• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Base and Ring Install

TheJames

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2009
Arkansas
Just ordered a Nightforce tactical base and a set of Tally tactical rings for my remington 700. I've read a few wright-ups on installing a base and rings, but wanted to get some professional opinions. From what I understand, I need to apply some light oil to the bottom of the base, install the base and put some loctite on the screws for the base, and tighten them as tight as I can without stripping anything. Rings are pretty straightforward, but I was wondering about sanding the rings on the inside, and if I should use loctite on all of the screws for the rings too.

Re: Base and Ring Install

Don't use the red colored Loc-Tite. Use the blue. Use it sparingly.

If it's a mount with elevation built in, the thicker part of the mount goes to the rear of the rifle.

If you aren't going to lap or bed the rings, leave them alone. Unless you can rub your finger around the edges and find a burr. Then deburr it.

I don't put Loc-Tite on ring screws unless the scope is slipping.

But my rifles are mostly for match target shooting or hunting. I'm not jumping out of planes and stuff with them.

Someone else feel free to chime in.

Ok I got the base on today. The rings are a little higher than the "highs" I had on it, and the base is a good bit taller too. I was just wondering if the scope being so high up if it would really affect anything as far as accuracy goes. Here it is...

goodscope.jpg

Ideally, your scope does need to be closer to your barrel. Having the scope mounted so high interferes with proper cheek weld to the stock, since it causes you to raise your head up higher.

Base to receiver = 20 in/lbs
Rings to scope = 15 in/lbs
Rings to Base = 65 in/lbs

I use a FAT wrench to get real accurate torque #'s.

Well major disappointment for me... when I was installing the Talley rings, TWO screws broke in half while I was tightening them. I didn't get them tight at all and TWO just broke. Paid 150 bucks for rings and the damned screws break? WTF? Oh well. Last time I order from them. I'm going to go to lowes and get some replacements and actually use them still but they won't be getting any more of my money.

that sucks. was the thread pitch correct? the screws werent stripping the threads were they? when i got my savage, the coating that they used on the rifle got into the holes tapped for the base. i had to start them and back them out several times to clean out the holes. call talley, make them send you new screws

Buy once, cry once.

If someone recommended those rings to you, they must have been trying to clear out overstocks......

They will not affect your accuracy, other than the fact that being so high will affect your ability to shoot well.

I'll be calling them for sure. I didn't think about the powder coating, but wouldn't think that would allow screws to break in half. I know they won't affect accuracy, but I thought they'd be pretty durable, and hold better than some cheap rings.