• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Base Bedding: Two Different Approaches

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I have a Howa action to which I am going to bed a Murphy Precision base (MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.). I need to do this since with rear screws tightened down, there is a .006" gap between the front part of the base and the action. I can either just bed the front, or do as Murphy says, the pertinent part shown below.

-----------------------

First, thoroughly clean the underside of your scope base, and upper surface of your rifle action with an acetone or alcohol soaked rag. Be careful not to touch these surfaces again with your bare hands. Then, apply a liberal coating of release agent or floor polish to the scope base mounting screws. (Failure to follow this step may result in stuck / impossible to remove scope base screws.).

Mix a small amount of epoxy bedding compound according to it's directions, then place all four scope base screws into the scope base to be bedded. Apply a thin layer of bedding compound to the underside of the scope base between and around all mounting screws. (Don't worry about applying too much, as any excess will be cleaned off later.)

Apply scope base with bedding compound to your rifle action, and begin tightening the center two screws until the base appears to be all the way down, and you can just feel the screws begin to tighten. Then tighten the outer two screws until they just make contact.
----------------------

The Murphy approach will most likely cause the base to be tilted down somewhat at the front, whereas just bedding the front will leave the front of the base higher. Which is preferred? Any other preferred approach? I worry about the screws getting stuck in the action holes.

Phil

[video=youtube;7v3Lebae-yo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v3Lebae-yo[/video]

This video will help you