• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes base and ring height for 56mm scope

supersnake6

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2010
va
just sold my tasco 3-9x40 and rings that came on my savage 10fcp i bought from dicks. bases are gonna go to. im going to buy a millet 4-16x56mm scope, would love to have the 6-25x56mm but to much low end mag for deer hunting. im wanting the egw 1 piece base and burris xtr rings.with the full 22" bull barrel on my gun im unsure if i need the 0moa or 20moa base and the xtr low-1/4" med-1/2" high-3/4" xhigh-1" rings.im wanting (please hold the laughter) a hunting gun from 20-150yrds and be able to learn long range shooting out to possibly 600-800yds. this will mostly be for hunting but cant afford to have 2 seperate guns right now.i want the scope as close to the barrel as possible so i dont run out of adjustment.thanks in advance for any help or insite

Re: base and ring height for 56mm scope

My Nightforce scopes are 56mm. I use the EGW basic one piece 20 MOA base with Burris XTR low rings on my Remington Sendero that gives me less than 0.2" gap between the barrel and scope. Just saying bull barrel does not give much to go by. Knowing the exact measurements of your barrel would help.

Read the sticky on the top of this forum. WHat you need to do is measure the height of your rail above the barrel, and the outside diameter of your objective tube. For a 56mm objective, the outside diameter should be roughly 65mm or so. That is what it is on the nightforce 56mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supersnake6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just sold my tasco 3-9x40 and rings that came on my savage 10fcp i bought from dicks. bases are gonna go to. im going to buy a millet 4-16x56mm scope, would love to have the 6-25x56mm but to much low end mag for deer hunting. im wanting the egw 1 piece base and burris xtr rings.with the full 22" bull barrel on my gun im unsure if i need the 0moa or 20moa base and the xtr low-1/4" med-1/2" high-3/4" xhigh-1" rings.im wanting (please hold the laughter) a hunting gun from 20-150yrds and be able to learn long range shooting out to possibly 600-800yds. this will mostly be for hunting but cant afford to have 2 seperate guns right now.i want the scope as close to the barrel as possible so i dont run out of adjustment.thanks in advance for any help or insite </div></div>
Although you probably want to buy the base and rings together from the same place for expediency and to save on shipping, you need to do your own homework by learning how to measure for ring height yourself. It is easy to do, usually results in better fit, and eliminates reliance on other people's measurements.

Get the 20 MOA rail - better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. And if you develop enough skill and have a rifle accurate enough to group well at 1,000 yards you'll want a 20 MOA base anyway. Personally, if I wanted a one-piece base I would use a Seekins (aluminum) or Nightforce (steel) over an EGW, but those two do cost more. Better quality and finish comes at a price.

Read <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">palmik</span></span>'s excellent <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Ring Height Info - How to Measure Correctly</span></span> thread. It is a short and to-the-point tutorial on ring height measurement.

However, something that <span style="font-style: italic">palmik</span> did not mention is that there is no standardized method of measuring ring height. Some manufacturers' measure <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">from the top-of-the-base to the tube/ring centerline</span> (center of the scope tube)</span>. This is the most logical method because once you know the OAD (overall diameter) of the objective and the height of the front of the base (above the barrel) all you have to do is select a ring height that gives you proper clearance. <span style="font-style: italic">Examples</span> = Leupold (all), Seekins (all), USO (all), TPS (all).

Other manufacturers' measure <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">from the top-of-the-base to the bottom of the scope tube</span></span>. <span style="font-style: italic">This method requires an extra step - <span style="font-weight: bold">you have to add the distance between the bottom of the scope tube to the tube centerline to the manufacturer's specified height.</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Example:</span> You have a 30mm tube scope and the manufacturer's specification is .25000". Adding in the distance between the bottom-of the-tube to the tube centerline (15mm/.59055") yields an actual height to tube centerline of .84055" (probably rounded to .84000, or .840"). <span style="font-style: italic">Example</span> = Burris XTR.

So, always be sure of the ring manufacturer's method of ring height measurement before you buy rings. Some manufacturers' even measure their rings differently between different models of rings! Hope this helps.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30378</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Nightforce scopes are 56mm. I use the EGW basic one piece 20 MOA base with Burris XTR low rings on my Remington Sendero that gives me less than 0.2" gap between the barrel and scope. Just saying bull barrel does not give much to go by. Knowing the exact measurements of your barrel would help.</div></div>

The mid rings gives me about .5" on a 0MOA base. But the Burris rings are great. The mids will be just perfect when I swap out my barrel.

ok, i just measured the barrel- .870" muzzle and 1.035" where the barrel gose into the reciever. i do want to order everything at once and really have no way of measuring without the pieces.the egw base and burris rings have had good reveiws and with the scope will keep me in budget for now.ill have just below $900 (my stash) in the gun.i appreciate the help ,im not counting out the millet trs 4-16x50mm. maybe someone will have this set up and can help. just dont want to be sending pieces back and guessing. thanks once again.

For a 56mm objective, you'll need approximately 1.1" to 1.2" rings... typically. Sometimes you can get away with 1" rings and sometimes you actually need 1.3 or 1.4" rings due to the design of the rifle at hand or because you require that height for ergonomics. The only way to get the right size rings is to buy all the sizes and return the ones you don't need. BTW, the typical measurement is base to middle of ring. Anyone who says there's no standard is allowing no standard to exist -- that is the standard. That is the only logical method to measure the ring.

Unless you are shooting over 600 yards (even 800), a 20MOA base is absolutely unnecessary. In fact, for a hunting rifle, whatever scope you're buying that has a 56 mm objective is more than likely unnecessary. Anyway, a scope with a 56 mm objective is likely also a 34 or 35mm tube and unless you're buying a piece of garbge, you'll more than likely have enough elevation adjustment as a result to get at least to just over 800 yards.

Let's be clear, 95% of people never, ever shoot beyond 200 and 99% of people who say they are going to get into long distance shooting realize finding land to shoot that far without being arrested or shot yourself is either behind an lofty pay wall (aka, "rifle clubs"), hours and hours away, or simply non-existent. If you're lucky to live in the areas from Nevada up to Wyoming and have tons of land, please let me know when I can come visit.

EGW bases are fine. I have a high dollar Seekins Precision base on my Bergara and the only reason I spent the extra coin for it is because it has a recoil lug... and even that is stupidly unnecessary for a 6.5CM rifle. My Savage has an Weaver base -- it says Made in USA right on it and is excellent quality. The Seekins was $105 (I paid $60, but it's listed at $105 everywhere) and the Weaver cost me $20. They look identical. The finish is identical.

Spend the money on quality rings. The cheapest rings I've ever bought were SWFA. They required so much lapping not to crease my scope I should have thrown them away. After the lapping, they've been fine. But the finish on THOSE is an ultra flat scratch-prone black. They hold the scope fine and they always will... scope rings are not a complicated thing. They're almost all universally overpriced... no, universally rip offs. And you only REALLY need to worry about your scope rings if you have a magnum or you don't understand the concept of a torque wrench and loctite.

Happy shooting! :)

Reactions: DannyBoy