• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Basic equpment

memo43

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
California
What is the basic equipment I need to shoot F class.
I have a Remy 700 in 308. Can I use a basic rifle rest up front instead of bipods, and Compete. Will this set-up place me in the open category. I primaraly shoot high power AR and Palma but want to try another style. 'Thanks in advance

Memo

Re: Basic equpment

Rifle
FTR bipod
F open with a rest
Rear Bag
Shooting mat or something to lay on
Eye Ear Protection
Hat-for when working the pits, when a shooter hits the spotting pin it shatters and the hat will keep plastic from getting in-between your glasses and eyes
Something to write with
Chamber Flag
Good attitude

Nice things to have
Spotting scope
Spotting scope stand
Cart to haul your junk around with
Chair for when keeping score
Clip board

Thanks to all that have responded. I shot my first F class match this weekend. I am pretty sure it wont be my last, as with any match they are always a blast.
My equipment consited of a remy 5R, 100 bullets 175SMK.
and my shooting gear, most important was a sock filled with lentils for a rear rest. I shot a 197 4x, 195 5x, 195 3x. I was in the service category and although its a small target still pretty fun to shoot. Lay there watch the wind pull the trigger.

Memo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle
FTR bipod
F open with a rest
Rear Bag
Shooting mat or something to lay on
Eye Ear Protection
Hat-for when working the pits, when a shooter hits the spotting pin it shatters and the hat will keep plastic from getting in-between your glasses and eyes
Something to write with
Chamber Flag
Good attitude

Nice things to have
Spotting scope
Spotting scope stand
Cart to haul your junk around with
Chair for when keeping score
Clip board

</div></div>

That's what I brought to my first F T/R Match and haven't changed it that much.
And might want to bring a snack and water.

Memo43, are you in NorCal or SoCal?

If the former, there are F-Class matches next weekend at Sacramento Valley's 1K range.

You can PM me for details if you're up here.

Need some input here guys, I have a Savage M10 hvy barrel 7-08 with 4-16 scope, bipod and super nice trigger..my questions is can the 7-08 make the 600-1000 ranges and if it can any suggestions on loads..I'm a retiree thats just getting started. Initially I will be shooting at the range in Fayetteville, NC..thanks folks I do appreciate any and all help...
SSG, USA Retired

yes, it can do it, and quite well... the 7mm08 will have a ballistic advantage over the 308, w/ less recoil, using the same weight bullets... IE the 175 SMK... load them fast, and you'll be good to go

Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PsyopsE6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need some input here guys, I have a Savage M10 hvy barrel 7-08 with 4-16 scope, bipod and super nice trigger..my questions is can the 7-08 make the 600-1000 ranges and if it can any suggestions on loads..I'm a retiree thats just getting started. Initially I will be shooting at the range in Fayetteville, NC..thanks folks I do appreciate any and all help...
SSG, USA Retired </div></div>

You can get to 1000 pretty easily with a 7-08; however, a 7-08 cannot compete in T-TR. F-TR is limited to 308Win and 223. You will have to compete in F-Open, which which is just what is says, open to all calibers less than .35 and can use front rests.

Come out and shoot, you will learn a ton.

I load for the 308, I don't know what would work best in a 7-08. That said, the case is the same, I'm sure there is a Sierra Match King in the neighborhood of 165-175 that works well probably over about 44 to 45 gn of Varget in Winchester brass. In a standard 24-26" length stock barrel you should be getting 2600 to 2700 FPS. You can use JBM's online calculator to get some decent dope. My first shot ever at 1000 was in the black using JBM numbers.

I have a Rem 700 SA I'm using. I plan on getting a Sightron 24 or 32 power scope, but which bases and rings should I get?

spend the money and get some badger bases and rings. Buy it right the first time.

However if you don't do the badger stuff, TPS seems to be a decent priced ring and base.

KT

My understanding is the heavier 7mm bullets (180gr) need to run around 2900-2950 to perform well at 1000 yards. Wont get there with a 308 case so may need to look at a 168gr 7mm.