• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Base change = change in dope?

Knife

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2004
Madison, AL
I have been shooting for a while now and finally upgraded my scope to a nightforce with 20 moa base and zeroed at 100 yds. With my old scope (nikon buckmaster 4.5-14)also zeroed at 100 yds, it took 8.5 moa to get to 500 yds. Now with my new setup it only took 6 moa. Around the same temp, humidity and handload(162 gr Amax 68.2 gr h1000 winchester brass). My question: Is this a result of changing out the scope and base or maybe something else I am not thinking of.

Re: Base change = change in dope?

It's more than likely that your Nikon did not adjust in the advertised adjustment. Your NF is probably accurate.

Cheers,

Doc

Like Doc said. It's more of a result of changing a scope that more than likely didn't track right to one that does. The 20 MOA base would only change where the scope is zeroed in it's internal adjustment and not what the adjustment is for the trajectory of the load you are shooting.

Of course you cna't go home again...baut if you could, you might find out that your 100 yard zero is just a bit different. A quarter inch difference at 100 yards coupled with a different scope height due to the different tubes and mounts, will make a big difference at 500 yards. Don't ask me how I know.

I thought about that but I didn't think the nikon would have been that much off but I guess it goes back to you get what you pay for.
Thanks guys for the responses.

So, lets get the input data correct.

A) the old arrangement had a Nikon scope on a flat base
B) the new arrangement has a NightForce scope on a sloped base

It is likely that the lead screws that the scopes use are different--and that is why dope is more important than ballistics programs.

It is also likely that the scope height above the bore has changed.

Time for a new dope book.