• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bartlein #3 barrel contour Pic Request

BigCheese1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
I am debating between a Bartlein #3 for my 30-06 build... or a 1.250x 5.00 taper to .900 Barrel with fluting. I hate looking at skinny little barrels but I need to find a happy medium for a practical hunting/ range gun.

The barrel will probably be 22" (I know I know 30-06 uses longer barrels)

Can anyone throw up some pictures of their Bartlein #3 barrels??

Thanks!

I am having a rifle built now in 300wm with a #3 contour because I want it light weight for hunting. Just keep in mind if you want it threaded for a brake their isn't much there to do it. Chad at rifles inc. recommended against it. Just an FYI.

Bartlein #3's are the same contour as most manufactures #4 contours, they're between a Remington Magnum contour and the Sendero contour.

Thanks for the quick responses but gosh... Its so thin! I almost want to go with the heavy varmint contour and get several flutes or something! I am kinda limited to these two contours because they are the only ones in stock and have the right twist rate for my build!
Does anyone have pictures of the heavy varmint 1.250x 5.00 taper to .900 Barrel? Would it be doable at 22" with fluting in an HS Precision stock?

Thanks for the quick responses but gosh... Its so thin! I almost want to go with the heavy varmint contour and get several flutes or something! I am kinda limited to these two contours because they are the only ones in stock and have the right twist rate for my build!
Does anyone have pictures of the heavy varmint 1.250x 5.00 taper to .900 Barrel? Would it be doable at 22" with fluting in an HS Precision stock?

How much more would a heavy varmint weigh as opposed to this? And would it be THAT much more weight when hunting? I would go more towards the heavy varmint or the rem varmint/sendero contour.

How much more would a heavy varmint weigh as opposed to this? And would it be THAT much more weight when hunting? I would go more towards the heavy varmint or the rem varmint/sendero contour.

Thats what I am thinking. I would rather have more than not enough meat on my barrel. Thanks Andy

Hey Bob, when you got your stock did you order it direct and specify the barrel contour or did you get it from stockystocks with just the standard sporter contour they sell?

Hey Bob, when you got your stock did you order it direct and specify the barrel contour or did you get it from stockystocks with just the standard sporter contour they sell?

The marble stock was ordered to my requested spec from McMillan, so it all fit perfectly. The OD stock was ordered from Stockys and required some slight manipulation to accept the barrel.

Here's the HV, but this one is .940" at muzzle.
ydz4RbP.jpg

That's Perfect!!!!!!!! I just heard angels singing. Thank you my friend.

As others have said #3 Bartlein = #4 for alot of other barrel makers. While a #3 is not heavy it is not exactly light either. I think it is perfect for a hunting rig. PSinclair said after 4 shots with this same contour in a 6.5 SAUM his groups start to open up a bit.

I helped a buddy build a 24" 7SAUM on this same #3 Bartlein contour. At that finish length we had 0.203" of meat to thread for a brake. In a .308 at 22" you'd have 0.201" thick so basically the same. If you want a hunting brake such as a VIAS Micro order it with 9/16 x 32 TPI threads and it works great. The finer threads are not as deep and allow you to thread it for a brake.

If you want to shoot 8-10 rounds before taking a brake without letting it cool I think Rem Varmit is a good compromise of a little bit more meat but not quite ridiculously heavy for a hunting gun such as an M24 or MTU contour. I have a Rem Varmit 26" 7SAUM on a LA and rigged up with a heavy scope, tactical rings, tactical brake and a stock pack it comes in just over 12#

Last edited:
I am going to do the Rem Varmint contour at 22". HS Precision stock.. (very light, Idk what model) PTG DBM, Karsten cheek rest and stock pack, Harris 3-6 bipod, and SWFA 3-15 scope. I am hoping it comes in at 10#

Bigcheese, what bullet do you plan on using in the 06? Maybe you know this but with the advent of the new powders the 308 is right up there with the 06, Ive got a load with the Hornady 178 that goes 2723(24") with no pressure signs, just something to ponder.

I am debating between a Bartlein #3 for my 30-06 build... or a 1.250x 5.00 taper to .900 Barrel with fluting. I hate looking at skinny little barrels but I need to find a happy medium for a practical hunting/ range gun.

The barrel will probably be 22" (I know I know 30-06 uses longer barrels)

Can anyone throw up some pictures of their Bartlein #3 barrels??

Thanks!

Just a side note, you mentioned that you want to find a "happy medium for a pratical hunting / range gun." FYI a barrel in the HV contour will be just that.. HEAVY! I have a few MTU contour barreled rigs (MTU specs are very close to HV) and they are all around the 17lb. to 18lb. mark fully equipped. With that said, that is just way too heavy for a rifle that will be used for hunting in my opinion & I'm 6'1" 200lbs with an athletic build. Now, depending on the type of stock and accessories you may equip the rifle with, you may shed a few lbs. of weight from the rifle but not nearly enough for one that will be carried around the woods all day or possibly fired from the unsupported standing position at game.

Take a look at my 9.8lb rig..

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...dous-kill-stick-has-arrived-16-5-6-5x47l.html

Last edited:
Bigcheese, what bullet do you plan on using in the 06? Maybe you know this but with the advent of the new powders the 308 is right up there with the 06, Ive got a load with the Hornady 178 that goes 2723(24") with no pressure signs, just something to ponder.

I am still not sure on the bullet weight. I am aware that the 308 is up there now! :) But since i have a long action laying around I figured I might as well just go with the old '06.

Just a side note, you mentioned that you want to find a "happy medium for a pratical hunting / range gun." FYI a barrel in the HV contour will be just that.. HEAVY! I have a few MTU contour barreled rigs (MTU specs are very close to HV) and they are all around the 17lb. to 18lb. mark fully equipped. With that said, that is just way too heavy for a rifle that will be used for hunting in my opinion & I'm 6'1" 200lbs with an athletic build. Now, depending on the type of stock and accessories you may equip the rifle with, you may shed a few lbs. of weight from the rifle but not nearly enough for one that will be carried around the woods all day or possibly fired from the unsupported standing position at game.

I am going to do the Rem Varmint contour at 22". HS Precision stock.. (very light, Idk what model) PTG DBM, Karsten cheek rest and stock pack, Harris 3-6 bipod, and SWFA 3-15 scope. I am hoping it comes in at 10#
Does that sound doable?

My 06 with H-S stock, cant recall model, it works very well, will shoot 5/8th moa all day long shooting 3 shot groups.
XNctWqO.jpg

That is the same stock I have I do believe. I was throwing on the cheek rest and stock pack to help balance out the heavier barrel

I use Bartlein #3's on all my hunting rifles including a 7MM Mag and a 300WM - they all shoot great with no issues.

Like several have said above, a Bartlein #3 is equal to other Barrel Mfg's ( Krieger, Brux, etc...) #4 contour. I use the Vais Microbrake on them & have them turned down to match the barrel contour perfectly.