• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein wylde barrel.....5r or 4 groove

bbush

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
I was thinking about placing an order for a Bartlein barrel for an ar-15 accuracy build in 223 Wylde...should I go with the 5r or 4 groove in the 1:7.7 pattern rifling? If it helps, the length is going to be 20 inches, but I am debating on which rifling to go with. Has anyone seen any true difference between the two? I think one of the barrel companies, Kreiger maybe, claims no difference in accuracy but I am wondering if this has been anyone else's observations also.

Accuracy should be just about equal. The 5R vs. 4 groove has always been about velocity and barrel life. Never seen anything conclusive either way though, so really buy either.

Has anyone noticed a difference in barrel life between the two (4 groove or 5r)?

I have a 18" Bartlein 5R 1-7 and a 16' Krieger 1-7 4-groove, both are wylde chamber. Accuracy both are equal, only thing I do notice is that cleaning a 5R barrel is much easy to clean. I have Brrtlein 5R barrels in my bolt 308 and 260 and notice the same thing on cleaning the barrel.