• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Base mount screws too long - how can I cut them?

armorerr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Finally mounting up the Ken Farrell 20MOA base and putting the Falcon Menace on my Savage 110. I found lots of good advice here via the search and FAQ on leveling and everything, but I can't find any info on how to fix my issue, which is this:

When I torque the base mount screws, they bind the bolt. Loosening and removing the bolt, then torquing down one at a time reveals the rear two screws are a touch too long, the bolt will not go in when they are tightened down.

Ken's directions say this might be an issue, but I can't find any help on how to cut them down without damaging the threads. I have a dremel, grinding wheel, etc., but from experience, since I lack a die set or a nut in the correct size to fix the threads after cutting, I am hesitant to just start grinding down and hoping for the best.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Re: Base mount screws too long - how can I cut them?

dremel and cutting wheel.

That was my first thought - are you sure it won't bugger up the threads too much?

if you have a steady hand, you will be fine.

Wrap the screw in electrical tape and either put it into a vice and hit it with a file or hold it in a set of vice grips and rub it against a file.

Dremels are nice but if you only have 2 screws and no good way to hold them you can booger them pretty quick.

Sounds like you only need to take off a thread or two. The file is just fine for that.

Cheers,

Doc

I have put mine in a regular cordless drill...
chuck the bolt head in the drill chuck with the threaded end sticking out...
I lightly clamp the drill in my vise,
spin the screw and use a stationary file against the spinning screw. (like a mini lathe)
works well as long as you have the screw fairly centered and snug....
Andy

I would use a file; and putting the nut on first sounds like a great idea!

This may not pertain to your situation but I know that Remington screws are different lengths if you put the rear screws in the front holes it will bind your bolt. Just a thought

Thanks to all for the advice! The drill sounds like a good idea, I will remember that for next time. This time though, I simply used a metal file clamped in my vise and did it by hand. Slow and steady and I now have them in without a binding bolt!
smile.gif

I tried to find a nut to use as a back-off thread clean-up, but could not find one in this size at the local big box stores. I have done that in the past for automotive bolts with good success.

Thanks again to all for helping out a noob!

Put a nut on it, dremel cut it, then unscrew the nut to correct any threads that may have been damaged.

I do this all hte time on bolts for my R/C engines, controls etc and it works flawlessly.

If you just need to shave a lil bit off, use a file.

When I installed my USO base, the screws were over 1/8" too long. A HIDE member suggested wire cutters, and that worked ok, but I found the dremel to be easier. Just make the cut nice an straight, then bevel the edge after the cut and clean any burrs off. Threaded right in, worked like a charm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put a nut on it, dremel cut it, then unscrew the nut to correct any threads that may have been damaged.

I do this all hte time on bolts for my R/C engines, controls etc and it works flawlessly. </div></div>

+1...