• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bases? EGW vs. Outerimpact

RichS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2001
PG County Maryland
So, now that I finally have my Howa mini in .223, I'm starting to get it set up. I'm looking at scope bases. Now for a .223, and living here in MD, I don't need any built in elevation. I've seen the EGW and a (new to me) Outerimpact. The Outerimpact certainly has the edge in price. However I'm very familiar with EGW and their quality. I see that the EGW uses 7075 and the OI uses 6061-T6. Any one better than the other?

Never heard of the other. Therefor I would go egw.
And a 20moa base won’t hurt anything and will only help should you ever get the opportunity to make use of it.

In theory 7071-T6 would be the better material but either would be fine.

A rail is a rail in my book, unless it's an aliexpress rail repackaged the non EGW would be fine.

I use the the MDT 20 MOA on my MINI. They are 70$ and have a recoil lug and are well made. I also like there 99$ Premier rings for budgetary builds.

When looking at both alloys in the -T6 condition (meaning solution heat-treated then artificially aged), several noticeable differences are observed. First off is that the tensile strength of 7075-T6 is nearly double that of 6061-T6. The shear strength of 7075-T6 is roughly 1.5 times that of 6061-T6. The former is substantially harder as well.

EGW is the way to go on this. Beside the fact that George is a great guy to deal with, he produces nothing but quality hardware. His lightened hammer and hard sear are my go-to for any 1911. I've been a customer of his since he was in Doylestown in the 90s.

I've put new custom barrels & stocks in five Howa Minis, from 20 Tactical to 6.5 Grendel, and have used both EGW & Warne 20 MOA sloped scope rails. No issues with either brand, although the EGW was considerably less money than the Warne, and extends a bit further forward of the receiver, and is a bit thicker between the front & rear base areas where the screws thread into the receiver. I've used EGW rails on a bunch of custom rifles built for myself and customers, and have not had a problem with any of them in over 20yrs of use.

As I said at AR15.com, get the known EGW. It will work and only about $20 more.