• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BAT Igniter Action..?

CK1.0

\m/ SLAYER \m/
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2020
Nashville
Looking into actions, I've considered some on the top end price-wise, but had pretty much decided on going with an Origin or Nucleus because dollar-to-performance I think they'll work fine for me, but saw there's a new BAT Machine Igniter action on the scene for about a grand...

Only thing I know about BAT is that they have a really good reputation, and that usually their stuff is generally more pricey...

As far as features/specs, BAT doesn't say or show a whole lot on their site, CRF/pushfeed, etc?

Some things I'm not quite sure I like about it is its semi-unique thread pitch (1.062x18) vs the "Savage threads" of the Origin/Nucleus (that allows use of shouldered or barrel-nut barrels), and ..070" firing pin vs the .062" that most seem to be using these days that is GTG with small or large primers...

Anyone have one yet..?

Jamie Dodson at Wolf Precision can probably answer any questions you have. Also check out episode 65 of his long range shooting and custom rifle building podcast.

Reactions: CK1.0
Jamie Dodson at Wolf Precision can probably answer any questions you have. Also check out episode 65 of his long range shooting and custom rifle building podcast.

I listened to the episode... some good info about the action, but now I have more questions lol.

There's not a whole lot out there it seems about the BAT's "t-slot extractor" he mentioned? Also, I'm still not sold on the proprietary thread/print, seems like a hard push towards Wolf's ACE system or else shouldered barrel only (custom). The BAT action have a great reputation of course, but there aren't any places really doing BAT shouldered prefits yet so there must just not be as many of them out there as they've been more exclusive/expensive. Though, if their tolerances are as tight as they say they are, I guess any barrel shop can download the print and spin one up... just nothing out there at all off-the-shelf... and maybe that's how they want it?

FWIW: Both Kelbly (Atlas) and BAT use 1.0625 x 18 threads.

they're typically seen in a different sport from what we do. benchrest and f class and some have a flat bottom (the newest ones, which makes no sense to me)

It's not fancy but it's still a BAT. Buy with confidence. Sliding plate extractor which keeps the ejection angle in a good spot. Prefits are not a problem. His actions are held to very close tolerances. I don't know whether it has a screw in ignition system or the bayonet type. My BR rifle is old enough to have the screw in system and it will out shoot me any day of the week. I have single digit serial number actions made manually in the mid 90's and can get replacement parts that fit that were made today. This is splitting hairs but I like 1 1/16"-18 threads. Thicker chamber walls. I'll add that the .070" firing is just about perfect with a good fit which you get with a BAT.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the FP diameter. I've got a BAT TR shooting 6.5x47 Lapua and it has no issues with the small primers.

What advantage would a Bat TR have over the igniter?

will be running a 6x47 lapua for PRS comps.

BAT Machine makes one of the nicest actions you'll ever shoot, you don't see many BATS in PRS more in F-Class, ELR, or KO2M really large magnum type. Steve @ BAT is Making me a new Magnum Bolt for my VR Action now, I have quite a few high end actions, worked REM 700 Actions, and Ill tell you none are close to the BAT for me.

Anybody used one of these for prs/that style matches?

Looking for a new build and this is high on the list. Seems they run mini 16 extractors in them now which is nice

Looking at getting an igniter LA bat recommended the HR or Vampire. But i am trying to ball on a budget here. The Igniter LA seems like an awesome deal. Is there something im missing? Looking at building a 300prc. This will be my first custom build so i'm a little green with actions.

From speaking with a few smiths that work with BATs a lot

Not really as long as you’re ok with a not integral rail , don’t mind blued finish and don’t need lightweight of the aluminum for the vampire

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
Didn't really think about the integral rail. Do you think integral is a big deal? I understand one could theoretically move and the other couldn't. But before integral that was the way.

Also thanks for the info really appreciate it!!!

Didn't really think about the integral rail. Do you think integral is a big deal? I understand one could theoretically move and the other couldn't. But before integral that was the way.

Also thanks for the info really appreciate it!!!
Its a non-issue. I personally red lock tite my actions with separate 20min rails into place. Ive only had a rail come loose once, and it was not lock tite.

Looking at getting an igniter LA bat recommended the HR or Vampire. But i am trying to ball on a budget here. The Igniter LA seems like an awesome deal. Is there something im missing? Looking at building a 300prc. This will be my first custom build so i'm a little green with actions.
Vampire is pretty sweet. I have mine sitting in the box waiting for a stock lol. Can send you pics if you want.