• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein #8 Light Varmint vs #11 Medium Plama for NRL hunter

beetroot

Old Salt
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
I'm not actually looking to compete in NRL hunter but the folks that do dable is this probably are the most up to date with barrel profiles.
Research suggests the Marksman contour is the heaviest guys are going for in NRL Heavy class.

I'm planning to rebarrel my 223 and the comps I shoot in have just introduced a 15lb limit for the class I intended to shoot this rifle in.
The rifle will likely wear a KRG Bravo stock which isn't overly heavy but does take a bit to balance out due to being rear heavy.

I'm wanting to get a Bartlein blank but as I'm not in the USA I am limited to what options I have access too, I'd more or less decided that a 26" Medium Plama barrel was about right to balance my rifle and still give me about 2lbs to spare balancing the rifle.
Unfortunately it looks like the only barrel profile in a 1:7 22cal in a Light Varmint which I'm concerned will be too close to my weight limit and at 26" might be end up being muzzle heavy.

The rifle as set up balances well with my Tikka CTR 24" barrel + suppressor which is about 5.3lb, I'm guestimating the Light Varmint Bartlein will be 6.5lbs which gives me an overall weight of 14-15lb depending on scope, which doesn't leave my room for additional weights to balance out the rifle.

I guess I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with the Light Varmint contour and what their rifle ended up weighting?

Those are 2 very different contours. If the balance you want is similar to what is considered normal in PRS (sits on a bag well, so balance is in front of the magwell), then I would stay away from the Light Varmint. There's alot of steel tight to the action that won't really help with balance.

The med palma would be a good choice and definitely gives you a bit of breathing room to add some weight for balance within your 15lb limit. If memory serves right, its a little bit heavier than a CTR profile.

If you're really concerned on balance, don't neglect looking at shedding weight from the rear of the rifle. 6 oz out of the buttstock can make a world of difference in feel and balance.

Those are 2 very different contours. If the balance you want is similar to what is considered normal in PRS (sits on a bag well, so balance is in front of the magwell), then I would stay away from the Light Varmint. There's alot of steel tight to the action that won't really help with balance.

The med palma would be a good choice and definitely gives you a bit of breathing room to add some weight for balance within your 15lb limit. If memory serves right, its a little bit heavier than a CTR profile.

If you're really concerned on balance, don't neglect looking at shedding weight from the rear of the rifle. 6 oz out of the buttstock can make a world of difference in feel and balance.
Yes the Light Varmint is definitely heavier than I’d like for this weight limit, but it’s the only option for the barrel twist I need.

CTR profile is similar to Light Palma, so Medium Palma is probably going to balance pretty well.
Short of drilling some holes in the Bravo rear end I can’t loose any weight out of the rear.

Light Palma is as close as you will get to the CTR profile. Standard Sendero/Rem Varmint would be fine as well.

You can always play with length if you’re that worried about it, or maybe add some weight to the front via Arca rail/forend attachment.

Light Palma is as close as you will get to the CTR profile. Standard Sendero/Rem Varmint would be fine as well.

You can always play with length if you’re that worried about it, or maybe add some weight to the front via Arca rail/forend attachment.
I definitely want to go heavier than CTR profile.

I’m mostly wanting to know if a 26” Light Vamint will be too heavy for what I want to do.
If it balances perfectly with the Bravo, then I’ll be fine. If it ends up being way to much weight forward I wont have the weight budget to add the steel but spacers.

If I can find another supplier of 1:7 22cal Bartleins then I think I’d just go Medium Palma, Sendero or Marksman.
But as I want a Bartlein at the moment if looks like the Light Varmint is the only option I have available.

... Light Varmint is definitely heavier than I’d like for this weight limit, but it’s the only option for the barrel twist I need.
I have a 26-inch Bartlein "Remington Varmint" (5.5 profile) in 308 on my 700 in a KRG Bravo -- and it's front-heavy.

A Rem-Varmint profile in .223 even as short as 24-inches will help you a little toward balancing the gun, but 15 pounds with scope is going to be challenging. I don't know what a CTR profile is.

Shop around -- there are a number of guys who will have them in stock.

I have a 26-inch Bartlein "Remington Varmint" (5.5 profile) in 308 on my 700 in a KRG Bravo -- and it's front-heavy.

A Rem-Varmint profile in .223 even as short as 24-inches will help you a little toward balancing the gun, but 15 pounds with scope is going to be challenging. I don't know what a CTR profile is.

Shop around -- there are a number of guys who will have them in stock.
If that Rem Varmint profile is front heavy then the Light Varmint will definitely be front heavy.

Unfortunately I'm not in the USA, otherwise I'd just order a prefit.

I really wanted a Bartlein but may have to shop around and see what's available from the likes of Brux, Proof etc, definitely want a cut barrel though. The local barrel markers only do buttoned.

Either way sounds like Medium Palma is going to be the way to go.

Cheers all.

@beetroot, you could always purchase that light varmint barrel and considering your circumstance, have it turned down to the size and weight you are looking for. You will pay for the machining time but you won’t be compromising.

@beetroot, you could always purchase that light varmint barrel and considering your circumstance, have it turned down to the size and weight you are looking for. You will pay for the machining time but you won’t be compromising.
Yeah thats definitely an option I'd considered.

I'll talk to the importer and see of there are any other options available for cut barrels.

Yeah thats definitely an option I'd considered.

I'll talk to the importer and see of there are any other options available for cut barrels.
I couldn’t find any cut rifled blanks in 7mm in the States that were lighter than rem varmint. I finally found a Brux (cut rifled) in a #5 contour and went with it.

Reactions: beetroot