• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Basic M-4 Carbine

bkglock

Field Marshal
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2002
USA
I'm looking into getting a no frills, basic iron sighted, M-4.
I have limited experience with this type of gun, and I am on a tight budget. How much do I need to spend? What brands are good? Any and all comments are welcome, thank you.

Re: Basic M-4 Carbine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bkglock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking into getting a no frills, basic iron sighted, M-4.
I have limited experience with this type of gun, and I am on a tight budget. How much do I need to spend? What brands are good? Any and all comments are welcome, thank you. </div></div>

It all depends on what your budget is. If you supply some more info I am sure the Hide members will guide you in the right direction.

BCM and LMT can both be had for under a grand if you shop around. Even the Colt 6920 can be had around that price new. These are high quality guns.

If it's just for fun, Bushmaster, DPMS, and others can be found under 700 used.

Budget is $900.
Any info. on S&W M+P 15 Seems I could get one of these for my budget of $900

I would say my first choice would be a Bravo company if you didn't mind ordering one online. If not my office has a few S&W M&PX's that are pretty nice for the money. You should not have any issues with the smiths.

bargain bin m4 from CMMG, they sell "bargain bin" M4's at local gunshows for $675 so im sure you could call em and get one

When I purchased my entry level AR the one thing I am very glad I did was build the lower myself. It just gave me a better understanding of how things work and would advise you to do the same.

Keep an eye on the classified section here and I am sure you will find an AR that fits your needs for a good price. I have purchased numerous things off this site from accessories and uppers too my complete bolt rifle and optic package I purchased to get into this sport.

Good people and great deals.

Good luck with w.e. you go with.

LMT or Colt,
Like everything else you get what you pay for...

PSA (Palmetto State Armory)

PSA 16" flattop M4 upper $399

PSA lower receiver $65

PSA MOE lower build kit $125

Magpul rear site $50.

PSA's flattop is out of stock, and that was an introductory price. Also, that lower price is a group buy price.

But yes, you can put one together pretty cheap.

colt 6920 its about the best blank canvas you can find . ready to shoot out of the box and as your black rifle disease progress's you will be able to add what you want .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bkglock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Budget is $900.
Any info. on S&W M+P 15 Seems I could get one of these for my budget of $900 </div></div>

I sell a fairly large amount of 223/5.56 AR platform rifles so get to see/handle pretty much all and for the $ the S&W is a fine rifle. As a side in the new 22LR AR style rifles now in vogue I will stick my neck out and say S&W's 22 offering IS the best out there for the $.

I talked PSA Customer Service on the phone, and the Complete 16" Flattop Upper Assembly should be back in stock in another week or two. I've been told that the price should be the same $399.

The Lower Receiver and the MOE Lower Build Kit are both active/current ar15.com Group Buys.

As someone else has said, I would try go get a used Bravo Company AR15. I believe that they have suspended orders for new ones at this time because of a backorder. You may also be able to find a Colt AR15 as well.

I have not heard bad things about the S&W AR15's, but I have never actually shot one and only briefly handled them.

Spikes tactical has there basic m4's for about 750$ supposed to be pretty good.

Spikes looks good. Definitely check the classifieds section. I built my lower and would recommend that as well.

Colt.

There's lots of good ARs out there and any of the above will not have you second guessing your purchase but if you want a classic M4 without all the frills go with Uncle Sam's current right arm.

To just open the box and shoot, the S&W M&P's are pretty good. I carry a Rock River that is built tight and tough, but maybe over your budget.
But, sounds like you can either build one - as listed above, or try a used one. Maybe a good call for the under $900 range.

I to am looking to pick up a new AR and was pretty set on a BCM upper half. but seeing this on palmettos site.... I'm not sure anymore. I have no experience with palmetto state as far as equipment goes so I would like to get some more info on this.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2096.php

not trying to hijack the thread but this looks like a great upper (spec wise) for the OP.

Here is mine:
2sajvgh.jpg

Sights are marked for my favorite load (on top of elev wheel) out to 700 yards.
With irons I will hold about 4 moa at 600, and around 2 moa at 200.
For a little toy rifle I am impressed with how easy it is to shoot.

It was built with parts that were laying around doing nothing.
If I could do it over, I'd like to push the front sight out to the muzzle and go with a mid length gas system, and a rifle or mid length FF tube.
I'd recommend WOA's 16" SS heavy barrel.

Pretty much all the M4's are just not all that different unless you want to pay for the big names. For bargain rifles I normally look for the best deal and go for it. The one great thing about AR's are they are modular and you can make all kinds of changes to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty much all the M4's are just not all that different unless you want to pay for the big names.</div></div>

Sorry I have to disagree. I have used several brands, and the better quality is definitely noticeable in functionality. The only one IMHO you pay more for the name is Colt, and those are fine weapons, too. Some big name companies are cheaper and actually use inferior parts/QC (specifically Bushmaster and DPMS). Wrong gas port size, cheap parts, etc. The best for the money, new and right now, is a BCM upper. You can buy a stripped lower and build it yourself using quality parts, like a lower from G&R, and his LPK is great, or a Daniel Defense LPK. Standard mil-spec stock from BCM, and a Magpul MOE grip. Or just get the complete S&W lower from G&R for $299 and find a friendly FFL for $25. Can be done new for $900-$1,000. Or shop the resale ads...don't buy lower quality new guns.

ETA: I think the S&W would be O.K. except their poor choice of 1:9 twist barrels. Otherwise, I'd trust them to put out a quality AR if you must buy locally and can't find a BCM, Noveske, Colt or LMT.

BCM all the way great customer service even better product and reasonable prices.

I have a bcm upper on one and would use there stuff 10x again.

Not just cuz they sent me a cool hat and sticker either .
I am not rich enough to get pop bottle openers or steak rub with my parts orders

I went ahead and bought the S&W M+P 15 from a local dealer who I do alot of business with, $925. Took it to the range today and put 100 rds. through it. I like it. Adjusted sights for 50 yards.
My intention is to keep this as my main house rifle.

Can't go wrong. You'll do well with that rifle. The M&P are tops for duty carry and keeping the peace at home.

Get a light for it if it's for home defense. Happy shooting! Congrats!

Yes, definitely a light for home defense. Learn about "battle sight zero" and "maximum point blank range." You don't want to be zeroing for 50 yards with that kind of weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Archer762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, definitely a light for home defense. Learn about "battle sight zero" and "maximum point blank range." You don't want to be zeroing for 50 yards with that kind of weapon. </div></div>

Nothing wrong with a 50 yard zero on a AR. xm855 is on the money at 200 with a 50 yard zero in my BCM. From something like 10 yards to 225 yards you are looking at like 2 inches of deviation either way.

Zeroing for 50 yards defeats the BDC function on M4's which are supplied with detachable carry handle sight. This sight, when zeroed for 25 meters, will yield a maximum ordinate about 7 to 10 inches high at 150 meters, and line of sight and bullet path will intersect again at 300 meters. Plus, with hasty adjustment for BDC, KD targets to 600 meters can be engaged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zeroing for 50 yards defeats the BDC function on M4's which are supplied with detachable carry handle sight. This sight, when zeroed for 25 meters, will yield a maximum ordinate about 7 to 10 inches high at 150 meters, and line of sight and bullet path will intersect again at 300 meters. Plus, with hasty adjustment for BDC, KD targets to 600 meters can be engaged. </div></div>

very true. However on a home defense, iron sighted M4gery the last thing i want to worry about is the dial. 50 yard zero, imho, anyway is a good compromise. Just set and forget. Hard to imagine a situation in Home defense where I need to get out to 600 meters. 50 yard zero will be almost same POA/POI from 5 out to 250 which for me is what I want. Goof proof
wink.gif

Post some pics!

On the topic of the light, I am not a fan of the pressure pad switch because you might give away your position when you don't want to or turn it off when you don't want to. But that is just MY preference. Find one that can be switched on easily from your natural grip/hold on the hand guard.

Congrats and have fun!

I vote for LMT. I was able to acquire mine for under $1000. Considered a 'top tier' rifle and proven reliable. Added a 1-4 Accupoint, some rail covers, and a Fenix light.

leanLMT.jpg

lmttk15.jpg

now please jump dont the gun on this one ...YHM makes a very nice carbine ...black diamond XL modal is nice one ...