• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes base installation

lordt313

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
Louisville. KY
Is there a proper way to install a base? Should I lube the base screws? And should I lube in between the rifle and the base?

Any advice is appreciated.

-Taylor

Re: base installation

If the base and screws are cut right, they should all line up straight and you shouldnt need to lube anything. I have never used lock-tite on my base screws either.

The instructions you get should tell you exactly what to do. I have heard of bases that are off and it is difficult to line things up, but from what I have seen it is usually the gun that is not square. If your gun holes are not set straight and squared, you will tweak the gun and cause problems.

If your gun is squared, even lower priced bases, like EGW will fit your gun perfectly.

Good Luck,
Nate

a guy at a gun show once told me you should bed a base. I have never taken the advice cause sounded absurd to me but I guess I dont really know.

Bedding a one piece scope base is not absurb, it ensures that the rail is as flat as it can be, a simple check if its required is to torque to spec the front two screws, if there is a gap in the rear between the rail and receiver bedding the rail to the receiver might be a good idea.

I have always followed the Badger Ord instructions that Lindy posted above and they have worked well for me in the past.

Another step Badger should add to their instructions is;

Snug the two front screws and check for any separation under the rear base, then remove front screws, snug down both rear screws and check for any separation under front base.