• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bates Boots problems ?

Ted Howard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2002
Oregon, Eugene
Has anyone using Bates Boots had an issue with the soles splitting ? They crack clean though leaving the boot unusable. This is the second pair they did warranty the first ones. The first pair were the Durashocks and the replacements were the lesser grade. Thinking of something else at this point. Any suggestions ?

Re: Bates Boots problems ?

I have two pair of Bates (6" and low) that have seen a LOT of use. Never had the problem you're describing. However, I'm thinking about some Danners as replacements eventually. No personal experience with them, but I've heard a lot of positive statements regarding their footwear.

Similar problem - the right sole separated from the boot. Did not split, but the glue failed. I have read this is not uncommon.

I have used bates durashocks for years and have never had a problem with them. I have found them to be pretty robust and well made. I bought my last pair about 16 months ago and still going strong.

Ive had quite a few pairs of Bates issued to me over the years and never had a problem with them. Other than the soles being MIGHTY slippery on snow/ice, they were good boots.

Ive had problems with the sole coming apart because of the glue, I tried Danners and threw my Danners away after about two months and went back to Bates. I just hated how heavy the Danners were and didnt think they were as good as everyone had hyped them to me

No experience with Bates but can testify that Danners are definately worth the price of admission. I have 3 pairs, the oldest of which are more than ten years old and were just recently retired from duty use. All Danners are not made in the USA so watch for that when purchasing.

My Bates lights had the sole split but this is after almost 5 years of wear including 2 1/2 years of military service.

Chuck

I had 2 pair of wolverine durashocks do the same thing.(Dont know if its the same sole) I was working as a mech then and turns out the chemicals we were walking in was causing it. Greese, oil, anti-freeze, etc. Switched boots and never had another problem. You walking in chemicals?

I've had Bates issued acouple of times. I'll never have those POS boots again. Both pair fell apart in a few months of working in a jail. No rough use, no outdoor use, just walking on tile & carpet. The soles fell off of both pair. Rocky 911s were no better. I switched to Danner Acadias and never looked back.

I had a pair that the rubber broke down and the soles disintegrated. By the time I got back to the house, all that was left on the bottom was the insole.

These boots were mostly worn in parades and didn't see hard use, but I did have them for several years. I never thought boots would have an expiration date, but these did.