• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Base screw extraction

bdh308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2009
Paris,Tennessee
Well..I think Im in a small predicament...hopefully. Anyone ever have to use an extractor kit to remove your base rail screws. If so got any tips for a guy. I got a new rail coming and need to remove this one. I dont have a lathe but I do have an extractor bit and a drill.

What Ive done so far is use a little PBblaster and let it sit overnite and then came back with an allen head to remove. Basically rounded them out. As far as I remember I didnt use any lock tite on these screws so I think Im good on that. Really just wondered what everyone else has done for this procedure.

Re: Base screw extraction

Try some heat first.

Are the screws close enough to the surface to cut a screwdriver slot in them with a dremel?

If not, drill the heads out and remove the base. Heat and remove leftover shank.

If I read you correctly the base is still on the rifle. If so just drill the head of the screw with a drill larger than the screw size. As you reach the screw shank the head will pop off onto the drill. Without the head the screws will come out easily.

Thanks gentlemen. Its kinda comical. I think because I didnt bed the base that its got a lot of stress on it causing the base to be tight and bow possibly although I cant see it with the necked eye. Im pretty sure I didnt overly torque the screws down. Ill give Mr. Tooleys idea shot. Appreciate the help.