• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Base taper question

BirdmanOz

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2011
Hi All. Question for all the techies here. I've just bought a new rifle (DTA) in 308. It is flat top with zero moa built in. I am just deciding between 2 Larue QD mount options. One of the has no taper built in and the other has 30 moa built in. I want to be able to shoot the 308 between 100m and 1000m. My scope is a high end quality with 100 moa elevation travel (presumably 50 moa up and down).

I think a pretty standard to upper 175smk 308 will get to 1000m with about 45 MOA. so based on that the rifle scopes 50 moa should make it all the way up to 1000m. Is it bad to shoot with your scope at the very top of its elevation range. Does it effect optical quality in anyway?

The other think is that being a DtA I may want to swap calibre at some point to 300 win mag or 338 lapua. Will they also cope with a zero taper.

I've heard that 30moa taper can make it harder to shoot and zero at close range like 100m.

Basically Which should I go with?

Re: Base taper question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BirdmanOz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (1)Is it bad to shoot with your scope at the very top of its elevation range.
(2)Does it effect optical quality in anyway? </div></div>

(1) you have limited windage adjustment when you are at the mechanical elevation limitations of your optics.

(2) This has zero effect on optical quality.

Basically, its better to have additional elevation on tap and have the adjustment necessary to reach out.

Kirk R

What is the scope you are using? With my Vortex PST dialed close to the top of it's elevation, the top of the field of view starts to blur a little bit, and it's the same way when it reaches the bottom. However, it's not anything to worry about. It is very minimal, and it is hardly noticeable. I can't vouch for other optics though.

Saying that your 100m zero is perfectly in the middle of your 100MOA elevation, you should be good to 1000m, but I personally would go with the tapered base.

It's a march scope.

So am I right in saying that a 30moa taper will still allow 100 metre zero on a scope with 100 moa travel. In 308. Mount height on DTA is probably 4 to 5cm above bore at a guess. Close to 2 inches.

Yes, you will easily be able to get a zero at 100m with a 30 minute base and 100 minutes of scope elevation travel. When its all set up you should have about 15-20 minutes left to the bottom, and about 80 minutes up....which shooting a .308 I believe will give you capabilities out to 1400 yards or 1280 meters without having to hold over.