• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bases of 308 cases bottoms ripping off and case st

ccannon121

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
FT WORTH TX
After setting up my brand new Dillon RL550B for reloading 308 WIN, I am experiencing a problem with the case bottoms ripping of after I decap and size the case. I have the proper 308/3006 shell plate in the machine and have set the dies up per the RCBS instructions. The cases are cleaned and lubed. It seems like the case is sticking a bit during the resizing process. This happened three times in a row and I cannot figure out what is causing this to happen. Can anyone help me out with this?

Re: Bases of 308 cases bottoms ripping off and case st

If you are using Dillon carbide dies, you DO have to lube them even though they are carbide.

Yes they are dillon dies and i used wd40 is that a no-no?

WD 40 is mostly kerosine. Not a good lube at all. Not a very good preservative either. Mostly good for removing those sticky labels on glassware you get at Walmart. Go to the reloading section and review a recent thread on spray case lubes. Easy and cheap!

Are you full length resizing them each time?

I have about 500 or 600 BHA cases (Black Hills) that were run with 45.5gr of Varget and a 175 - kinda hot - and downloaded them but the first time I fired one and went to eject it I ripped thebottom off.

You can see the line on it and look inside the case- you'll know if it's going to rip or not.

I retired all of those cases for the same reason - the FL resizing puts a bit of wear on them but IMHO it's a necessity, ESPECIALLY if you have a tight chamber.

WD-40??

Yep you will stick a case every time with that. Go get some real resizing lube and your problem will go away. Better yet get an RCBS lube die, they work great in a progressive press.

Are they RCBS dies or are they Dillon dies? You said in the first post that you set them up according to RCBS instructions....

WD40 is not going to cut it I don't care what dies he is using.

Get the proper case lube, follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

My FIL worked for American Airlines back in the 70's & 80's. FAA made them turn in their cans of WD40. The stuff was not allowed in the hangar. Apparently it had been linked directly to premature aluminum failure as the result of inadequate or insufficient lubrication.

John

All excellent advise above. I would only add the following.

When it comes to .308, I always ask Bolt or auto?

- If it is an auto, you should use a full resizing die.

- If it is a bolt and you have fired the round already within that very same rifle, I would resize the neck alone. In other words, do not do a full resizing. Why? Well your brass will last much longer. I sometimes do a full resizing every 6 or 8 uses..all the rest are neck sized only.

Check OAL (Over All Length) as required.

Lastly, WD40. As mentioned above, set it aside for almost all things firearm related. It is a poor preservative, a poorer lubricant and, as stated above, may have destructive qualities on some metals. So what to use? For reloading, use only reloading lubes. Equally important is how you lube for die work, it takes VERY little, many use a lube matt and you should too.

For all else? There are many fine products, but having cared for weapons in adverse environments for a long time, I would recommend a short list:

TriFlo, Break Free CLP, Break Free LP, Sheath, Eezox

There are others, but these have worked for me.

ok wd40 is in trash i took the advise of someone else and it has obviously backfire on me. Thanks for the help any other advice would be appreciated

also should i take apart and clean the die and machine because of the WD?

You never did answer the 2nd post. How many reloads have these been through. I am having the same issue, but this brass is pretty much on its last load. I FL resize each time and you can see that the brass on the bottom is getting stretched thin.

Re: Bases of 308 cases bottoms ripping off and cas

You might think about purchasing a reloading manual............. Read the section on "reloading".

Unless you have damaged the inside of the sizing die, just clean everything and dry. Start everything using a good heavy base lube. For bolt rifles I use Imperior Sizing Die Wax, now Redding. For progressive work I use the Dillon alcohol based pump spray.

After sizing use a clean cloth with some lighter fluid and wipe the sizing lube off.

Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual has more usable information than any 3 others. They aren't trying to sell you bullets or powder.

Read everything you can on the subject.

Tell your friend that told you to try WD-40 he doesn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground.

The brass is once fired.
Thanks for the help with everything guys!!
Will get to reading all i can.

criver i will checkout the "reloading" section thanks for the terrific advice and sarcasm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccannon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... criver i will checkout the "reloading" section thanks for the terrific advice and sarcasm. </div></div>

He means well. Really he does. But he's right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Start everything using a good heavy base lube. For bolt rifles I use Imperior Sizing Die Wax, now Redding. For progressive work I use the Dillon alcohol based pump spray. </div></div>

Both of these are good stuff. I use Imperial for necking down to a different caliber or other major sizing, a little goes a long way. Everything else gets sprayed with Dillon lube.

Try using PAM or other spray vegetable oil. I just use a couple squirts in a bowl of 100+ .308 cases, shake em around, and use them without issue. I vibe the finished rounds for 30-45mins when done.

PAM cooking spray??

I guess the huge savings of $1.90 over Hornady One Shot justifies it...

If you use PAM...make sure it is the one without salt. Ruin your dies that way. And...since you already have the WD 40, it will clean the inside of your dies pretty well. Then, throw the can away. JMHO

Yeah I had the same thing happen when I was resizing some .223's with a dillon die set. Bought a new set of dies and sent the one with the stuck case back to dillon (it was really stuck). Tried again and same thing with the new die set.

I had just changed lubes from RCBS to Hornady (what I thought was on-shot case lube). Ended up being One-shot gun lube ....not even close to the same. My own ignorance.

Moral of the story, use a good CASE LUBE!

i use dillon case lube when resizing mine, never had a stuck case

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might think about purchasing a reloading manual............. Read the section on "reloading". </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> PAM cooking spray??

I guess the huge savings of $1.90 over Hornady One Shot justifies it...
</div></div>

Whether it's the case lube threads or the bore break-in / cleaning threads, I do so love to read them!
laugh.gif