• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein Barrel Install quest !

gr8guns

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2019
Well gentleman, and all other pronoun people, I have a small snafu. I have an unused Bartlein new barrel for a CZ 457. I can't get the thing together. The shank is VERY Tight . Bartlein said to heat up the receiver, and put the barrel into the freezer. The problem is this: I want to be able to set the headspace for a tight lockup, but if I have to freeze the barrel and heat up the receiver, it is going to be a bear to take the barrel out to put shims to set the headspace. It has the barrel grub screw cuts. There is not a gun smith close to me to get this barrel and action put together correctly. I need a smith to get this barrel and receiver together correctly. I need some recommendations as to a decent smithy to do just one little job. I don't feel comfortable heating and freezing parts to get them to go together for a rimfire CZ...........as always, thanks for your kind support ! I have Fedex Hub near me.....and my local FFL has changed hands since the Feds confiscated the license. I can ship. I have contacted a guy that advertises on line, but I have never heard back from him.

A drop in barrel for a 457 should ‘drop in’. I’ve installed a couple Lilja’s without a problem. Sometimes the front magwell screw will interfere. Make sure there is no crude in the action.

No gun smith period ?
No millwright / machinist friends ?
No snipers hide friends ?

No Brown truck on your street?

Improvise, adapt and overcome.

If you have shims you should be able to measure, add the correct shims and assembly. A good heat gun on the receiver would be enough I’d think. Removing any little burrs you feel first of course.

Well, I removed burrs, I think with a little polishing and 400 sandpaper, it goes in slightly tighter than factory barrel, and I did find the front of the factory feed ramp setting up too high, thanks to the gent that mentioned the mag well screws. after loosening them, the feed ramp laid down, and the barrel finally went in there as it should. I think the barrel seats on the receiver shoulder ? Anyhow, now to see how she shoots. I am a little on the frantic side after seeing all the 457 builds in the ads.........Maybe I should have just gotten one of the 4000 dollar rifles.......My Lothar Walther barreled 457 shoots the lights out, I lucked up on that one. This is my second Bartlein build, family wanted the first one. Sometimes , someone has already found a snafu you have missed....(aka the magwell screws ) and can help a lot of frustrating time to figure something like that out. Thanks too all !!~!

Reactions: gkgeiger