• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein vs. Proof Research pound for pound?

Potss

Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Wife wants a light but accurate AR, so I will be building one shortly. The question is, should I get a Proof Research 16in barrel at 25.6oz (I believe) or have Craddock or CLE spin me up a 16in Bartlein that weighs about the same? In other words, which will be more accurate at around 25oz? Which will be less vulnerable to heat shift/spread?

I am well aware that the Proof is $300ish more, but this isn't about value, it is about peak performance.

So which would you get and why? And if it is the Bartlein, which contour would you choose?

EDIT: AR is small frame, and in 5.56/.223. Might SBR, but do a lot of state line crossing so it wouldn't be ideal. Will be used as a suppressor host.

I know a JP barrel is not part of your OP, but they do offer a 20oz 16'' ultralight barrel.

Large frame or small? Caliber? If you want anything in time to hunt with it this season, without sacrificing performance, would add Lilja to the list. I have a light profile 18" JP 6.5 Grendel and an AR319 Lilja that both shoot very well. Light, accurate and small frame, and fully capable deer guns. Have a 20" Bartlein Grendel that may be most accurate of all my ARs. Also have both Craddock and Lilja 6.5 Creedmoor. A bit heavy for sneaking around in the brush, but great if stand hunting.

Other direction could go 223/5.56 with a Barnes TTSX or TSX in a truly light small frame and be good to 250-300yds, with proper shot placement. Some of all the above depends on your loading resources, and if you have them, the Grendel could be an excellent choice, with many bullet options.

Small frame, current plan is 5.56/.223. Doesn't need to be done in time for this hunting season (have a light bolt gun for that).

I don't mind recommendations for other barrels, but the idea is this is a no budget "what will yield the best accuracy and heating characteristics" lightweight barrel. Since Bartlein is generally considered the most accurate barrel you can get for an AR and they claim the least imperfections and stress (which cause shift under heat) I figured it would be the best candidate for a light or even pencil contour barrel. But I have no evidence for this. Just like I have no evidence it would be better or worse than the more expensive Proof barrel, hence me asking here.

I'd also consider JP, Lilja, Krieger etc, if folks have xp with their light (~26oz &>) contour please post up :).

Last edited:
I would look at a BSF Carbon sleeved. Phenomenal accuracy (majority of the time 1/2 Moa or better) and they are fairly light.

For absolute accuracy on an AR the barrel is a big part but not the only part. A lot of other factors go into an absolute accuracy AR such as matching bolt, gas tube alignment, and depending on what upper/lower you run if you need to accurize it. Check the BSF's out.

Pusher591, the BSFs do look interesting, I'd love to see a comparison with Proof (or just testing in general) before I plunk down that kind of cash though.

bobby bob, that is exactly right, the lightweight part is the rub. I can find a plethora of accuracy comparisons and tests for almost all of those companies' heavy barrels, but none for lightweight ones. This build doesn't need to be 1/2moa, nor do I expect it to be, especially under a higher rate of fire. BUT I do want to keep it under 1moa with a reasonable cadence of fire if I can. Any reason why you aren't a fan of Proof?

If anyone has seen testing on lighter contours (even in bolt guns) for any of the aforementioned barrels, I've be every interest. Same with Proof AR15 barrels, or any other carbon fiber barrel.

I built a 6 creed hunting rifle for this season with a Proof carbon barrel. Perhaps best shooting barrel i have ever owned. I will be purchasing more Proof barrels over time for hunting and gas gun applications. Looking to buy one for JP 6 creed gas gun when available. I probably will stick with Bartlein on tactical rifles.

Reactions: deersniper
I'm a Bartlein guy. I've got them in 223 AR15, two 6.5cm AR10 in rifle and +2 gas, 10+ bolt gun barrels. I've yet to have a Bartlein that didn't shoot, cleans easy and had excellent shot to shot consistent velocity numbers.. I'm biased

Padom you do a lot of excellent barrel testing, what are your thoughts on a lighter weight (26oz<) 16in Bartlein? Do you have any reason to believe it would be better or worse than any other 416R pencil barrel when it comes to accuracy and heat stringing?

I have zero experience or recommendations I can provide to you for pencil/ultra light weight barrels as I dont buy them. I can say my 16" WOA barrel is plenty light and highly accurate. Consistent accuracy over long strings of fire and pencil thin barrels just dont go to getter. If it was me the lightest I would go is a 16" Bartlein Recon barrel weighing 32oz or something like a 16" Rainier Ultramatch weighing 31oz.... To me ultra light weight, and sustained accuracy over long strings of fire dont go together..

I have tried many brands of barrel on the AR. Most of the big names. Weight is another issue and I will not address it. I shoot every one to 800 meters in the 5.56 cal. Worn out many barrels in the process.

Some makers of AR barrels are uniformly slow. Some are fast. Need to consider that as well. The difference can be as much as 150 FPS apples to apples. Not naming names here.

The most accurate barrels I have shot have been Les Baer and of all things, Douglass. Opposite ends of the price spectrum but both at the top of the accuracy pile. YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: bobke
As said above the best barrel your gonna get for your money is the JP Ultralight barrel, since this is for your Ball and Chain, I wouldn't invest to much into it, unless it's really for you, and your just telling her it's for her..... In that case we've all done that before...lol

Also don't forget if you get the JP Ultralight 14.5" or 16" you can get the heat sink installed as well which will keep that Barrel chamber cool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation bigjake83, it is actually for her and she is actually a good enough shot to justify the cost haha. That said of course I'll be using it part time as well.

The JP Ultralights do look very interesting as they are specifically designed for pencil duty, as opposed to me just having a smith turn a Bartlien WAY down. Has anyone seen any testing with these? I'd be interested to know their accuracy potential and how much they shift under heat.

rth1800, can you buy Les Baer barrels without buying an upper? I thought that wasn't a possibility.

Padom, I hear you on the long strings of fire part. I'm not expecting to mag dump and not suffer some shift or growth, I just don't want it to open up mid-10 round group test, etc.

Thanks for the recommendation bigjake83, it is actually for her and she is actually a good enough shot to justify the cost haha. That said of course I'll be using it part time as well.

The JP Ultralights do look very interesting as they are specifically designed for pencil duty, as opposed to me just having a smith turn a Bartlien WAY down. Has anyone seen any testing with these? I'd be interested to know their accuracy potential and how much they shift under heat.

rth1800, can you buy Les Baer barrels without buying an upper? I thought that wasn't a possibility.

Padom, I hear you on the long strings of fire part. I'm not expecting to mag dump and not suffer some shift or growth, I just don't want it to open up mid-10 round group test, etc.

The ultra light barrels maintain the same accuracy is there medium-weight barrels just not as consistent, if you're shooting for groups after about 10 to 15 round you have to let it cool down.

Yes Les Baer sells barrels individually but they are all heavy to medium heavy profile and they have a four to six month wait.

​​​​​​

Attachments

• photo70920.jpg
    photo70920.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I've built several lightweight precision rigs based on the PROOF Research 14.5" CFW barrels with 1x7 twist and Wylde chamber. They never disappoint in the accuracy department.

IMG_6397.jpg

IMG_6442.jpg

As much as I like Bartlein barrels from Craddock Precision, I'd want more weight in it than the 26 ounces a PROOF CFW barrel weighs.

You may be surprised to hear that the Noveske 14.5" CHF barrels at 20.5 ounces will shoot sub-MOA, hold up to a lot of abuse, and cost quite a bit less than either the Bartlein or the PROOF barrels.

IMG_6078.jpg

IMG_6497.jpg

IMG_6085.jpg

The above three rifles all weigh in around five pounds.

I have a JP 14.5 Ultralight. It shoots 1.25 to 1.5 MOA with match ammo and with Wolf gold it shoots about 4 MOA. I know several people with the Proof barrels and they are just over MOA with range fodder and 1/2 MOA with match good ammo. All are 3 guns rifles and do well heating up. If I had it to do over I would have gone with the Proof over the JP. The ultralight JP doesn't shoot near as well as the rest of JP's barrels.

I have a JP 14.5 Ultralight. It shoots 1.25 to 1.5 MOA with match ammo and with Wolf gold it shoots about 4 MOA. I know several people with the Proof barrels and they are just over MOA with range fodder and 1/2 MOA with match good ammo. All are 3 guns rifles and do well heating up. If I had it to do over I would have gone with the Proof over the JP. The ultralight JP doesn't shoot near as well as the rest of JP's barrels.

Good to know.
Anyone know when proof going to have a 6 creedmoor AR barrel

This is why I the hide, someone has always tried it first haha.

Thanks 1time, your feedback is invaluable. I cannot say I'm surprised, at that weight that is really what I expected from a normal steel barrel even from JP. Your advise and MSTN's have really got me thinking that Proof Research is the way to go here. This is one one of the few niches where their barrel's premium really makes sense to pay I guess, the <28oz but still want accuracy world.

Anyone else with experiences with any of the barrels mentioned ITT, please still feel free to post up!

Baer sells barrels at times. Need to call to see wait time. Sometimes in stock. No custom tapers but they can be turned with good result. I have done it on .204 and remained very accurate.

Anyone find a drop in quality when buying Bartlein barrels from third-parties like White Oak, etc. that work with Bartlein blanks, as opposed to the completed barrels directly from Bartlein?

Call up Compass Lake Engineering and get a Bartlien Mark 12 profile barrel in 18" 1-8 twist" non threaded. Muzzle devices often weight a TON. Get a titanium gas block, (mine was 1.3 ounces lighter than a steel one). Go to Smoke AR parts and get a carbon fiber hand guard. There. You now have almost the same weight as a 16" featherweight barrel but it will shoot fantastic, hold hot zero and give you better velocity and less blast. In fact I would ask 'em to make it 20" non threaded. A barrel is just not a good place to save weight on a precision AR.

No drop in quality from WOA or CLE, to say the least!

Light weight and carbon fiber just go together. I would get the carbon fiber Proof barrel and then look at the carbon fiber hand guard to go with it.