Eye relief with this scope is very important, and it did take a little to get it just right when mounting it. It also proved to be even more important once i got to the range, more on that later.

122320110142.jpg

While mounting the scope, I figured I'd the try low height rings that were already mounted on a 20 MOA base. The 50mm objective would not allow that to happen, so I went to a pair of high height - too high. Medium was just right for that objective and the thick base. I'd have to say with regular weaver bases or dovetailed receiver, that high height rings are the only way you'll get clearance on the barrel.

brskascopeclearance.jpg

Once mounted, I though perhaps the large objective would look out of place, but it didn't seem so.

barskaonrifle2.jpg

barskaonrifle3.jpg

barskaonrifle4.jpg

continued below

Re: Barska 6.5 - 20X 50MM target dot review

part 3

As commented on before the image through the optic was nice and clear, and the non distracting crosshair w/ target dot in the center is just the right size for targets at known distances.

12232011018.jpg

At 50 yards, 6.5 power, the dot covers 1/2", on 14 power the dot covers 1/4" (the picture does no justice to how clear and undistorted the view actually is, even out to 200 yards)

barskadot50yards.jpg

At 100 yards, 10 power the dot covers 1" perfectly, and on 13
/ 14ish power covers 1/2"

The scope surprisingly tracked well (at least for now) and 8 1/8" clicks at 100 did actually equal 1" of adjustment. I ran roughly 250 rounds getting to know the new scope between 25 yards and 200 yards, it actually returned to zero.

On a side note, the turrets are resettable, however take a very small flat screwdriver with you to the range as the set screws are slotted instead of the familiar Allen head. A jeweler's screwdriver, eyeglass repair kit screwdriver, or similiar screwdriver is a must to acheive resetting the turrets. I actually took a file to make skinnier a spare small slotted screwdriver i had in my range box to accomodate the set screws, as I forgot my jeweler's driver set with me.

The eyerelief is very crucial and sensitive on this scope. As with most scopes in this price range, it starts to get glance outs and grey around the edges when starting to get into the higher magnifications, right around 15 / 16 power, 18 can be used to shoot if you are in that "sweet spot" with the eye relief, but is tricky and image distortion start to show up. 19X / 20X is maybe OK to spot shots if you catch it correctly, but not really all that usable.

All in all not a bad scope for the low cost, it has it's good points and it's bad ones.

I am going to be using it for silhouette and paper shooting from 50 to 200 yards so the mechanisms do get a work out. Do I expect this scope to last more than 2 years? No, but I will be pleasantly surprised if it does as comparable low dollar scopes I've owned hasn't either.

As of right now, it appears that for under $100.00 (sometimes under $70.00) it is a fine scope for plinking and light / mild target use.