• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Base and rings on rem 5R

Gilly

On Target
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2009
Coloarado
I hate to start a new thread as I am sure it has been covered I cannot find it however. What is the advantage to a one piece base instead of a two piece base setup? I am looking at mounting a scope on my new 5r 300 Win mag and dont want to go the wrong way and waste money. Lots of people seem to use badgar 20 MOA base and rings, pretty expensive setup. Just want to know if it is worth the extra money over the traditional sutup of luepold rings and bases that my hunting rifles have on them... This rifle will be used for targets any where out to 1000 yards and maybe some hunting on some occasions. Looking at probably opting for a NF or similar quality scope.

Re: Base and rings on rem 5R

Use the search function. Set the date range to "newer than one year". This has been asked/answered hundreds of times.

Seekins makes an excellent base and rings, and much less expensive than Badger. Check with Scott at Liberty Optics - he'll get you set up...

I look at it this way. You have a nice rifle to start with and are considering NF or simular quality glass right? Dont skimp on something as simple (or complicated) as base and rings, it just doesnt make much sense. If you shop around, hit the usual for sale boards. A base should be able to be had for a very reasonable amount. I know, retail on Badger is a bit much but there are plenty of places selling for a bit less. I don't see anything wrong with a quality 2 pc set-up either. Leupold Mk4 2 pc bases and matching rings are quite attractive to me especially for the money.

Gilly,

If you spent the money on a 5R 300WM, what is a few extra dollars on a nice set of rings and a mount. I personally like Badgers. There are several others you can look at also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What size rings would you choose for a 5R from seekins?</div></div>

That depends on the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">supersniper 10x </div></div>

on a 5R? That is alot of gun to be putting that on, IMO

I think Badger Mediums would work. Not sure if you would need a 20moa base with that scope though (I may be wrong)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just want to know if it is worth the extra money over the traditional sutup of luepold rings and bases that my hunting rifles have on them... This rifle will be used for targets any where out to 1000 yards and maybe some hunting on some occasions. Looking at probably opting for a NF or similar quality scope. </div></div>

If it's worth it, it only something you can answer. If you will be installing a Nightforce on your rifle why would you go substandard on rings?

I prefer Seekins rings on my rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">supersniper 10x </div></div>

I think Badger Mediums would work. Not sure if you would need a 20moa base with that scope though (I may be wrong) </div></div>Oh I agree, its defiantly temporary. I spent most of my "hobby" money on a LMT piston upper for a AR build. In time I will defiantly upgrade but wanted something to learn on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">supersniper 10x </div></div>

I think Badger Mediums would work. Not sure if you would need a 20moa base with that scope though (I may be wrong) </div></div>Oh I agree, its defiantly temporary. I spent most of my "hobby" money on a LMT piston upper for a AR build. In time I will defiantly upgrade but wanted something to learn on. </div></div>

ahhhh I hear ya! I was stuck in the same rut. We have pretty similar build going on... I pick up my LTR from my FFL here in a few hours (keep refreshing the tracking info, haha). I was going to go with something a bit cheaper but with the rifle and pistol I sold, I stuck within my "fund" and still got what I wanted.

Really you cannot go wrong going with either Triad or Scott at Liberty Optics if you wanted the Seekins... Scott is a hell of a guy and has gone out of his way to discuss and recommend stuff for my build. He has a customer for life here.

If you're not wedded to the idea of "designer" rings and bases, call EGW and order their Picatinny base (in the cant of your choice), then shop the various online vendors for a set of Burris XTR rings, 30mm, low.

The whole set up will cost a bit less than $100, and it won't give you any reason to cuss it.

Cheers... Jim

Thanks for the help guys. I picked up a badger 20MOA base on the fourm here this morning for a pretty good price. Will it require a gunsmith to change from the rem 700 holes for the 6-48 screws to the 8-40 with the badger or is it simple enough to do myself?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the help guys. I picked up a badger 20MOA base on the fourm here this morning for a pretty good price. Will it require a gunsmith to change from the rem 700 holes for the 6-48 screws to the 8-40 with the badger or is it simple enough to do myself? </div></div>

This is new to me (still learning)

Just picked up my LTR and I am going to be mounting a Badger 20MOA base... is the receiver tapped differently than what the Badgers mount with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will it require a gunsmith to change from the rem 700 holes for the 6-48 screws to the 8-40 with the badger or is it simple enough to do myself? </div></div>

I am sure you could do it with a drill press, vise, and the appropriate taps.....but if you don't already have all that on hand it's probably going to be cheaper to pay a 'smith to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will it require a gunsmith to change from the rem 700 holes for the 6-48 screws to the 8-40 with the badger or is it simple enough to do myself? </div></div>

I am sure you could do it with a drill press, vise, and the appropriate taps.....but if you don't already have all that on hand it's probably going to be cheaper to pay a 'smith to do it. </div></div>

Is this something I am going to have to have done on my LTR to mount my Badger Base?

welp, just spoke with a local gunsmith. Looks like my rifle is already headed back to Remington (see new thread here)

I mounted Leupold Mark 4 2-piece 20moa bases with Medium Mark 4 30mm rings and a Tasco SS10X on a Rem700 SPS-Tactical and everything worked fine. I got different suggestions from Leupold on ring height, so I just now decided to buy some High Mark 4 rings to see whether I get a little better clearance between the rear bell on the Tasco and the factory bolt handle on the Remington. The Mediums mount that scope as low as it'll go and still allow for the operation of the handle without any filing, etc., but I want to see if I can get a better grip on the bolt knob with the Highs.

No matter how much I searched and asked, it was still a trial and error thing since chances are you won't be using bases, rings, and the scope from the same manufacturer, and as I found out, the rear bell on the scope, adjustment ring, etc., make a big difference. I'll post a photo comparo of the Medium and High Leupold rings on that setup once I receive the Highs.

Good luck!