• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Base height?

robertg

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
Well, I ordered the Wotac. Now I need rings and want to get the right height Burris, either medium or low. But I am not sure of the height of my base. Is there any way to measure how high they are to see what MOA? Also, it is a 2 piece and it is marked L36 in the rear and L46 in the front. I want to make sure I get the right height rings so any help would be apprecaited. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Re: Base height?

Call Wotac and get the dimensions. Post them so the rest of us can file that for future reference.

Then do the math for the Burris rings. Their spec'd dimension from base top to ring bore bottom, plus half the diameter of the ring bore, will get you the base-top to ring-centerline dimension, which is key.

Compare that figure plus your base thickness, to the outside diameter of your scope's objective divided by two. Figure the barrel tapers, is a bit smaller diameter than the action, and you got some clearance there. Add in whatever add'l clearance you might want -- not too high now, or you'll have cheekweld issues (without an adjustable stock) and it'll look dumb.

Now go dig and cypher and report back.
smile.gif

Re: Base height?

Thanks for the reply, but my question was how can I tell how many MOA my base is if I have no idea what base it is and it is not marked. So, is there a way I could measure it and therefore tell if my base is 10MOA, 20 MOA, etc?