• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Base and rings?

blues2o

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Rifle is a 700 tactical,scope is a vortex viper gen 2 5x25x50. Looking for suggestions on mount or base and ring combo.budget 200 dollars or less and I like my scopes mounted as low as possible so height information would be appreciated

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JMGlasgow
Go to the PX and buy a used set of Badger rings for $100 and go on Area 419’s website and pick up a new R700 20MOA base for $100.

Don’t ever skimp on bases and rings. Without them, it doesn’t matter what glass or rifle you have.

You won’t regret going with these.

Other used/budget ones to look at would be a pair of NF rings and NF base.

Ring height info:

Reactions: Pvt.Donut
Remington 700 bases sit higher above the receiver than some others. You can run rings as low as .82” with a 50mm objective scope. If your base overhangs the recoil lug, check clearance with scope bell and base before torquing down. I usually cut off any of the rail that overhangs the recoil lug.

That seems like a good value. I have been using DNZ mounts on other rifles but not sure if one will work this time

I have a like new set of seekins low rings 30mm. Pm me OP if you are interested.

Can't go wrong with a Nightforce base. I hesitated buying one for years and after I did I have zero regrets and will definitely buy more.

As far as rings go, Seekins, Vortex, ARC, Steiner, TPS, Badger, etc. are all great choices. DO NOT buy vertically split rings like Warne. They're garbage and you will have issues with them.

Go to the PX and buy a used set of Badger rings for $100 and go on Area 419’s website and pick up a new R700 20MOA base for $100.

Don’t ever skimp on bases and rings. Without them, it doesn’t matter what glass or rifle you have.

You won’t regret going with these.

Other used/budget ones to look at would be a pair of NF rings and NF base.

Ring height info:

[/QUO

You can’t beat Area 419. Seekins rings are great too.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I have a 700 MLR and a Vortex 4-16 X 50 Gen1 scope, very close in all dimensions to what you have. I like to get the scope as low as possible because nearly every factory stock has to work with iron sights, so they are all too low when you mount any optic. Most of the setups I see are way too high in my opinion, you can't get your cheek solidly on the stock. That's not so bad with your 30-30 Winchester 94 but not for a tactical rifle.

I have the Leupold 2 piece Mk 4 base and medium height Burris Signature Zee rings. About as low as I can go without the bolt handle (I have an oversized bolt knob) hitting the eyepiece. If you have a standard bolt handle you can look at the Vortex low pro rings, they will get you lower. But of course the Burris rings leave your scope looking like new.

I am not a big fan of the huge 1 piece bases and monstrous tactical rings (I do have a few of the Burris Signature XTR rings) . Too much weight and height.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.