• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision battery life pvs 14

qqqq33

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
Im thinking of getting a pvs 14 for shtf prep but I was wondering how long is the battery life. Am I goign to have to buy a shit ton of batteries or go the solar route.

Re: battery life pvs 14

I haven't been keeping track of hours of use, but I received my 1AA PVS14 in July 2012 and am on my second Energizer Lithium.

Reactions: culater

I bought my pvs-14 for the extract same reason,home defense at night,hunting etc.i don't think that the battery will be a big concern being I use it when needed.
Ron

NV & batteries a big deal if they are old . I was running the tail-end of a bulk pack of AA the past couple weeks & the things crapping out and giving me a low-battery red blink-light after about 10-Hours out in the field . I tossed them all in the dirt last night after I finished hunting .
Really it pays to just get Duracell or Lithium's in the AA .

I also run strictly 9-V Lithium's in my LRF also . & in my Remote for Foxpro call . The smoke detector 9-V . Once you start doing that you will never Go Back to normal 9-V .

I use Lithium in everything. Never had any run out as I replace them after several hunts.

ALWAYS carry extras of anything you are using.

I also remove the batteries if I am not going to be using the devise for several weeks. Batteries are cheap, do not stretch their life!!

I was throwing away good batteries until I decided to check them first. I picked up an inexpensive volt/ohm meter at Harbor Freight for $4.95. Checked it's accuracy against my expensive meter and was surprised how accurate it was. I keep it in my kit all the time now.

One other point about the finer points on Liths's...They do extremely well in cold weather vs. the Alks with consistent voltage across the board.

Vic

Reactions: Pnwpatriot
I too have a PVS-14 for SHTF situation, Hunting and general night pinking. For the SHTF, I have decided on the ELB Rechargeable AA batteries. I do run the Energizer U-Li right now, but if it hits the fan longer term, the PVS-14 will see a lot more action, and eventually the batteries will run out.
The ELB AAs have an advertised mAh of 2800 (about 2400 in real), and over 100 recharges tested to retain at least 90% of the original capacity. These can be recharged using any number of methods (Solar is my choice, as its nearly labor-less and abundant). These batteries are also a bit lighter than most alkaline batteries. They can also carry over into other uses such as Flashlights, Red Dots, GPS, Calculators, etc.

Just my $0.02

Ehhhh... I could usually run my 14's for 5 nights - 8h each... before I needed a change. Sometimes more, sometimes less... but always roughly one weeklong field exercise with extensive night operations.