• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BAT Tactical SA / 7 SAUM Conversion

BoltRunner

Cold Bore
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2014
Oklahoma
So I've been reading till I'm about blue in the face and wanted to seek some help from guys that have converted short action standard bolt face rifles over to 7 SAUM or 7 SS. I currently have a BAT Machine SA, Bartlein 260 Chambered, AICS Mags, in KMW Sentinel, this barrel is on its way out and I have 3 260 REMS so I'm wanting to turn this into a 7 SAUM in the near future. Cant I get a Magnum Boltface for SA from BAT, grab a 7mm blank barrel, Accurate WSM/SAUM Mags 2.950", and get my smith to chamber this in 7 SAUM...? Or is there more I'm not thinking of here? I would like to run 180gr - 195gr Bergers Mag fed when its all done if possible, this will be a target rifle no hunting or matches. I know this topic has been discussed numerous times but I'm looking more for turning this exact setup I have over to 7 SAUM as opposed to building a new rifle. Any help is appreciated...

Last edited:
Assuming you can get a MAG bolt from BAT and the action has the clearance to run 2.950 through it then you should be good to go

I bet there are quite a few BR/F Class guys running SAUM/WSM from BAT actions

And do 7SS you'll be happier

So I can get a Magnum Bolt after talking to BAT Machine, Model VR Actions have 2.55" Ejector Ports so I should be fine there. Just need to see if there's other issues I'm going to run into. I'm not opposed to going 7 SS as long as the brass availability would be there...

It’s pretty easy to modify AI mags to feed short magnums.
I run 7 saum in a SA Nuke.
If you plan on mag feeding make sure the mag opening in the action is long enough.

It’s pretty easy to modify AI mags to feed short magnums.
I run 7 saum in a SA Nuke.
If you plan on mag feeding make sure the mag opening in the action is long enough.
Still waiting on a call back from BAT on max mag opening on action. Talked to my gunsmith and I currently run 2.850" COAL on my 260 loads, he said even if that's max he could machine the opening a couple thousandths to allow 2.950" COAL no problem. Seems like everything might fall into place pretty easily on this swap but any first hand input is still appreciated before I start buying parts...

Still waiting on a call back from BAT on max mag opening on action. Talked to my gunsmith and I currently run 2.850" COAL on my 260 loads, he said even if that's max he could machine the opening a couple thousandths to allow 2.950" COAL no problem. Seems like everything might fall into place pretty easily on this swap but any first hand input is still appreciated before I start buying parts...
It’s a simple operation to notch a feed ramp like what’s required for 700’s and many clones.
You can easily see if your action has the room
Put a normal AICS mag in and look down into it
Does the feed ramp line up with the binder in the mag or is it lined up with the actual metal inside edge on the magazine body.

It’s a simple operation to notch a feed ramp like what’s required for 700’s and many clones.
You can easily see if your action has the room
Put a normal AICS mag in and look down into it
Does the feed ramp line up with the binder in the mag or is it lined up with the actual metal inside edge on the magazine body.
Good tip Ill give it a look

@Steel head how's availability of 7 SAUM brass pre-crazy times and now in your experience...? Dies would you say Redding Type-S 2PC Competition Set or...?

Last edited:
ADG is all I run.
it comes up available now and then.
Before the crazy started it was easy to find.
I use a Redding body die and a modified Lee collet s as and Forster seater

Reactions: BoltRunner