• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes base or ring problem?

AWGunS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Ohio
I don't want to throw people under the bus, so lets say I have the following issue without naming names.

20MOA base of a reputable make. Slots measure .200 on the nose. I purchase a set of well known high quality rings. The lug that is supposed to fit the notch in the base measures .201-.202. Obviously, there is interference there.

My solution is to open up the rail by a couple thou', but I am curious as to where the problem lies. Rings or base?

Re: base or ring problem?

Looks like the rail slot is supposed to be .206 according to this http://biggerhammer.net/picatinny/

If you do open the rail slots up then make sure to open the rear of the slot which is the side closest to the shooter so the ring lug sits flush against the front of the rail slot.

Although they should be interchangeable in true picantinny systems... these problems are usually avoided by buying a base and rings from the same manufacturer and of the same metal composition.

I didn't really think I would have problems mating 2 major manufactures of bases and rings.

I did see the dimensions of the picatinny rail and it showed .206. The manufacture of the base states that their bases are 'Picatinny Mil. Std 1913 specification rail dimensions.' In this case though, it is not. I may make a call to the company out of curiousity to see what they say.

It took me all of two minutes and file to get the rings to fit nicely on the rail.

In the future, I'll purchase bases and rings together fom one manufacturer. Lesson learned.

B-