• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

base and ring choices for 338

AVENGEUSA

Unapologetic American
Minuteman
I have the savage 338 LM HS precision rifle

I also have the leupold 8.5-25X50 FFP Extended range tactical, as well as the 8.5-25X50 LRT scope, but i believe the ERT has more elevation adjustment available, and am looking for a set of rings and a base

I would like to have a 1-200 yard zero but plan on shooting 2000+, so with a 40-45 moa base will i still be able to get down to a 1-200 yard zero and still go past 2k?

I appreciate all of your help

Re: base and ring chices for 338

I think 40MOA base is a-must for getting even near 2k. Not knowing your scope range can't guarantee your zero distance, but my Vortex Razor HD with about 120 MOA of total elevation adjustment range sits on a 40 MOA base and enjoys 100m zero. The less of the total elevation range your scope has - the father away your zero would have to be.

You can pre-compute your numbers by running your ammo through JBM and noticing how much drop (in MOA or MIL) you'll need vs how much your scope itself allows.

My guess s that you should be able to make it, assuming roughly half of 85 MOA being the center, and 40 MOA base pushing this center to almost the end of the range, but still leaving some pittance for zeroing there.

Again, I would go with a 40 MOA base. Actually, I already did.
grin.gif

crap!, i did some digging, and both scopes have only 70 moa of elevation!

the elr scope has a ffp, easier for ranging at any powwer, but the crosshairs would be too large at full zoom i do believe, they do get kind of thick, they both have the tmr reticle

this means i may as well stick with the less expensive scope.....

so i would need about a 35 moa base, which woul;d get me 70 moa available, or less for elevation

basically this limits the rig to 1800ish, i would have to use mils to determine aiming points for further distances

or i could get a 40 moa base and use the hold unders at closer rage

how much cant can or should a guy want in a base? 50 moa? whats the common cant or limit? i dont want to buy another scope

Get a 40 or 50 moa base and be done with it . Why do you need a 100 yard zero ? My 375 has a 40 moa and a sn3 and my zero is 690 yards. That gets me to 2100 without hold over.

I have a 30 moa base on mine with a nightforce nxs. I have a 100 yard zero with 5 more mils of up adjustment. I have the elevation to go to about 2700 yards, more using the lower lines on reticle.I'm at high altitude though. I'd opt for the 40 moa because I could still get a 100 yard zero with it.

Re: base and ring choices for 338

You can always use the reticle to stretch it out a little further. You can get Cameron Murphy at Murphy Precision to make you ANY slope you want with any height you want as well. He does GREAT work and is quick.

If you decide to go with more cant in you base try contacting Ken Farrel. He has ran off at least 3 base's for us for Remington la's with 60 moa of cant and they are built like a tank. " We have broke 2 other vendors base's so far. No trouble with Kens work at all so far. And they are very nice to deal with. If they give you a date on a custom order,they will meet it. Good Folks.

I use a ken ferrel 30 moa base. that thing is rock solid. 20x stronger than the base my savage 110 ba came with.

Yes Sir, I have to agree.
I work with metal for a living. I know what I can break easy,and what is built like a TANK. Farrel's stuff is made for work for sure.I have rails from almost all the big names and none compare to Farrel's work.

Just picked up a Razor HD what 35 mm rings did you use and do you like them? Im looking at the Razor HD rings they are made by seeker.