• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein CF vs stainless barrels?

Thomasj1107

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2020
I’m doing a 6.5PRC build that will be used for elk hunting but I plan to use quite a bit at the range as well. I am trying to decide between a Bartlein #3B stainless or a #4 carbon fiber.

I’ve read on this and other forums that the CF barrels will heat up after X amount of shots and the mirage coming off the barrel will effect the sight picture in the scope. How does a stainless 3, 3B or 4 compare in a situation like that? Should it theoretically be more resistant to that?

I’m doing a 6.5PRC build that will be used for elk hunting but I plan to use quite a bit at the range as well. I am trying to decide between a Bartlein #3B stainless or a #4 carbon fiber.

I’ve read on this and other forums that the CF barrels will heat up after X amount of shots and the mirage coming off the barrel will effect the sight picture in the scope. How does a stainless 3, 3B or 4 compare in a situation like that? Should it theoretically be more resistant to that?

I haven't compared a CF barrel to a #3 type barrel but knowing the steel contours of both I'll say they will heat up about the same to maybe the all steel will heat up a little slower. I've only compared the all steel M40 contour to a CF contour at the range at the same time. The cf we are using on the cf barrels I will say it wicks the heat faster. Back in Feb we we're doing some testing and it was 17F outside. After about 7-9 rounds thru the 6.5CM barrel there was so much mirage coming off the barrel it played hell with the sight picture thru the scope.

Does that answer your question?

Later, Frank

I haven't compared a CF barrel to a #3 type barrel but knowing the steel contours of both I'll say they will heat up about the same to maybe the all steel will heat up a little slower. I've only compared the all steel M40 contour to a CF contour at the range at the same time. The cf we are using on the cf barrels I will say it wicks the heat faster. Back in Feb we we're doing some testing and it was 17F outside. After about 7-9 rounds thru the 6.5CM barrel there was so much mirage coming off the barrel it played hell with the sight picture thru the scope.

Does that answer your question?

Later, Frank

Yes it does to some extent. So you think if I plan to do any matches with 10-12 round stages that I will have mirage issues with the CF, and would be better off with a 3B?

As of right now me personally wouldn't run it in a match type gun unless you have some sort of weight issue. If I did I'd have some sort of mirage shield on the barrel like we do in F class shooting. For longer strings of fire regardless of the temperature outside and I'm doing accuracy work I put a mirage shield on the cf barrel so it doesn't mess with me.

On a normal temperature day a 10-12 shot string I don't think would be a problem. Shooting 20 rounds in a string could be a different story.

From what your telling me I'd go 3b contour and save your money on the cf unless you think it's totally cool and you can't live with out it per say. My .02.

Anything else let me know.

Later, Frank

If it was strictly an elk rifle, carbon fiber would be the way to go though right? Only should need 1-2 rounds depending on placement and mirage wouldn't come into play till after 6 or so in quick succession?

As of right now me personally wouldn't run it in a match type gun unless you have some sort of weight issue. If I did I'd have some sort of mirage shield on the barrel like we do in F class shooting. For longer strings of fire regardless of the temperature outside and I'm doing accuracy work I put a mirage shield on the cf barrel so it doesn't mess with me.

On a normal temperature day a 10-12 shot string I don't think would be a problem. Shooting 20 rounds in a string could be a different story.

From what your telling me I'd go 3b contour and save your money on the cf unless you think it's totally cool and you can't live with out it per say. My .02.

Anything else let me know.

Later, Frank

Thanks for the insight! Now going with the 3B, I plan to have it spiral fluted because I like the aesthetic. Will it make much of a difference going 22” or 24”? And is there any way I can estimate the weight of those two lengths?

If it was strictly an elk rifle, carbon fiber would be the way to go though right? Only should need 1-2 rounds depending on placement and mirage wouldn't come into play till after 6 or so in quick succession?

Yeah if I was only going to use it to hunt and not shoot it much otherwise I’d definitely go CF

I agree but he also mentioned about playing around with it in some rifle matches unless I miss read that one post.

I agree but he also mentioned about playing around with it in some rifle matches unless I miss read that one post.

Any advice on this?
Now going with the 3B, I plan to have it spiral fluted because I like the aesthetic. Will it make much of a difference going 22” or 24”? And is there any way I can estimate the weight of those two lengths?