• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein CZ455/457 Barrel Testing/Review

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    The custom 22lr barrel for my CZ 455 is finally done. Big THANK YOU to Frank @ Bartlein barrels for donating this barrel and continuing to support the SH community!! Every review or testing the SH community wants to see, Frank is always quick to say no problem Ill get a barrel out to you. So again, a big thank you to Frank/Bartlein.

Bartlein offers these cut rifled 22LR 0.900" CZ455 and CZ457 barrels for $425.00.

Frank already sent me one of their drop-in/Semi custom CZ 455/457 barrels back in the beginning of this year which I tested in a few different CZ455 review threads posted. This barrel uses a Bentz chamber. In my testing, that barrel shot great once you found the right ammo. It really loved RWS R50.

This second barrel, I sent Bartlein my CZ 455 action and asked Frank to custom fit a 20", 0.900 straight blank to my action. What makes this barrel/test different from the first one is I sent him my own custom 22lr reamer and requested headspace to be set @ 0.041.

I had the reamer custom made by Manson with the help of Don @djdilliodon. Reamer was made to the specs of Don's reamer he used on his custom barrels. Don was nice enough to give me all the specs and give the final reamer print from Manson a look over before giving Manson the ok to proceed. This Bartlein is the first barrel cut with this reamer.

Frank emailed me yesterday and said the barrel is finally done and everything would ship back to me today. Stay tuned for pictures and test results. Initially Ill get a few hundred rounds down the barrel and find what ammo it likes the best. Then will do some 5x5 @ 50yds and 100yds. Then will shoot steel @ 200, 300 and 400yds.

Looking forward to getting this thing to the range and start testing.

Test Setup

MDT ACC folding Chassis w/buttstock and forend weights
    Area419 30moa rail
    Bscar Trigger
    Athlong Cronus BTR
    Seekins PMR 34MM
    Bipod and Rear Bag

Ammo for Testing

CCI Standard Velocity
    Eley Tennex
    Federal Gold Medal Match
    Federal Ultramatch
    Lapua Center-X
    Lapua Pistol King
    Lapua Polar Biathlon
    RWS R50
    RWS Rifle Match
    SK Rifle +
    SK Standard +
    SK Pistol Match
    SK Pistol Match Special

Can't wait to see your results.

BTW any reason for the longer barrel?

Can't wait to see your results.

BTW any reason for the longer barrel?

Only reason I had this one finished at 20" instead of my typical length of 18" is to clear the forend of the MDT ACC 455 chassis. 18" barrels dont clear the end of the forend. Thats the only reason

Only reason I had this one finished at 20" instead of my typical length of 18" is to clear the forend of the MDT ACC 455 chassis. 18" barrels dont clear the end of the forend. Thats the only reason

Ahhh gotcha. That makes a lot of sense. Too bad they don’t make their LSS gen 2 with a handguard that is longer ;)
    Are you going to glue the barre in or just use the grub screws?

Ahhh gotcha. That makes a lot of sense. Too bad they don’t make their LSS gen 2 with a handguard that is longer ;)
    Are you going to glue the barre in or just use the grub screws?

I had them NOT cut the grub screw slots on the barrel tenon. This will be 100% glued in just like my custom Keystone GM barrel.

@padom $425 all in for the custom job? that's a pretty good deal

No, $425 for their cut rifled semi-custom drop in barrel with Bentz chamber, muzzle threads and max length of 24". No custom at this very moment. Maybe that will change after testing but not at this time. Their CZ 455/457 barrels have been a hot item since release earlier this year and they cant keep them on the shelf. Talking to Frank this week, they sell out of every run before the run is even done.

If you want to go full on custom fit you will have to buy a 22lr blank and have a gunsmith fit and chamber, or wait till I do another Group Buy which is probably 2months out.

Fedex delivered the custom 22LR barrel from Bartlein along with my action and custom reamer back.

Fit and finish is top notch. They fit the tenon to the action perfectly. Its just barely not a press fit. As tight as it gets without being a press fit. No grub screw cuts in the tenon, just a nice round tenon. I cleaned everything up, removed any oil and glued the barrel into the action with 609. Will leave it sit till tomorrow then install it in the MDT ACC 455. Hope to get some rounds through it Monday afternoon. Otherwise wont be till the following week as Im heading out of town Tuesday till Saturday.

Reactions: IHFarmer07
    Fedex delivered the custom 22LR barrel from Bartlein along with my action and custom reamer back.

Fit and finish is top notch. They fit the tenon to the action perfectly. Its just barely not a press fit. As tight as it gets without being a press fit. No grub screw cuts in the tenon, just a nice round tenon. I cleaned everything up, removed any oil and glued the barrel into the action with 609. Will leave it sit till tomorrow then install it in the MDT ACC 455. Hope to get some rounds through it Monday afternoon. Otherwise wont be till the following week as Im heading out of town Tuesday till Saturday.

CURE IT VERTICALLY!!

Lol.. I've done a few..that pic is right after install.;)
    Good. Then you know to cure it vertically.

Others do not, and keep in mind people’s perception of you being an expert, in this little pond. People do what they see the expert do.

Instruct carefully.

;)

Interested to see how this turns out. Might want to replace the barrel on my Tikka once I get it. I’ve got some SK+, Norma Match, and Gemtech I can send you to test if you want.

Interested to see how this turns out. Might want to replace the barrel on my Tikka once I get it. I’ve got some SK+, Norma Match, and Gemtech I can send you to test if you want.

I've got all of that already but thanks. Ammo being tested through this barrel is listed in my first post.

Yeah I saw that, just seeing if you wanted additional.

Gotta draw the line somewhere. I have to many reviews to do or I could be testing 22lr ammo and lots for months. I have a metric shit ton. It comes down to Tennex, CenterX, SK RM and RWS as most consistently accurate on all the 22lr barrels I've tested. I'm shooting out to 400 and 500yds.

Reactions: D_TROS
    Very nice. The farthest I’ve shot my 455 factory barrel is 300 with SK+. It left a lot to be desired but I didn’t expect it to be great.

I hope that .041" headspace works out for you. I'd imagine that bolt handle will be pretty tough to turn down.

I hope that .041" headspace works out for you. I'd imagine that bolt handle will be pretty tough to turn down.

I have one of the group buy barrels with the .041" headspace. No issues with the bolt handle regardless of ammo rim thickness. I've had zero complaints with that barrel and I'm real interested in seeing the test results for the Bartlein.

Reason I mention that is I have been playing with headspace on my IBI barrel for my Tikka T1x. If I set it to close, on some ammo the bolt is hard to lock down. I guess the 457 bolt design may have more cam force than the Tikka.

Reactions: M_R_Woodard
    Reason I mention that is I have been playing with headspace on my IBI barrel for my Tikka T1x. If I set it to close, on some ammo the bolt is hard to lock down. I guess the 457 bolt design may have more cam force than the Tikka.

Your playing with headspace? Or your actually measuring correct headspace and setting it?? 0.41" is a pretty standard headspace for a 22lr match chamber Im told from a few smiths that have done a ton of 22lr bolt gun barrels. 22lr headspace is set specifically to the ammo you are using. Whether it be Lapua, Eley, SK, etc.... Those numbers are generally in the 0.41 - 0.435 range based off my discussions with Don Smith.

There is nothing hard about closing the CZ 455/457 bolt with headspace set @ 0.41. It provides a very very slight push of the bullet into the lands just like you want with a match 22lr bolt gun. This also doesnt cause any issues ejecting an unfired round. Its not being pushed into the lands that much. Its just slightly engraving the bullet.

Ive had 4 barrels through my shop and I ran a 22lr CZ 455/457 group buy that consisted of 15 barrels shipped to SH customers all with a headspace of 0.41 custom fitted and set to each of their action and nobody has the issue you describe. Sounds like something specific to your setup or installation.

I measured using a feeler gauge.

Sorry for the comment, seems like it struck a nerve. When I read your post I was thinking to myself, "he glued that in and has no way to change the headspace if accuracy is not what he expects". That's when I made the comment that I hope it works out for you. Didn't mean it in a negative way, just communicating my thoughts. I also wasn't implying it was wrong.

I measured using a feeler gauge.

Sorry for the comment, seems like it struck a nerve. When I read your post I was thinking to myself, "he glued that in and has no way to change the headspace if accuracy is not what he expects". That's when I made the comment that I hope it works out for you. Didn't mean it in a negative way, just communicating my thoughts. I also wasn't implying it was wrong.

Didnt strike any nerve. I work in facts and experience. Stating the reasons this headspace number is used and why informs people instead of saying Id imagine your bolt handle is going to be really hard to close without actually having experience with the hardware in question. That kind of info can throw off or misinform people that dont have the experience.

If that hurts your feelings im sorry. Now, lets keep this review thread on track and keep it about the Bartlein barrel review.

Finally made it out to actually lay down some groups at 50yd and 100yd today. 60F, Cloudy, Light gusts here and there but overall the wind was calm.

I did get this new barrel out a week ago for the first time and put 365rd down the new barrel with no suppressor. Shot various types of match ammo @ 50yd and a few types at 100yds. It shot really well that first outing but I dont put much into accuracy with a new 22lr barrel until I have a minimum of 300rd down the barrel and I really starting gauging accuracy after I have 500rd down the barrel. Bartlein likes 500rd down there barrel before really looking at the barrels accuracy from my talks with Frank.

Everything was shot from the bench today with a Harris bipod and a rear bag. Only difference from my initial outing a week or so ago to today was I shot everything today with my QB Titanium 22lr suppressor.

No cleaning or anything between groups. Just switch ammo and keep on shooting.

50yd - See below spreadsheet for group sizes and AGG. Everything is shot from left to right. Not enough room to have group sizes on the target

#BrandGroup 1Group 2Group 3Group 4Group 5Group 6Group 7Group 8Aggregate
    1SK Rifle Match0.4950.2440.3970.3050.3900.3390.4340.2540.357
    2RWS R500.3570.4660.5470.3920.6800.1790.4360.4250.435
    3Lapua Center-X0.6200.6080.3570.3130.5260.6260.2870.3820.465
    4SK Standard +0.4290.5300.3360.8110.3330.6330.4040.5980.509
    5Federal Ultramatch0.1220.3310.3070.3200.4910.3100.3990.2820.320

100yd

Really impressed with how its shooting so far. SK Rifle Match is shooting great at both 50 and 100yd for the money. Great performance to cost ratio. Nice to find an inexpensive match ammo that is submoa. In this case right at .75moa @ 100yds. Ultramatch is hammering as well but much more expensive. Next up, Ill be taking it out to 200, 300 and 400yd.

Last edited:
    Big THANK YOU to Frank @ Bartlein barrels for donating this barrel and continuing to support the SH community!! Every review or testing the SH community wants to see, Frank is always quick to say no problem Ill get a barrel out to you. So again, a big thank you to Frank/Bartlein.

This is worth repeating. I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out, looking good so far.

Glad you got it up and running Dominic! Looks good to boot! Glad we could help out. Sorry it took so long. Had to make a reamer holder for your reamer etc...as the end wasn't standard like with the stuff we use.

The only thing your breaking in on any barrel for the most part is the throat. The nicer the reamer cuts the throat the faster it will polish per say and break in. I've had RF barrels on Win. 52 that would shoot 5/8" group at a 114 yards first time out and only 30 rounds on the barrel. I used a reamer I spec'd for those guns and call it .22 Bartlein. It has a tighter throat and some different chamber dimensions.

One of the guys in the shop has built like 3 or 4 different RF bench guns for himself and a couple of friends with that reamer and shoots RF benchrest at a couple of local clubs here. Shot a .060" group at 50 yards with his rifle just a month ago.

It's been mentioned in the past that some RF barrels could take as much as a 1k rounds before the throat is broken in.

In the RF game ammo is a big deal also.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Went to test some 6BR load and brought this Bartlein 22lr with me. Super windy day at the range. Wasnt sure how it was going to perform and almost didnt pull it out it was so gusty out but said what the hell. 12mph left to right sustained wind with frequent 20-25mph gusts.

When the wind was consistently 12mph left to right this thing just hammered on the 300yd 8" plate and 400yd 6" plates.

Was shooting Federal Ultramatch it was shooting great, especially with the conditions. Didnt test any other ammo today.

Quick little video from the 300yd targets showing how windy it was out there.

300yd - 8" round plate - 12.6mil elevation - holding 0.6 - 1.0 mil depending on wind

I was very happy with these results and didnt expect to be this consistent with the wind blowing as hard as it was.

400yd - 6" round plate - 21.5mil elevation - holding 1.2 mil wind

This was my last 5 shots before packing up. Just missed the first 2 shots off the right edge holding 1 mile center of plate. After missing the first 2, I changed my hold to 1mil on the reticle on left edge of plate and made these next 3 hits. Was very very happy with this result in this wind. This barrel is a hammer! 0.66moa @ 400yds with a 22LR in that wind is amazing! Its a winner for sure @Frank Green

Last edited: