• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Basic and Advanced Sniper Training at Academi in Moyock, NC

MPDCOP

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
Guys I'm new to Sniper's Hide as a member, but I have been reading the forum for a couple of years. There is a lot of knowledge in some of the members and enjoy them sharing in their trials and accomplishments with equipment, training, and weapons platforms.
I am also new in the discipline of long range engagement with small arms. I have done a lot with CQB, but until recently really had no real knowledge of what it takes to press a trigger and have a round fire accurately at distances over 300 yards.
I would like to share some training that is open to Law Enforcement and Military snipers at the Academi in Moyock, NC. First, I would like to say that I have no affiliation with the Academi other than being a past student. For over 12 years, I have trained all over the United States on SWAT related tactics and firearms instruction and I have seen very good schools and very OK schools. Never been to a bad school or training, because I can always take away something.
A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege to attend the Academi’s Basic and Advanced Sniper Schools. For those who do not know, Academi is a training site in Moyock, NC and was previously owned by a company named Blackwater. Anyway, I have to recommend the training to anyone who is new in the discipline. I started out without knowing anything about it. I did know the basic shooting fundamentals as I have instructed them in tactical carbine and subgun courses for years.
The instructors were down to earth and all had real world knowledge of sniping. It was nice to have prior law enforcement teach along with Special Operators from different branches of the US and Canadian Military. There was none of the egos I have seen at many other Military/ LE schools. It was like going to class with a bunch of guys I’ve known forever.
The Basic is very basic starting with equipment and scopes, but we were on the range after lunch getting dope for our rifles for the altitude and temperature. There were several known distance ranges and at few unknown distance ranges. For a sniper course, I thought I would be in the classroom more than the range. I would say only 1/3 of the time was in power point and the final 2/3 was Milling out targets, calculating wind and distance and firing. The instructors would allow me to experiment and to try just about anything I could think of (as long as it was safe) to steady my rifle and make shots in, around and through structures and onto targets.
All in all, I had a blast (no pun intended). If you or your agency has a little money lying around and you are a sniper or are looking into it, I would recommend trying this out. If you are competent in the discipline, skip the Basic and jump onto the Advanced Class. Be prepared to crawl through swamp, train for more than eight hours per day, adjust to the forever changing winds, recon areas within the compound without being seen by other snipers, and to have a good time while learning how to engage targets up to 1200 yards.
Academi has the Black Bear Inn on site, but I recommend staying in Chesapeake, VA and driving. The food in the mess hall was fantastic for lunches.

That's very good to know. I have experience in urban/cqb tactics but have been bitten by the precision bug recently. I have been debating between this basic course and the one offered by Central Virginia Tactical. I attended a foreign weapons course at Academi/Blackwater/Ex/what ever they are this week and the facilities were astonishing. BTW, are you DC MPD?

Last edited:
@sidewaysil80
No I'm not DC and Im prohibited by PD policy to reveal through any Internet media, thanks to idiots posting dumb stuff.
You will really like a facility and the instructors are high speed.

The courses were quite good when it was Blackwater, when Bill took over, revamped the courses and started teaching. Who is teaching it now?

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I'm somewhere in between Basic and Advanced. Moyock is closer for me and It's a larger facility.

@Graham
Bill is teaching advanced and Tom is teaching the Basic. While I was there, a guy named Nick really had the most influence over my training, because he was with us for the entire two weeks. He is new to Academi, but a damn good instructor. Even though he has been there, done that, he is laid back.
FYI Our class sized maxed at 4.

I'm actually signed up for the Basic Course in Dec of this year with a buddy of mine! The basic is required prior to the advanced course correct? I've got plenty of long range experience, but I'd like to hone in my skills and start competing in sniper matches at a national level. I'm also curious if there is anything else you'd recommend bringing with you to the course that they didn't mention in the gear list? We also picked our lodging at the Bear Inn.. apparently they have a new one being built that will be finished in May... why do you say to stay off campus? I appreciate any info!

So thanks to you guys for the review and I'm glad all worked out with the New guns. So if anyone has any questions about prerequisites or which route is better letter me know as I will be one of guys teaching basic or advanced as well as I can fill you in on some changes we are considering and new courses we are adding.